By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Take On Cinematic Games?

Tagged games:

I love cinematic games, and I love when gameplay subverts to accomodate the story; this being said, I hate when cinematic fails at being cinematic, or gameplay gets way too interrumpted for things that are neither story not important to it, and the player shouldn't really have to endure them.

Around the Network
alternine said:

I hold story in very high regards in my games.

Here's the order for me: Gameplay > Story > Sound and Music > Graphics

The gaming community is getting pretty annoying as of late shunning games that put extra emphasis on the story. 

Yes I know gameplay is a huge factor but imo story and gameplay have equal amounts of importance.

What's your opinion on how the community treats story-driven games?

story driven games are awesome if the story is great, like the wolf among us, the stanley parable and life is strange.

A great mix of that is your profile picture, max payne 3 is very cinematic, the gameplay is good enough and the graphics are awesome.

alternine said:
Soundwave said:
It's kinda give and take. First off video games simply don't have the best writers. If you're a great writer you're not going to pick video games as your profession, you most likely would aim for movies or barring that, TV if you don't want to write books.

So I mean I kinda get it, for me it's very hard to play a 30+ hour single player game of any kind any more unless I feel the story is half way decent. I need to have something to chew on besides just gameplay/exploration for that length of time.

But on the other hand, most video game stories do objectively kinda ... suck. If they were movies you would probably be a lot more critical of them.

I disagree with that considering some games stories are better than movies. Especially better than todays movies thats for damn sure.

Yeah I agree. I like cinematic games and love a good story. After reading books and watching movies for over 20 years I'm loving how games today can tell a story in such unique way. Take your avatar for example, great games with good storytelling and script, I'd say Max Payne 3 is one of my all time favorites. The movie? Omfg..

I hate Metal Gear Solid V.
Also I love QTEs.
People must really hate me

ktay95 said:
Also I love QTEs.

I wouldn't call Metal Gear Solid V "cinematic", though.

Around the Network
Wright said:
ktay95 said:
Also I love QTEs.

I wouldn't call Metal Gear Solid V "cinematic", though.

Exactly -_-

Funny thing is people say cinematic games aren't worth as much money. Meanwhile I'm over here selling all my MP centric games after a couple weeks because I can't keep going through the motions just to move up a leaderboard while I keep cinematic games because I usually find myself re-visiting them annually or bi-annually for a fun (easy mode) playthrough. It's like watching a favorite film of mine. I have gotten more hours out of the Uncharteds or Ratchet and Clank than any MP game.

As far as those who say you should just watch a movie
A. These games still require plenty of input. The Order 1886 will not advance by itself. Hell even Telltale games or David Cage games require you to go about investigating an environment.
B. Many cinematic games at least give me the illusion of choice. Do I wish they all drastically altered the story like Heavy Rain does? Of course. But I also accept Telltale just giving me some fun conversation choices and big choices with what to do with characters. This increases immersion even if it is more like the latter.
C. An 8-12 hour game gets me immersed in the characters and story much more than a movie and I find it a different experience than simply watching. When I was done with the car driving segment in Heavy Rain I was on the edge of my seat and completely white knuckled. In reality I was simply picking left or right but through the graphics and the camera work it got me completely immersed. Something a movie probably couldn't have done or I would have experienced differently if just watching.

So hey you can enjoy your games and I'll enjoy mine but I'm no less of a gamer just because my game plays differently.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Veknoid_Outcast said:
You are of course entitled to your opinion and your favorite games. It's awesome that there are games of all genres, difficulty levels, and accessibilities for different games enthusiasts.

But I'm going to continue to push back against cinematic games because the storytelling demands of cinema do not work well with the interactive demands of video games. One has to be sacrificed for the other. Sometimes, rarely, a game will come along and straddle successfully the line between game and movie - Uncharted 2 comes to mind - but much more often the desire to tell a gripping story through cut-scenes interrupts the flow, pacing, and interactivity of a game. And that, for me, is a mistake.

not every game needs to be demanding to the player though.  Sometimes I just wanna relax and enjoy a game while not dying 50 times or replaying the same section.  I want something more than a movie but less than a Super Meat Boy.  I enjoy cinema and I enjoy games.  Variety is the spice of life and even though I platinumed demon's Souls I have no desire to play it again ever while Heavy Rain I enjoy once a year usually.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
Funny thing is people say cinematic games aren't worth as much money. Meanwhile I'm over here selling all my MP centric games after a couple weeks because I can't keep going through the motions just to move up a leaderboard while I keep cinematic games because I usually find myself re-visiting them annually or bi-annually for a fun (easy mode) playthrough. It's like watching a favorite film of mine. I have gotten more hours out of the Uncharteds or Ratchet and Clank than any MP game.

As far as those who say you should just watch a movie
A. These games still require plenty of input. The Order 1886 will not advance by itself. Hell even Telltale games or David Cage games require you to go about investigating an environment.
B. Many cinematic games at least give me the illusion of choice. Do I wish they all drastically altered the story like Heavy Rain does? Of course. But I also accept Telltale just giving me some fun conversation choices and big choices with what to do with characters. This increases immersion even if it is more like the latter.
C. An 8-12 hour game gets me immersed in the characters and story much more than a movie and I find it a different experience than simply watching. When I was done with the car driving segment in Heavy Rain I was on the edge of my seat and completely white knuckled. In reality I was simply picking left or right but through the graphics and the camera work it got me completely immersed. Something a movie probably couldn't have done or I would have experienced differently if just watching.

So hey you can enjoy your games and I'll enjoy mine but I'm no less of a gamer just because my game plays differently.

*slow clap starts*

I am Iron Man

platformmaster918 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
You are of course entitled to your opinion and your favorite games. It's awesome that there are games of all genres, difficulty levels, and accessibilities for different games enthusiasts.

But I'm going to continue to push back against cinematic games because the storytelling demands of cinema do not work well with the interactive demands of video games. One has to be sacrificed for the other. Sometimes, rarely, a game will come along and straddle successfully the line between game and movie - Uncharted 2 comes to mind - but much more often the desire to tell a gripping story through cut-scenes interrupts the flow, pacing, and interactivity of a game. And that, for me, is a mistake.

not every game needs to be demanding to the player though.  Sometimes I just wanna relax and enjoy a game while not dying 50 times or replaying the same section.  I want something more than a movie but less than a Super Meat Boy.  I enjoy cinema and I enjoy games.  Variety is the spice of life and even though I platinumed demon's Souls I have no desire to play it again ever while Heavy Rain I enjoy once a year usually.

Fair enough. I like mixing it up too. After a game taxing game like Dark Souls I need a lighter puzzle or platform game.

But I always want to feel involved in the process. In some cinematic story-focused games, there's a lot of watching and not a lot of player input, the latter being, for me, the heart and soul of video gaming.