By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky Metacritic - Critic 72, User 5.0

Chazore said:
SWORDF1SH said:
I can see why there are low scores although I thought more reviewers would 'get it'. I personally predicted 84 metacritic and I would rate the game 9 outta 10. Early indication show the best to hope for is mid seventies.
It's immensely impressive what this small team have achieved.

I predicted something near the 80's but it doesn't look like it;s going to happen.

What do you mean specifically by reviewers "getting it"?. It's not the most complex/deep game in the world that needs to be played in the most specific of ways in order to understand the game.

By not 'getting it's I mean that some things that are the strength of NMS is seen as a negative. Like the complaining about the initial grind. For me that's a strength, you have to work for the cool stuff, it's not given to you. It makes anything you achieve in the game much more rewarding. 

But I also get why some give it low scores because it's not their thing. I do feel scoring it a 5 in very unfair though, games in that range are poor broken messes. NMS is not in that range. But that's just my opinion about somebody else opinion lol.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
Chazore said:

I predicted something near the 80's but it doesn't look like it;s going to happen.

What do you mean specifically by reviewers "getting it"?. It's not the most complex/deep game in the world that needs to be played in the most specific of ways in order to understand the game.

By not 'getting it's I mean that some things that are the strength of NMS is seen as a negative. Like the complaining about the initial grind. For me that's a strength, you have to work for the cool stuff, it's not given to you. It makes anything you achieve in the game much more rewarding. 

But I also get why some give it low scores because it's not their thing. I do feel scoring it a 5 in very unfair though, games in that range are poor broken messes. NMS is not in that range. But that's just my opinion about somebody else opinion lol.

50 Is too low for a game. There is still a lot of sites to rate No Man's Sky, the game only have 12 critics on Metacritic.

Mowco said:
fleischr said:
Star Fox Zero has a better metacritic score than this ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Who saw that coming?

I find it interesting to compare the two. One was nearly entirely reviled from when it was first unveiled. The other was massively overhyped. And both came out with similar critical and gamer reception.

I don't find it very comforting to compare the two. One is a horrific entry in a franchise that dissapointed on almost every front, a complete traversty developed by a seasoned developer. The other is an incredibly amibitious project created by a small team, one that is flawed in many peoples opinion but I doubt No Man Sky's critical or gamer reception will be similair to Star Fox Zero in the end.

The main problem people seem to be having with No Man Sky is lack of content in it's world, which can very very easily be fixed with updates, I mean base buidling and freighters are already on the way, space whales have been mentioned too.

People may be underwhelmed by what No Man Sky has to offer at the moment but it will definitely improve, and other than lack of things to do everything else seems good. Star Fox wasn't fixed, and adding more content wouldn't fix it either.

I'm glad that it seems you enjoyed the game however, I just hope the franchise isn't buried permanently now.

Lack of content isn't the problem - it's the direction. Great games give you a sense of achievement and progress. The problem it seems with No Man's Sky is an absence of any aspect of impact and consequence. I don't think it's a game that's easily fixed or enhanced given the ambitious underlying nature of the world building.

Though then again - shouldn't it be possible for No Man's Sky to generate world that has better Star Fox game than Zero? 

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Im not surprised. However i played a demo in store and i enjoyed it. Its no Star Citizen but its simple and i enjoy the art style. 

Looks like a solid 7/10

Yeah, I pretty much expect the game to be divisive. I'm having a blast with it, but it's really not for everyone. Still, 70 is a good score.

Around the Network

I was expecting a bit higher, like 75-80. The game was never my cup of tea, but I thought reviewers would appreciate the large universe more.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

This one of those games where we all are going to have the same yet such different experiences and it you could be like this is a 4-5 and then bam! its an 8-9. could take one player 2 hours or another 10, I hate to be the guys who says give it time it gets good but it really is one of those, I realize what this game is moments and you will love or hate it.

For me this game is exactly what I thought was and I love it, a game that makes me feel like a space traveler :D

SWORDF1SH said:
I can see why there are low scores although I thought more reviewers would 'get it'. 
It's immensely impressive what this small team have achieved.

That's some impressive damage control, there.

The game never looked interesting to me, so it's nice to see some reviewers are being honest about it and we're actually getting properly critical reviews from the "professional" critics.

SWORDF1SH said:

The way you go about "getting it" makes the game seem and sound damn near amazing and perfect and yet a lot of reviews aren't pointing this out. surely it's just that you and some others like those aspects like you do other games that involve them and hardly see them as flaws, thuis not being able to see them as flaws for anything else.

Some will have also scored it lower due to their say on it, not all reviews are labeled as "it's bad because it's not my thing", that's an argument I see used a lot these days in a form to stave fof critism of a game or pointing out  it's flaws. The game has it's shortcomings like many games do and it's happening with NMS and some reviews.

We all have our own opinions but I feel it's naive to claim or state that the game is damn near perfect, not saying you are saying so, but I am getting vibes from the recently formed fandom of the game when it comes to them talking against "bad" reviews. It's no secret that I love Starbound but even I don't think that game is balls to the walls amazing like Jesus nor flawless. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I didn't mind the initial grind, however I do mind having to do it all again now a game breaking bug prevents me from leaving the first system. That and the half dozen crashes I've had so far. Plus I hope the fov will be patched as it's just not very immersive for a space exploration game when looking at everything with blinders on.

I love to explore more of the universe yet so far the gameplay is doing everything it can to prevent me from just that. Hopefully my second playthrough will be more positive. First 8 hours ended on a 3/10 for me.

Greetings from end-of-the-line

Have ship, can't travel, great.