By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MCV: NX Graphics In Between A PS3 And PS4

Nem said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

It was not a mistake to respect you so much after my previous reading error. Most of what you said makes sense and I can respect even if I do not necessarily agree with you. With that said, if you are saying that it is not cheaper to keep everything in one box and that it is not smarter to have what could be your potential system selling capability packaged with the console, then as I said before, stay away from business. Shipping on two separate products can be a slippery slope that in the end, consumers would have to pay. There is no reason a connector for the television would need to be sold separately other than greed and confusion. I think Nintendo needs to keep this thing all together because it will make the most sense to the most people that way. If they just want a hand held, they got one, but if they want to hook it up to their television, for no additional (precieved) cost or (actual) inconvenience, they have that ability as well. It really is that simple.

At least you understand if what is rumored is true that this is a portable that can be connected to a television and not a home console. I will agree that if the price is too high, it will not work. However, what is being presented is not modern technology and relatively inexpensive. I do think they can sell it at the price you mentioned but they may break even as opposed to making profit. Of course, now we are speculating on something else entirely. Technically, it would not be sold at a loss but if they intended profit, they may not like that road and may try for 279 or 300. I refuse to pay above 300 for what the rumors have stated. But if it turns out to be within the 250-300 range, I will squirm but pay for it. Not to say everyone else would, however. I believe 250 is that magic number.

As I stated before, my daughter can link her iphone to our television with a cable that cost me like ten dollars. If Nintendo thinks they can get away with selling the adapter shell for much of anything at all, that would be silly. Fans may pick it up but like Vita with the overpriced memory cards, that could be an undoing for some people. If what is rumored is true then Nintendo may as well just package it in because this shell is basically the same thing as that iphone cable and to think it should cost the consumer anything more on the final price tag would be unacceptable.

I have a major problem with the part that goes "for no additional (perceived) cost". How on hell do you pull that one off? There is no way to pull that off unless this dock is mostly a piece of plastic with no big expensive electronics in it. You also put alot of emphasys on the logistics, but logistics are a part of marketing meant to place the product. Logistics don't determine the product development. 

Aside from that we seem to be in the same ballpark. I do wish you would stop with the respect comments. I don't think either of us cares deeply what another person in the internet thinks of us. Its a message board. We debate and comment ideas, lets stick to that.

As of the current rumors, the shell is exactly that. A piece of plastic with no expensive electronics on it. From this rumor, the shell is used to transfer the video to the television. If that is the case, it would cost just about nothing to produce and should not raise the cost of the console at all. The latter half of your first paragraph I do not follow so I cannot adequately reply to it.

I only go back and forth with people I respect. I will not go on and on with someone that I do not respect. No, I do not care about you, but if you post things I do not respect; rather than argue/debate/engage with a reply, I would simply ignore you. If you have not seen my posting habits, I rarely post. I come here almost daily but only post when I feel there is a true need for my post. Otherwise, I do not waste my time.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If Eurogamer's report is correct and it's using Tegra X1, we should be looking at a similar improvement over Wii U graphics as Wii represented over Gamecube; noticeable but not generational.

I think it's very unlikely that it's the X1. Dev kits may be using that, but that's probably just for the architecture because the new chip isn't released. PS4 Dev kits only had 4 gigs of RAM. 

I think Nintendo is painfully aware that in the portable space they'll need to offer a processing advantage over phones. I think the talk of NX-FX upgrade carts is also intended to help combat the ever-updating mobile world. An upgrade card could be released in 3 years to boost performance and sold along side a New NX. 

TheLastStarFighter said:
curl-6 said:

If Eurogamer's report is correct and it's using Tegra X1, we should be looking at a similar improvement over Wii U graphics as Wii represented over Gamecube; noticeable but not generational.

I think it's very unlikely that it's the X1. Dev kits may be using that, but that's probably just for the architecture because the new chip isn't released. PS4 Dev kits only had 4 gigs of RAM. 

I think Nintendo is painfully aware that in the portable space they'll need to offer a processing advantage over phones. I think the talk of NX-FX upgrade carts is also intended to help combat the ever-updating mobile world. An upgrade card could be released in 3 years to boost performance and sold along side a New NX. 

I dunno, I can't see modern Nintendo going with anything really high end, they haven't done so in 15 years. I suppose it could be the X2, but knowing Nintendo they'll take the weaker option.

Dulfite said:

Yes because soooooo many people have 70" 4k tv's lol. I doubt in the next 5 years, even, if hardly anyone (% wise) has 4k tv's, let alone 70" ones).

I was purposely making an extreme case.
But okay.

Even if it was a 42" 1080P TV, you are still going to see the extreme limitations of the hardware.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

A hand held that can be played on a television is no more a home console than a console that can be played on a controller screen.

Nintendo have often called the device a Home Console.
The device is set to have a dock/method for connectivity to a TV so that it can be played stationary like a Home console, on a TV .
The device is also set to be able to be disconnected from the loungeroom environment and thus become mobile.

Aka. "One device to rule them all".

Thus by it's very definition it's a hybrid.

Definition of "Hybrid". - "a thing made by combining two different elements."
Mobile and Home Console.

NX = Hybrid.

Ergo... It doesn't matter what you think, you can call it whatever you desire, The NX is still by it's very definition a Hybrid device.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

I get it, you are daft. And I have solid reading comprehension.

Grow up and stop with the childish garbage.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

For example, you said you would rather buy two home consoles without mention of hand helds. But if it is both, well, should you not consider buying or sticking to your hand held? No consideration there? Probably because you are comparing it to home consoles. Which it is not.

I have no interest in mobile gaming outside of my Phone.
If you talked to me when I was younger and gaming on the original Gameboy, that answer would be very different.

And I will compare it to Home Consoles when Nintendo itself has made the comparison.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

If the rumors are true, I said before that this console uses mobile technology, cartridges, and has an adapter to hook up to a television.

Just because a device uses mobile technology, doesn't mean it has to be a mobile device.
Think: Ouya, Apple TV, Android TV, nVidia Shield etc'.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

It does not sound like a true hybrid.

It sounds like any device that has any kind of portability in your mind, can never be a hybrid, which is far from reality.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

If Nintendo were to release a new hand held, would it not be released, as all their previous hand helds, during the middle of the home console generation?  It would? Is this the middle of a home console generation? It is? The successor to the 3DS would be released in like 2017, right? That would be six years later, right? Is this console schedueled to be released in 2017? It is? Would it possibly be released in March (same month 3DS was released) instead of Novemeber (where all home consoles have been released in recent memory)? No?

Nintendo released the Wii U, a home console, during the middle of the generation.
Unfortunately I require some kind of translater to understand the rest of what you are trying to convey.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

I wish people called Wii U a hybrid.
I mean technically, it was a hybrid by your standards, too. Right? Hybrid in this case is just a buzzword. Nothing and I mean nothing that we have heard thus far says, "home console."

I have always considered the Wii U a hybrid.

Why do you have so much disdain for Hybrid devices?

GhaudePhaede010 said:

And I know what you stated - but you did not include the rest of my post but I clearly covered that. It is what it is. People who do not compare it to a hand held, even if they call it a hybrid, are doing it a disservice. If the rumors are true. Of course, you will probably not reply, or heavily edit out most of my reply if you do. And in that case, you are a waste of my time. I will cut my losses with you here. But do not think your foolishness falls upon blind eyes. I can see and I pay attention to, everything.

Apparantly there is nothing to see here folks.

curl-6 said:

Agreed.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Your hypocrisy was rife in that post like... just because something uses mobile technology it doesnt... and a hybrid is something that combines...

But my main issue with your post is your audacious claim that WiiU was released in the middle of a console generation. This part of your post alone is why I will not be responding to you again. You do know WiiU came out six years after Wii. The other two consoles came out a year later. That would mean WiiU came out at the END of one console generation and was the FIRST console to come out in the NEXT GENERATION.

By your logic, WiiU was a hybrid. Yet nobody called it a hybrid. And by your logic, my daughters phone is a hybrid but we both know that is untrue. The cable she uses to hook the phone up to the television is called a HYBRID CABLE but the iphone is not, in itself, considered a hybrid.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
JustBeingReal said:

See reply in bold.

A Nintendo third party box maybe when they launched with Wii U in 2012, they had a window, but not now.

Absolutely now, it's not like this part of the cycle has ended for 3rd party, it's just beginning for Nintendo and it has the potential to open up the Nintendo handheld audience as a part of that platform to sell to, which really hasn't happened before, there's never been a time like this where Nintendo could make one platform, with multiple devices, that could potentially have as big a volume of software coming to it as this and the console could easily benefit the most out of this.

Sony and Microsoft are oversaturating the market for that market by releasing basically 2 systems each, there's no room for Nintendo to operate.

Microsoft aren't launching until Holiday 2017, no one knows exactly when Sony are, just that they have an updated version of PS4.

There's room for Nintendo, they actually have proper exclusives, unlike Microsoft, most of who's supposed "exclusive" games are also releasing on PC, that isn't the case for Nintendo, so there's something unique in their platform, that puts them more in a similar position to Sony, if they can entice 3rd party and prove they can sell their games, which requires a few things, most importantly games that you can't get anywhere else, that cater to the audience in question.

I just don't think it would be huge, talk to Sony/MS buyers, they are not sitting around waiting for Disney-esque Nintendo to give them a "Nintendo PS4" that audience left Nintendo a long time ago.

Doesn't need to be huge, Xbox One isn't huge compared to PS4, but it still gets it's share, Nintendo could take that if they were serious.

It's not about Nintendo making a Nintendo PS4 (no need to use red herrings), it's about catering to an audience that was abandoned, they didn't leave Nintendo, they were ignored.

The GameCube did everything basically that you're asking for.

Gamecube was better than Wii U for sure, but it still lacked, yet that as a console sold better than Wii U has, considerably so, which is important here. FYI Gamecube didn't have a unified ecosystem with it's handheld brother, which more recent rumors say is still a thing for NX and Iwata himself did say Nintendo wanted to cater to a wider audience, by breaking down the boundaries between their systems.

Where is it going to sit too ... would it be more powerful than a Neo? Or Scorpio? Probably not, it would just end up being the neglected step-child of home consoles again. 

Value for the console, with reasonable performance, big range of games and flexible options for how you play, that's where it sits.

There's a definite market for all of that, hell a console with an RX 470 could still be very cheap and powerful enough to sit close to the rumored Neo specs, it would only get ignored if Nintendo didn't support it, see Vita in the case of basically being abandoned by 3rd party soon after launch and Sony not putting many of their many sellers on it, along with failing to make new IPs that really spoke to the very audience I'm talking about here.

I bet actually NX will see the best third party support potentially since the Super NES days for a Nintendo console *if* it can run PS4/XB1 ports on the go.

Well if it's a unified platform, like the OS approach I've mentioned in the past I can see that, but it will depend on Nintendo making games to appeal to that audience, globally targeted exclusive games that appeal to a diverse region of the people that buy 3rd party would show people that there's a reason to have one of these devices, whether it's all a tablet/portable console thing or that and a dedicated console/dock device that amps things up or stands by itself, yet able to play everything.

In those cases I can see 3rd party all over giving some support to test the waters, if those games sell well enough then Nintendo would be back in external publisher's good graces.

Even at a reduced resolution like 960x540. They are going to get a shit ton of support from Square-Enix, Capcom, Namco, with things like the *real* Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest games I would bet, not just spin-offs like the Wii got. 

Probably, but it's not just about getting those games, those appeal to people in japan and the more niche audience worldwide, but they need to Watch Dogs, Destinies, GTA, Witcher, etc to really hit hard.

It will be interesting to see if they can pull that off though. 

The problem in the past is developers liked the userbase that Nintendo had on portable, but the portable couldn't run current generation games. Even Rockstar was willing to give the DS a Grand Theft Auto game, but it couldn't run a 3D one.

At the end of the day though it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks, Nintendo is the one that makes the calls and it looks like they've decided to go in this direction. 

I'm just going to enjoy the games, at a minimum for me it will be nice to just buy one Nintendo hardware instead of spending $400-$600 on two and be able to play all the games even things like the new Zelda anywhere, anytime. That's going to be cool, sorry if it doesn't float your boat. 

It's entirely possible for NX to be anything really, just because the rumors say one thing, that doesn't mean it's not something else.

Personally I'd be surprised if there wasn't a standalone console device, because Nintendo has always made one, sure sales have diminished, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved or even skyrocket.

Clearly there's still a very big console sales market, customers are still buying PS4s and XB1s, they were even still buying 360s and PS3s until recently, that's a big reason why I don't think Nintendo will give up on that and having one OS, one API, catered to easy development on more than one device would make that easy to get games on anything within a certain range.

BTW I never said that I'd hate it if NX was just the weaker tablet device or portable console that even sits in the Wii U performance range and gets every bit of software from Nintendo, along with a decent selection of indies and some 3rd party, I just don't think that will sell very well.

I don't think that can compete in the tablet space and Nintendo's handheld market sales will likely decline, with only a small measure of the console side of the market will get one, compared to this generation.

Nintendo needs to talk already, hopefully when "leakers" say that's happening soon they don't mean in October or like the VGAs, I hope it does happen either by the end of this month or September, they need to get people interested before the holidays and start marketing it.

See reply in bold.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

just because something uses mobile technology it doesnt... and a hybrid is something that combines...

What are you even attempting to try to convey?

GhaudePhaede010 said:

But my main issue with your post is your audacious claim that WiiU was released in the middle of a console generation.  You do know WiiU came out six years after Wii. The other two consoles came out a year later.

You are right. It didn't launch in the middle of a generation, I admit I was wrong.
But it did launch almost a couple of years earlier than the Xbox One/Playstation 4 in some territory's.
And it does have hardware that is half a generation behind, if not more.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

This part of your post alone is why I will not be responding to you again.

You constantly make this threat, why don't you follow through for once?

GhaudePhaede010 said:

By your logic, WiiU was a hybrid. Yet nobody called it a hybrid. And by your logic, my daughters phone is a hybrid but we both know that is untrue. The cable she uses to hook the phone up to the television is called a HYBRID CABLE but the iphone is not, in itself, considered a hybrid.

Do I really need to repeat myself?
I consider the Wii U a hybrid device by it's very definition.
You know what the definition of "Hybrid" is don't you?

Phones tend to go everywhere the user goes, they were designed primarily as a portable telecommunications device, the only time they are usually docked/plugged in is to recharge.

Granted you have things like Continuum with Windows Phone so that your Phone ends up being a Desktop/Laptop replacement... Which blurs the lines of traditional devices... But's it's main use-case-scenario is still to be used like a Mobile Phone. - To be held up to your face to make/receive phone calls and/or send text messages.

The NX is a Hybrid Device, plain and simple.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

This is sounding more and more like what they intended the Wii U to be.

JustBeingReal said:
Soundwave said:

A Nintendo third party box maybe when they launched with Wii U in 2012, they had a window, but not now.

Absolutely now, it's not like this part of the cycle has ended for 3rd party, it's just beginning for Nintendo and it has the potential to open up the Nintendo handheld audience as a part of that platform to sell to, which really hasn't happened before, there's never been a time like this where Nintendo could make one platform, with multiple devices, that could potentially have as big a volume of software coming to it as this and the console could easily benefit the most out of this.

Sony and Microsoft are oversaturating the market for that market by releasing basically 2 systems each, there's no room for Nintendo to operate.

Microsoft aren't launching until Holiday 2017, no one knows exactly when Sony are, just that they have an updated version of PS4.

There's room for Nintendo, they actually have proper exclusives, unlike Microsoft, most of who's supposed "exclusive" games are also releasing on PC, that isn't the case for Nintendo, so there's something unique in their platform, that puts them more in a similar position to Sony, if they can entice 3rd party and prove they can sell their games, which requires a few things, most importantly games that you can't get anywhere else, that cater to the audience in question.

I just don't think it would be huge, talk to Sony/MS buyers, they are not sitting around waiting for Disney-esque Nintendo to give them a "Nintendo PS4" that audience left Nintendo a long time ago.

Doesn't need to be huge, Xbox One isn't huge compared to PS4, but it still gets it's share, Nintendo could take that if they were serious.

It's not about Nintendo making a Nintendo PS4 (no need to use red herrings), it's about catering to an audience that was abandoned, they didn't leave Nintendo, they were ignored.

The GameCube did everything basically that you're asking for.

Gamecube was better than Wii U for sure, but it still lacked, yet that as a console sold better than Wii U has, considerably so, which is important here. FYI Gamecube didn't have a unified ecosystem with it's handheld brother, which more recent rumors say is still a thing for NX and Iwata himself did say Nintendo wanted to cater to a wider audience, by breaking down the boundaries between their systems.

Where is it going to sit too ... would it be more powerful than a Neo? Or Scorpio? Probably not, it would just end up being the neglected step-child of home consoles again. 

Value for the console, with reasonable performance, big range of games and flexible options for how you play, that's where it sits.

There's a definite market for all of that, hell a console with an RX 470 could still be very cheap and powerful enough to sit close to the rumored Neo specs, it would only get ignored if Nintendo didn't support it, see Vita in the case of basically being abandoned by 3rd party soon after launch and Sony not putting many of their many sellers on it, along with failing to make new IPs that really spoke to the very audience I'm talking about here.

I bet actually NX will see the best third party support potentially since the Super NES days for a Nintendo console *if* it can run PS4/XB1 ports on the go.

Well if it's a unified platform, like the OS approach I've mentioned in the past I can see that, but it will depend on Nintendo making games to appeal to that audience, globally targeted exclusive games that appeal to a diverse region of the people that buy 3rd party would show people that there's a reason to have one of these devices, whether it's all a tablet/portable console thing or that and a dedicated console/dock device that amps things up or stands by itself, yet able to play everything.

In those cases I can see 3rd party all over giving some support to test the waters, if those games sell well enough then Nintendo would be back in external publisher's good graces.

Even at a reduced resolution like 960x540. They are going to get a shit ton of support from Square-Enix, Capcom, Namco, with things like the *real* Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest games I would bet, not just spin-offs like the Wii got. 

Probably, but it's not just about getting those games, those appeal to people in japan and the more niche audience worldwide, but they need to Watch Dogs, Destinies, GTA, Witcher, etc to really hit hard.

It will be interesting to see if they can pull that off though. 

The problem in the past is developers liked the userbase that Nintendo had on portable, but the portable couldn't run current generation games. Even Rockstar was willing to give the DS a Grand Theft Auto game, but it couldn't run a 3D one.

At the end of the day though it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks, Nintendo is the one that makes the calls and it looks like they've decided to go in this direction. 

I'm just going to enjoy the games, at a minimum for me it will be nice to just buy one Nintendo hardware instead of spending $400-$600 on two and be able to play all the games even things like the new Zelda anywhere, anytime. That's going to be cool, sorry if it doesn't float your boat. 

It's entirely possible for NX to be anything really, just because the rumors say one thing, that doesn't mean it's not something else.

Personally I'd be surprised if there wasn't a standalone console device, because Nintendo has always made one, sure sales have diminished, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved or even skyrocket.

Clearly there's still a very big console sales market, customers are still buying PS4s and XB1s, they were even still buying 360s and PS3s until recently, that's a big reason why I don't think Nintendo will give up on that and having one OS, one API, catered to easy development on more than one device would make that easy to get games on anything within a certain range.

BTW I never said that I'd hate it if NX was just the weaker tablet device or portable console that even sits in the Wii U performance range and gets every bit of software from Nintendo, along with a decent selection of indies and some 3rd party, I just don't think that will sell very well.

I don't think that can compete in the tablet space and Nintendo's handheld market sales will likely decline, with only a small measure of the console side of the market will get one, compared to this generation.

Nintendo needs to talk already, hopefully when "leakers" say that's happening soon they don't mean in October or like the VGAs, I hope it does happen either by the end of this month or September, they need to get people interested before the holidays and start marketing it.

See reply in bold.

I don't believe there's room. Beyond that I don't suppose it ever occured to anyone that Nintendo simply doesn't want to be like Microsoft or Sony. They just don't. At some point it becomes like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. 

They don't want to be that company, they've had 100 chances to go that route over the last 20 years and have basically refused to do so every single time. Get Resident Evil exclusive? Ah yeah, Nintendo going hardcor ... oh wait they made their console purple and cell shaded Zelda ... riiiiiight. 

I don't think NX is going to be the PS4-killer console. Nintendo doesn't want to make that machine, you can rationalize why they should a million different ways, but they aren't going to listen. 

And maybe at this point it's for the best anyway. Maybe this approach fails but the opposite approach could fail just as easily. 

Nintendo is a kid-friendly/toy-centric company. That is their heritage and honestly I don't see them changing that. 

The graphical upgrade from PS3 to PS4 is mediocre at best and sometimes you can't even tell the difference, so i wonder where this source got this "somewhere in between" statement? Unless he's referring to specs and raw power which i guess would make sense.