By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MCV: NX Graphics In Between A PS3 And PS4

Soundwave said:
leo-j said:

Ye well Sony was in a way better position than Nintendo is right now in regards to third party support on launch, Vita did have a horrible library vs the 3ds at first, but it had more third party support than the Wii u.... And if nx is the next console good luck Nintendo 

You do realize even the 3DS is going to outsell every Nintendo console ever with the exception of the Wii, right?

Portable is simply Nintendo's comfort zone, consoles haven't been for a long time. 

The console industry has basically devoled into hyper violent, dark action shooters and sports sims and little else. People who play portable games, even mobile games are much more open to colorful style games. 

I'm not sure how you can really say this, there's certainly a decent market for colorful RPGs and action/adventure games, along with deep and challenging RPGs, hell games like The Witcher 3 show people want this on consoles, Zelda Breath of The Wild has gotten a great reception from it's recent marketing, Souls/Borne while not the biggest sellers have a solid and consistant audience within the console space.

Horizon Zero Dawn isn't a dark shooter and that has garnered massive attention from the media.

Seems like the market wants more from their games than hyperviolent stuff, the attention these titles have gotten goes to show that, they're certainly full of color too.

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Please Nintendo, ignore the fuck out of this guy. Put everything in the box, save us money and yourself shipping, and make sure everyone gets the full understanding of what this thing is right out of the box. The lowest common denominator will not want to go through that crap when their iphone can hook up to a television with the use of a ten dollar cord. Terrible idea. Terrible.

We are all just speculating off rumors, genius. Too bad my idea is too complicated for you.

Of course we are speculating. Your idea is not complicated, it is stupid. And I am not afraid to tell you that.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

JustBeingReal said:
Soundwave said:

You do realize even the 3DS is going to outsell every Nintendo console ever with the exception of the Wii, right?

Portable is simply Nintendo's comfort zone, consoles haven't been for a long time. 

The console industry has basically devoled into hyper violent, dark action shooters and sports sims and little else. People who play portable games, even mobile games are much more open to colorful style games. 

I'm not sure how you can really say this, there's certainly a decent market for colorful RPGs and action/adventure games, along with deep and challenging RPGs, hell games like The Witcher 3 show people want this on consoles, Zelda Breath of The Wild has gotten a great reception from it's recent marketing, Souls/Borne while not the biggest sellers have a solid and consistant audience within the console space.

Horizon Zero Dawn isn't a dark shooter and that has garnered massive attention from the media.

Seems like the market wants more from their games than hyperviolent stuff, the attention these titles have gotten goes to show that, they're certainly full of color too.

Disney can't even sell Disney Infinity anymore and are bailing out of the console market entirely. Sony themselves have said they wish more colorful games would be viable in the market ... but the fact is they're not. 

The home console especially with the advent of HDTV has become more and more specialized on violent action shooters and sports sims and nothing but. Look at the NPD every month it's basically just that same thing every month and Minecraft and that's it. 

But look at mobile and 3DS ... there are plenty of colorful/cartoony games that enjoy *blockbuster* success. Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Pokemon Go, Fruit Ninja, Clash of Clans, etc. etc. on mobile, Mario/Kirby/Pokemon/Yoshi/Mario Kart on Nintendo 3DS. 

It's just the market changing, people simply do not want to play colorful/cartoony games on the big HDTV, that's for realistic violent shooters and NBA/Madden/FIFA/Forza/GT time, that's the long term impact of Sony/MS consoles IMO. The vibrant/diverse console industry of Nintendo/Sega is sadly gone. Even Crash Bandicoot is gone, now replaced by things like Uncharted (which is "lighthearted") and Last of Us. Microsoft keeps Banjo-Kazooie on ice. Japanese games are shunned even, not "serious" enough. 

Console market has changed, Nintendo will be better off with this approach (a portable console), they can do very well on the portable scene as long as they learn to work WITH Android/iOS rather than trying to fight them. Portable gamers not only accept cartoony games with open arms, cartoony games dominate both mobile and dedicated portable. 

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Solid-Stark said:

We are all just speculating off rumors, genius. Too bad my idea is too complicated for you.

Of course we are speculating. Your idea is not complicated, it is stupid. And I am not afraid to tell you that.

And should you be? Geez take it easy.

Oh sure it's like linked devices are a new thing and not used by the masses in varying forms already. Nor are they successful.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Nem said:

Curious... because when Microsoft bundled the kinect people weren't so happy. I wonder why...

If I have to explain to you why bundling Kinect was a bad idea... then it makes perfect sense why you think your idea is a good one. Just trust me, save us both the reading and understand that is a horrible idea.

You are making alot of leaps here. I didn't sugest anything, you have me confused with the other guy. I poked a hole in your logic.

If bundling things people don't want didn't work for MS, why would it work for Nintendo when it's just inflating the price?

Around the Network

whoa! i want one! portable with that much power! TAKE MY MONEY!!! and give em some more marios and zeldas and donkey kongs!

Soundwave said:

JustBeingReal said:

Disney can't even sell Disney Infinity anymore and are bailing out of the console market entirely. Sony themselves have said they wish more colorful games would be viable in the market ... but the fact is they're not. 

If Sony didn't think colorful games weren't viable then they wouldn't have spent a tonne of cash on Horizon, wouldn't have bothered having Japan Studio make Knack, The Last Guardian, port Gravity Rush overto PS4 and make a sequel, get Media Molecule to develop Tearaway Unfolded and Dreams for PS4, the list really does go on and on for colorful games coming to PS4.

The fact is actually colorful games are most definitely viable for the console market.

Disney Infinity is one example of a failure of that kind of thing, but Lego games and Skylanders are still doing well, so really that makes your point moot.

The home console especially with the advent of HDTV has become more and more specialized on violent action shooters and sports sims and nothing but. Look at the NPD every month it's basically just that same thing every month and Minecraft and that's it. 

No they haven't, they have those games and they sell well, but they're certainly not what consoles were only made for, I've given a load of examples of games that have sold really well, well over a million per release, in the case of The Witcher 3 it's done incredibly well and beyond that.

Actually what you'll find is that it's the stories or the social aspect of the popular games that make them sell really well, hell even GTA has a lot of depth to it and funnily enough it's also a very colorful game.

But look at mobile and 3DS ... there are plenty of colorful/cartoony games that enjoy *blockbuster* success. Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Pokemon Go, Fruit Ninja, Clash of Clans, etc. etc. on mobile, Mario/Kirby/Pokemon/Yoshi/Mario Kart on Nintendo 3DS. 

The games you're talking about are mindless experiences, they're collectathons or games that you can use to cloud watch, not deep experiences, so you're saying that this is what Nintendo should emulate or that will be the market Nintendo should target their franchises at, not a good idea for gamers.

It's just the market changing, people simply do not want to play colorful/cartoony games on the big HDTV, that's for realistic violent shooters and NBA/Madden/FIFA/Forza/GT time, that's the long term impact of Sony/MS consoles IMO. The vibrant/diverse console industry of Nintendo/Sega is sadly gone. Even Crash Bandicoot is gone, now replaced by things like Uncharted (which is "lighthearted") and Last of Us. Microsoft keeps Banjo-Kazooie on ice. 

Actually the market wants a wide breadth of experiences, that's why Ubisoft developed Steep, why Sony commissioned Guerrilla Games to work on Horizon (they moved them away from Killzone, when they could have made them develop another Killzone).

Ratchet is still a thing and Insomniac are also making the exclusive Spiderman game for PS4, which is very colorful.

Looking at Sony's line-up it's certainly not all shooters and sports games like you're insinuating.

Part of the reason Sony have done so well is the diversity of their line-up, they hit that out of the park.

Console market has changed, Nintendo will be better off with this approach (a portable console), they can do very well on the portable scene as long as they learn to work WITH Android/iOS rather than trying to fight them. Portable gamers not only accept cartoony games with open arms, cartoony games dominate both mobile and dedicated portable. 

The console market is all about diversity of gaming options and this is more true now then ever before, with the variety of AAA and indie options.

Nintendo's best bet is to try and open up their developers to making games that cater to the 3rd party console market, then focusing their marketing campaign for NX on how people can play these games anywhere they want on their NX device, turning NX into a device among many within the enormous Android/iOS sea of devices isn't the way to go, they won't stand out.

Being the dedicated gaming platform that allows gamers to play solid experiences, the kind of experiences they wouldn't be able to take with them when they leave the house if they had another console or if they want secondary system to offer them true portability for those kinds of experiences, then they can have that in NX.

People already have Android Tablets and iPads for the kind of things you're talking about.

You're wrong about the console market being focused on the kinds of games you singled out, it just isn't that way in the real world or even within the bubble of this forum.

See reply in bold.

Wouldn't that be Wii U graphics? And isn't that kinda what we already expected?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

leo-j said:
No, the 3ds will not outsell the Ds, and it has been dropping hard in sales year after year despite the release of the new 3ds...... They cannot compete with the mobile space....

I'm just wondering why you typed those two sentences in a thread about NX graphics power.  I'd like to know who the hell has been saying the 3DS would outsell the DS around here?  Because to my knowledge that would be a very small percentage of people that ever thought that after the rocky 3DS launch.

Amazing news, and I hope Soundwaves analisis is true.

Between PS3 and PS4 level of graphics is amazing.

And if it really has the brand new Tegra 2 chip and costs only $250, that's simply incredible and would be a huge success.

Day one. Can't wait.