By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 2016: 3.5M PS4, Game Division Posts 44 billion Yen Operating Profit

pokoko said:
Selling batteries? That makes me sad. Sony coin batteries are almost iconic.

Yep, when I need good bateries that is where I would look.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
Turkish said:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q1_sonypre.pdf

or easier for the eyes

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211804284&postcount=38

So from that report the Game and Network Services raked in 44 billion Yen while the company on a whole brought in 56 billion Yen (44 biilion Yen gaming and 12 billion Yen for rest of company). While the G&NS is up 25 billion Yen more from Q1 a year ago, Sony on a whole is  down 41 billion Yen.

Maybe kowenicki or ZhugeEX can apply a bit of context to it.

Some segments had a negative operating profit, thus reducing Sony's overall profit. Gaming wasn't even the segment that made the most operating profit lol. That was financial services.

Intrinsic said:
Ok now I'm confused. And I used to be good with shit like this.

What's the difference between sell in to retail and production shipments?

Cause I was under the impression that anything that's not "sold in to consumers" is a "production shipment". Was also of the impression that the only hardware numbers Sony puts up in these reports are shipped numbers.

Which means that the 43.5M is a total LTD shipped number.

come on ZhugeEx set me straight here!!!

Sure. 

So before 2006 (Before PS3 launch), Sony used to report Production Shipments. 

A Production Shipment is from the Manufacturer to Sony's distribution centers. 

A Consolidated Shipment (PS3 & PS4) or Sell In as it is commonly known is a Shipment from the Manufacturer, to the distribution center, then to the retailer. 

So Production Shipments are artificially higher as they may not have been purchased or shipped to retailers just yet. Back in the day this was the preferred method by everyone, but in tbhis digital age they use Sell In. 

Both are similar, but not the same. 

As an example. 

Sony reported that they had production shipments of 1.84 million for the first quarter of PS3 sales, but in actuality, only 1.66 million were sold in to retailers. 

The above is not to be confused with sell through which is the sale from retail to consumer. 

Amazing it is keeping up with PS2 given Japan's shrinking market.

ZhugeEX said:
Intrinsic said:
Ok now I'm confused. And I used to be good with shit like this.

What's the difference between sell in to retail and production shipments?

Cause I was under the impression that anything that's not "sold in to consumers" is a "production shipment". Was also of the impression that the only hardware numbers Sony puts up in these reports are shipped numbers.

Which means that the 43.5M is a total LTD shipped number.

come on ZhugeEx set me straight here!!!

Sure. 

So before 2006 (Before PS3 launch), Sony used to report Production Shipments. 

A Production Shipment is from the Manufacturer to Sony's distribution centers. 

A Consolidated Shipment (PS3 & PS4) or Sell In as it is commonly known is a Shipment from the Manufacturer, to the distribution center, then to the retailer. 

So Production Shipments are artificially higher as they may not have been purchased or shipped to retailers just yet. Back in the day this was the preferred method by everyone, but in tbhis digital age they use Sell In. 

Both are similar, but not the same. 

As an example. 

Sony reported that they had production shipments of 1.84 million for the first quarter of PS3 sales, but in actuality, only 1.66 million were sold in to retailers. 

The above is not to be confused with sell through which is the sale from retail to consumer. 

So we could say something like the numbers have a 1 or 2 week time difference when sales are steady between production shipment and sell in.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
SWORDF1SH said:

So from that report the Game and Network Services raked in 44 billion Yen while the company on a whole brought in 56 billion Yen (44 biilion Yen gaming and 12 billion Yen for rest of company). While the G&NS is up 25 billion Yen more from Q1 a year ago, Sony on a whole is  down 41 billion Yen.

Maybe kowenicki or ZhugeEX can apply a bit of context to it.

Some segments had a negative operating profit, thus reducing Sony's overall profit. Gaming wasn't even the segment that made the most operating profit lol. That was financial services.

Yeah I see that. The financial segment and gaming segment are about the same.

Very nice report for Sony.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

We need playstation to be around in the future too, so Im glad its makeing them profit.
Hopefully it grows again because of all the services that can tie into it, and if sony ever goes under, someone steps in and buys playstation.

And that is inspite of the strong yen. Very impressive figures for Sony. Obviously Vita is clearly responsible for this success.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
And that is inspite of the strong yen. Very impressive figures for Sony. Obviously Vita is clearly responsible for this success.

All praise the mighty Vita.