By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 2016: 3.5M PS4, Game Division Posts 44 billion Yen Operating Profit

So games, TV's, financial, music, and camera's made money while film's and components/semiconductors lost money not bad. Oh and phones broke even.

Sony should sell the camera and phone businesses they are shrinking in sales every quarter. Smartphones in particular are just to competitive look at Xiaomi a smartphone darling in 2015 and irrelevant in 2016 falling off the top 5 sales charts.

Around the Network

That's about $400M profit. For anyone wondering how that compares to Nintendo: they also posted a figure close to $400M, but it was in the red.

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

Turkish said:
That's about $400M profit. For anyone wondering how that compares to Nintendo: they also posted a figure close to $400M, but it was in the red.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q1_sony.pdf

Sony made $200 million net profit for the quarter overall. Segment profit doesn't help when the rest fails.

Considering most were expecting a fairly significant loss due to the earthquakes vastly affecting their semiconductor business, this is actually a really nice result for them. But yeah, Playstation is really their company strength at the moment. Hopefully they can keep it going in the face of the strengthening Yen. 

SWORDF1SH said:
Game division is doing great, rest of company not so great.

If you bothered to read the financial report itself you wouldn't have to keep on repeating a years old myth. No it's not just games doing great. They've at least 1 more division making more money, Home Entertainment doing good and Mobile not losing money anymore. The unfortunate earth quake in Japan caused them to lose money in semiconductors but otherwise it's another strong division.

Around the Network

3.5 million PS4 sold in Q1 2016. This is compared to 3.0M in Q1 2015.

This really puts things into perspective considering PS4 is down YoY in the US for the quarter by 80k. That just means Europe and Asia are considerably picking up the slack by at least 80k+ 500k compared to last year.

Turkish said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Game division is doing great, rest of company not so great.

If you bothered to read the financial report itself you wouldn't have to keep on repeating a years old myth. No it's not just games doing great. They've at least 1 more division making more money, Home Entertainment doing good and Mobile not losing money anymore. The unfortunate earth quake in Japan caused them to lose money in semiconductors but otherwise it's another strong division.

Chill out!

The link says I have to subscribe and not sure where to find finacial report.

The only thing I've read is link below which suggests the only reason Sony is doing good is because of PS4.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-warns-over-falling-sales-075817707.html

Good for gaming division. Others are not doing well. Home console market is Sonys playground.

Ok now I'm confused. And I used to be good with shit like this.

What's the difference between sell in to retail and production shipments?

Cause I was under the impression that anything that's not "sold in to consumers" is a "production shipment". Was also of the impression that the only hardware numbers Sony puts up in these reports are shipped numbers.

Which means that the 43.5M is a total LTD shipped number.

come on ZhugeEx set me straight here!!!

Turkish said:

Is that flamebait...?

Anyway, idiotic comparison, firstly net loss is 235m, thats not close to 400m... Eh? Secondly, you compared sony's operating profit with Nintendo's net loss instead of operating loss which was 49m$... Well done!

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro