By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 2016: 3.5M PS4, Game Division Posts 44 billion Yen Operating Profit

The Tweets finally turned up again. Has anyone got an idea why they sometimes don't display on this site?

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
mountaindewslave said:

erghhh Sony has debt, it really does matter.

Good for Sony though.

although I will mention that '44 billion yen' sounds awesome but then you remember that 100 yen (roughly) = 1$ and it becomes less incredible. Unfortunately for Sony as a whole their video game division is basically the only branch currently making money

Microsoft has debt, what is your point?

Also, that is completely false information. Gaming wasn't even the branch making the mist money this quarter. There are links to the report in this thread. Use them and check the info *before* you make erroneous statements like that.

And how would we have fun then?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Better than I expected.

KBG29 said:
I wonder how long it will take Sony to trnsition Xperia over to PlayStation Mobile?

It can't be much longer before they drop Android and the Xperia brand, and bring out a Phone/Tablet/Handheld based on the PS4 OS and APU. I am guesing we could see something as soon as 2018 or 2019 depending on when 7nm FinFET becomes mass producable.

This would be a much more profitable route for them then the current Xperia situation. Even if they only moved the same 3 Million mobile units each quarter, it would bring in much higher revenue and profits, since they would get every dollar spent on the device.

After Kaz's comments earlier this year, about mobile not seeing any innovation in nearly a decade, I think they are definitly looking to do something different, and the PlayStation ecosystem is there ultimate play to disrupt the current mobile market.

Highly doubt it. Sony knows that well is drying. People are perfectly fine with gaming on their phones and tablets if they want a handheld.  I also doubt they'd drop Android. It's the number one OS in phones/tablets.  As MS proved, people aren't interested in yet another OS competing in the phone or tablet market.

thismeintiel said:
KBG29 said:
I wonder how long it will take Sony to trnsition Xperia over to PlayStation Mobile?

It can't be much longer before they drop Android and the Xperia brand, and bring out a Phone/Tablet/Handheld based on the PS4 OS and APU. I am guesing we could see something as soon as 2018 or 2019 depending on when 7nm FinFET becomes mass producable.

This would be a much more profitable route for them then the current Xperia situation. Even if they only moved the same 3 Million mobile units each quarter, it would bring in much higher revenue and profits, since they would get every dollar spent on the device.

After Kaz's comments earlier this year, about mobile not seeing any innovation in nearly a decade, I think they are definitly looking to do something different, and the PlayStation ecosystem is there ultimate play to disrupt the current mobile market.

Highly doubt it. Sony knows that well is drying. People are perfectly fine with gaming on their phones and tablets if they want a handheld.  I also doubt they'd drop Android. It's the number one OS in phones/tablets.  As MS proved, people aren't interested in yet another OS competing in the phone or tablet market.

Here's the thing though. 

1. Sony is making no money in the current mobile market, and the Xperia brand is in a continual decline. They have no way to advance in the Android market without compromising PlayStation and PlayStation Network.

2. Buy entering the market with a PlayStation branded mobile platform that is tied into the PS4 ecosystem, they already have 1000's of games and apps available from day one. They also make more money from the hardware and software, and they have no pressure to sell units. If they only sell 3 Million a year, that is perfectly fine, because they make money, and ever so slightly increase their own marketshare. All while not wasting time building custom versions of Android for a device that brings them no income.

3. Microsoft prooved nothing. They came in with a me to device that did not feature every me to option on the market. If Sony and Microsoft want to succeed at taking on Apple and Google, they have to be innovative and unique. They need to leverage PlayStation and Xbox to make head way. Microsoft is doing a great job with UWA right now, and they will definitly be ready to go back on the attack once 7nm FinFET is available. By then an Xbox/Windows phone will be just as supported as Android and iOS, but have the added benefit of a 10,000 games from PC, 360, and XBO. Put out a Vita like device, and they would grab a good chunk of the market.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
thismeintiel said:

Here's the thing though. 

1. Sony is making no money in the current mobile market, and the Xperia brand is in a continual decline. They have no way to advance in the Android market without compromising PlayStation and PlayStation Network.

2. Buy entering the market with a PlayStation branded mobile platform that is tied into the PS4 ecosystem, they already have 1000's of games and apps available from day one. They also make more money from the hardware and software, and they have no pressure to sell units. If they only sell 3 Million a year, that is perfectly fine, because they make money, and ever so slightly increase their own marketshare. All while not wasting time building custom versions of Android for a device that brings them no income.

3. Microsoft prooved nothing. They came in with a me to device that did not feature every me to option on the market. If Sony and Microsoft want to succeed at taking on Apple and Google, they have to be innovative and unique. They need to leverage PlayStation and Xbox to make head way. Microsoft is doing a great job with UWA right now, and they will definitly be ready to go back on the attack once 7nm FinFET is available. By then an Xbox/Windows phone will be just as supported as Android and iOS, but have the added benefit of a 10,000 games from PC, 360, and XBO. Put out a Vita like device, and they would grab a good chunk of the market.

No, MS's problem is the one they always have.  They try to conquer markets that have already been conquered years ago.  And usually already have a strong 2nd competitor. They then think they can lock down content to their product, which really just angers people, then throw tons of money at advertising the crap out of said product.

Another problem is if you leverage your brand to go after the big boys, and fail, you diminish your brand.  You don't need to be the king of every market.  It would be much wiser for Sony to continue to push their PS brand where it makes sense, gaming and new markets (like internet TV and VR), not try to take over ones that have already been conquered long ago.

Sony is pounding that snizz!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

DonFerrari said:
Teeqoz said:

Microsoft has debt, what is your point?

Also, that is completely false information. Gaming wasn't even the branch making the mist money this quarter. There are links to the report in this thread. Use them and check the info *before* you make erroneous statements like that.

And how would we have fun then?

Ha ha. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

thismeintiel said:
KBG29 said:

Here's the thing though. 

No, MS's problem is the one they always have.  They try to conquer markets that have already been conquered years ago.  And usually already have a strong 2nd competitor. They then think they can lock down content to their product, which really just angers people, then throw tons of money at advertising the crap out of said product.

Another problem is if you leverage your brand to go after the big boys, and fail, you diminish your brand.  You don't need to be the king of every market.  It would be much wiser for Sony to continue to push their PS brand where it makes sense, gaming and new markets (like internet TV and VR), not try to take over ones that have already been conquered long ago.

The thing is Sony does not need to be the King of the mobile market. They just need to sell a device that allows people to stay in thier ecosystem whether they are at home or on the go. If they can sell 15 Million devices a year, then that would be a highly sucessful platform. It would only be the same marketshare they have now in the mobile space, but the profits from their customers would be many times higher. 

I agree with you to an extent about Microsoft, however, I still feel they did not leverage their own IP or create anything unique.  Had they made a Vita like device that ran Xbox games, and had access to a mobile version of their productivity software, they would have gained a decent foot hold, and from their they could have seen year over year growth for a long time to come. 

As I have said, I think both companies will come with a new mobile approach in the next 3 years, and both will find a decent hold in the market. Probably only 5% share a piece but, it will be a highly profitable 5%, and will give them more success than companies with much larger shares of the Android space.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL