By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: NX is different, and different is Nintendo´s best option (bit of a long text)

I feel like I'm in an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Around the Network

Wow what a puff piece. This honestly feels more self congratulatory than informative or a reasoned attempt to defend the NX. They give no real reasons, just basically shout "WE WERE RIGHT! And we were always going to be because REASONS"

Nuvendil said:
Wow what a puff piece. This honestly feels more self congratulatory than informative or a reasoned attempt to defend the NX. They give no real reasons, just basically shout "WE WERE RIGHT! And we were always going to be because REASONS"

Considering they were flat out wrong with the 3DS, I wouldnt celebrate this early if I were them.

This seems like a WiiU 2.0. If this last rumors are true there are 2 things that scare me.
IMHO nintendo always sucked when it come to battery, batterys are the black sheep of tecnology. How many hours would this thing be able to run by itself? Smartphones struggle with this. The shape of the NX is unknown, but the screen/battery mass shoudnt be lot different than the wiiu, good batteries are expensive. Can nintendo balance this constraints?
And not only that, we need to add processing power, of course that in handheld mode the thing could use worse textures, no AA, etc, and in console mode use the "normal" thing. How to balance this constraints: battery, specs vs costs of hybridization(cost of having the 2 modes, in creating software for both, the hardware for both, etc) in a near perfect way?
This is beyond if the NX should be on par with PS4 or the others to get third party, or when it should launch, although all is related.
I think this is what the wiiu should have been. Nintendo can do this console, it will be interesting see what they will bring. I believe sony could do the exact thing cheaply because they are better at designing hardware (opinion)

If all the rumours are true they are making something that is AMAZING for SOME people but most of us want either a good handheld or a good home console and they are going to either make a product for a very good price-value that offers extra options that everyone will like or..

What I am afraid of is that they are making a product that is supposed to be for everyone but will eventually appeal only to those who really use both functionalities and in the end that won't be a lot of us.

I can just see it in my own friends circle, most have an Xbox, WiiU or Ps4 and just like to play on the TV, others, especially my twitter followers, have a 3ds or PSVita and just have no interest in playing on a TV.

I am sure there are exceptions but I don't think they want to target exceptions, they want to target everyone, like they did with the Wii and that is just NOT going to happen with this product.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

I've had a Wii U since launch and I don't think it suck at all.  While the number of games on it is small, most of the games that I've bought have been great.  Just because you think it sucks doesn't make that fact...just opinion.

Stop hating and start playing.

When AMD's current GPUs are selling for as cheap as they are I feel the parts in that opinion piece saying that Nintendo doesn't have the stomach to put out a comparable spec system is pretty fallacious tbh.

Eurogamer are acting like they've been proven correct already about NX and what it really is, but they've been wrong about the hardware 3DS and Vita had before.
As SuperMetaldave64 pointed out in his recent video NVidia has said a thing about winning any business from a console maker or developing any semi-custom SOC or chip for an external partner, seems odd that they wouldn't add that to their income statements and talk about added revenue to their bottom line.

Nintendo's problem in the past is that they haven't made games that appeal to the biggest market in the dedicated gaming space, namely western 3rd party gamers.
They could easily make titles that are less tarted for the eastern market, like Asia or their core Nintendo gamers, to gain new business.
Making a system with capable specs benefits every developer, even Nintendo's own studios and considering that even tiny Indie studios with teams of less than 20 people can make games to take advantage of high end PC specs I find it hard to believe that an experienced game development group like Nintendo couldn't put out a host of games to do so on a more powerful system than XB1 or PS4.

NX could have a console unit that sits under your TV, with a GPU on par with the RX 460 and a Zen CPU placed on a piece of substrate (an MCM like Wii U), then also have a tablet that does what this rumor suggests, packing something a bit less meaty, downclocked to handle more mobile style games.
In mobile mode the performance could be around 2X the Wii U, but if you have access to an internet connection you can link up with your home console and your internal hardware in the tablet can share processing with the console, thus games run much better, even on the go.

This wouldn't have to be that expensive to make, considering the price of that GPU tech, other parts are pretty cheap too.
Free wifi is available in a lot of places, like coffee shops, libraries, etc and sim card contracts are pretty cheap now, so maybe Nintendo could even work with mobile tariff providers to create a yearly subscription plan like a PS+ or XBL, add in access to rented game service and Nintendo can basically have a modern console level experience available to their customers.

Sure NX could just be what's mentioned in the Eurogamer article, but while that's a cool idea IMO, I don't think Nintendo would intentionally go down an avenue that has caused their console business to diminish to ridiculously low numbers with Wii U.

Intentionally abandoning 3rd party, by not providing them with sufficient hardware to play their games, especially when we have some of those studios saying how good they think NX is, knowing the tech inside I find it hard to believe that NX will be this weak.

I like the rumored idea of a tablet that can allow you to connect up to a TV at home, plus also allow gamers to be able to play local multiplayer on a handheld device anywhere and the potential options for controller input by being able to also use motion gaming are good IMO, I just don't think there's any evidence for Nintendo going with hardware that weak.

Sickening if true. Nintendo had better options and ignored them. Polaris 11 offers 2.5 TFs and retails for $99. They could have made a nice console with this. Instead we're going to get a 2 year old mobile chip. Not too industry leading to me.

Yea but they went different for quite a few generations now. Maybe having one generation of being standard once a while isn't such a bad idea either... Of course, they would have to put a lot of effort into it by perhaps paying the super big ones like Rockstar to port like GTA or something.

If the rumor is true and if they aren't going to make an actual console and get out of the console business, then I would have liked for them to try a standard console one more time. And of course, I don't mean an unified library cause imo, most people would rather get the cheaper handheld than the console.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Gotta say I agree with this. I feel as though there is just no room for a third high powered console in this race. Doing something out of the box seems the best way to so because it helps in making your product stand out more. Also take into account that Nintendo wants to appeal to the mass market with this product this time around. So hopefully it's priced right and the messaging for the console is clear and concise.