By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: NX is different, and different is Nintendo´s best option (bit of a long text)

twintail said:
Different for the sake of being different makes no sense.

Sometimes, people want something different because they don't want the same thing.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Different for the sake of being different makes no sense.

It's not for the sake of being different, it's because it's their only real option. Trying to make (and I stress "trying") yet another third party machine this late in the generation would fail hard.

twintail said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

It's not for the sake of being different, it's because it's their only real option. Trying to make (and I stress "trying") yet another third party machine this late in the generation would fail hard.

I merely disagreeing w/ the article insinuating that Nintendos only value proposition is from being different

Would you have preferred Nintendo just put out a console that is similar to ps4 and xbox 1? I don't think that would have been very attractive to current ps4, xbox 1, and pc users. I know I find that possibility to be boring and I suspect a lot of the reason why the NX has been subject to so much rumor and speculation is because of the fact that Nintendo doesn't care to make just another console. They experiment and I like them for it. Doesn't always pay off but when it does, Sony and Microsoft will probably try to copy it.

I don't even know if its so different as it is doubling down on their strengths. Portables are Nintendo's strength, every single Nintendo portable has outsold it's console counterpart by a minimum of 50 million units every gen since the Super Nintendo/Famicom.

3DS - 65-70 million vs Wii U - 14-15 million

DS - 150 million vs Wii - 100 million

GBA - 80 million vs GameCube - 22 million

MohammadBadir said:
"the last time Nintendo spent any time on the technological cutting edge - the Nintendo 64 era"

Everybody's always forgetting the GameCube ;(

Yes. That was quite the oversight. It was clearly #2 in power that gen.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

One thing to take away from this past week of rumours, Eurogamer sure like their clicks! Ad revenue must be up a massive % for them thanks to this NX rumour mill spinning.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

wombat123 said:
MohammadBadir said:

The scary thing is that all this is right up in Nintendo's alley. They'd do it. They'd release such a device and go all WiiU2.

I'd think that but then I keep on thinking about Nintendo worrying about the competition stealing their revolutionary idea -- then I remember that a lot of this stuff Eurogamer is presenting has already been done before and there's nothing revolutionary about it.  Plus, a lot of these rumors from Eurogamer is old stuff I remember people speculating about months (if not years) ago that seem to be sewn together to create something that they're presenting as factual.

Remember that what you do is just as important as how you do it. That's what Nintendo could be trying to hide.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

twintail said:
KLAMarine said:

Would you have preferred Nintendo just put out a console that is similar to ps4 and xbox 1? I don't think that would have been very attractive to current ps4, xbox 1, and pc users. I know I find that possibility to be boring and I suspect a lot of the reason why the NX has been subject to so much rumor and speculation is because of the fact that Nintendo doesn't care to make just another console. They experiment and I like them for it. Doesn't always pay off but when it does, Sony and Microsoft will probably try to copy it.

This has nothing to do with my preference. It has to do with me disagreeing that the only value Nintendo brings to the industry is be having to be different.

I think more highy of them than that.

Granted, their attempts at different inputs over the last few years has made me less willing to invest in their hardware.

Iam pretty ok playing the games more or less how I have before. Its not like playing football or cricket or any sport become less exciting to play/ watch because I have been doing so for somany years already. Same applies to games.

Do you believe they contribute more to the industry by being more of the same?

Even if there a home dock, games are still going to be handheld games. Scale of them are going to be smaller than true home console counterparts imo

Random_Matt said:
Even if there a home dock, games are still going to be handheld games. Scale of them are going to be smaller than true home console counterparts imo

That's why the console launches with the biggest game in scale that Nintendo has ever done lol