By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: NX is different, and different is Nintendo´s best option (bit of a long text)

MohammadBadir said:
wombat123 said:

Yeah, the only way this even comes close to working is if the SCD is an actual thing.  At least in that scenario the console owners get something good.  Honestly though, I think either this hybrid is one form factor for the NX  or Eurogamer got taken for a ride.

The scary thing is that all this is right up in Nintendo's alley. They'd do it. They'd release such a device and go all WiiU2.

I'd think that but then I keep on thinking about Nintendo worrying about the competition stealing their revolutionary idea -- then I remember that a lot of this stuff Eurogamer is presenting has already been done before and there's nothing revolutionary about it.  Plus, a lot of these rumors from Eurogamer is old stuff I remember people speculating about months (if not years) ago that seem to be sewn together to create something that they're presenting as factual.

Around the Network

Different is good when you have a killer gimmick. If you are different just because you want to be different, it is not good.

It's not like Nintendo will ever capture the market that Sony already owns. They pretty much have no other choice to go a completely different route.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JGarret said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-28-nx-is-different-and-different-is-nintendos-best-option

"...it's NX's appeal to the business itself that really stands out. Imagine the efficiency savings! Imagine what Nintendo's justly famed studios can do when they only have one console to support!..."

The biggest issue currently with Nintendo is being spread thin between two platforms, three if Kimishima's words are to be believed so once there's only one platform for Nintendo to develop for, droughts should be a thing of the past. Also, swaying devs to develop for their platform should get easier.

Magnus said:
Different is good when you have a killer gimmick. If you are different just because you want to be different, it is not good.

So in other words, different is good except when it isn't good?

Around the Network
vivster said:
It's not like Nintendo will ever capture the market that Sony already owns. They pretty much have no other choice to go a completely different route.

Maybe if Sony screws up again.

KLAMarine said:
vivster said:

How?

The only one time Sony screwed up they ended up slightly behind in hardware, massively in front with software and still had hardcores on lock while Nintendo had none. Unless "screwing up" means closing down Sony altogether and ending Playstation I don't see how Nintendo could ever capture that market.

Isn't it sad when your own success is so heavily reliant on other companies screwing up?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
KLAMarine said:

How?

The only one time Sony screwed up they ended up slightly behind in hardware, massively in front with software and still had hardcores on lock while Nintendo had none. Unless "screwing up" means closing down Sony altogether and ending Playstation I don't see how Nintendo could ever capture that market.

How? I don't know. These things can be hard to foresee at times: back in the PS2 days, people might have felt there was no way Sony could lose and then PS3 was released and it cost Sony billions of dollars.

vivster said:

Isn't it sad when your own success is so heavily reliant on other companies screwing up?

Not sad at all. PS4's success is in part because Microsoft and Nintendo have screwed up.

JustBeingReal said:

TBH NX could have a base dock, with that GPU inside and a smaller AMD APU in the tablet

Hell they could just stick with cheaper 28nm tech for the console part and then use 14nm for the handheld to house more power efficient tech for on the go.

The concept of separate GPUs or even CPUs, each for different mode: mobile/console, seems insanely wasteful.
It means a large chunk of hardware budget is power that is not being used in any given mode.
Theoretically one could access both, but I'd guess performance will be worse vs. unified solution, and development will be much more difficult.
The obvious solution is simply to have unified, advanced GPU/CPU which can down-clock and de-activate cores that aren't needed,
e.g. in mobile mode which will target a lower resolution frame buffer, while console mode will output 1080p with fully activated GPU/CPU.
That just results in two quality settings to tweak, but using same architecture, vs. effectively distinct architectures rather hard to develop for.

When I read the EG story, I read them speculating that Nintendo will use Tegra 2, and have a product quite distinct from Tegra 1/ Shield.
Not sure why that possibility is discounted completely in this discussion.   

mutantsushi said:
JustBeingReal said:

TBH NX could have a base dock, with that GPU inside and a smaller AMD APU in the tablet

Hell they could just stick with cheaper 28nm tech for the console part and then use 14nm for the handheld to house more power efficient tech for on the go.

The concept of having separate GPUs or even CPUs, each to be used in different mode: mobile/console, is insanely wasteful.
It means a large chunk of hardware budget is power that is not being used in any given mode.
Theoretically one could access both, but there will be performance penalties vs. unified solution, and development will be much more difficult.
The obvious solution is simply to have unified, advanced GPU/CPU which can down-clock and de-activate cores that aren't needed,
e.g. in mobile mode which will target a lower resolution frame buffer, while console mode will output 1080p with fully activated GPU/CPU.
That just results in two quality settings to tweak, but using same architecture, vs. totally distinct architectures rather hard to develop for.
(either totally distinct GPU/CPUs, or heterogenous architecture combining 2 CPUs and 2 GPUs)

When I read the EG story, I read them speculating that Nintendo will use Tegra 2, and have a product quite distinct from Tegra 1/ Shield.
Not sure why that possibility is discounted completely in this discussion.

It's no more wasteful than having a console sitting at home that you can't play when you're out of the house, actually being able to use your console's tech when you're out of the house is actually reducing the waste of having said console, because you can play games on it now, anywhere you have access to an internet connection.

The hardware would always be accessible provided you have an internet connection and the game you're playing requires it, not all games do, but why limit your platform's capabilities when the tech to include it is actually really cheap now?

The tech to match a modern console, but in a handheld/tablet form factor doesn't exist yet, but the tech to offload non-latency sensitive tasks to an external processing unit does, it's called the internet.

BTW if you're deactivating parts of the CPU and GPU in the tablet because you can't power it for long on the move then you're wasting it more than if you were offloading tasks to a console unit at home through the internet. Same deal for reducing clockspeeds, you're wasting potential compute time, may as well just put the processing performance offsite, where it's available when needed to share workloads with the tablet device.