By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: NX is different, and different is Nintendo´s best option (bit of a long text)

thismeintiel said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

You avoided his question and I think we both know why.

What I do not understand is why so many people are treating this console like it is a home console. It is not. It is a hand held. And because of that, this technology is actually cutting edge if true. Also, it is important to note that Nintendo have 0 issues getting great third party support for their hand held conoles and Pokemon mainline titles come to their hand helds. Eurogamer missed the mark on that front. What we are getting, if played properly, are series like Bravery and Monster Hunter back on televisions because those are primarily hand held series. This could be a really good idea. It is also NOT A HOME CONSOLE.

With that said, Nintendo will be backing themselves into a corner for their next home console. They now MUST make a console that is on par with or above the standards of the time because if they do not, there will be absolutely no reason to buy their next home console. If this rumor is true... I am not saying this is true. But if it is, some of you are having a very hard time coping with the fact that Nintendo's next console is NOT a home console.

I think you are missing the point.  If the rumors are true, Nintendo is seemingly done with home consoles.  They are basically making a handheld that can double as a home console thanks to the dock that comes with it.  Which is fine, since without the casuals that flocked to the Wii for the first few years, they just can't compete against Sony and MS.  The problem, though, is the handheld market is a dying one.  And this is obviously not going to appeal to core gamers shopping for a home console, many of who will just get the much more powerful PS4, or maybe wait for word on the extremely more powerful Neo.  Really, if this is not successful for them, I would imagine they will go all mobile.

I do not think you get it. And I am not going to explain it again. They are not making a hand held that can double as a home console. They are making a hand held that can be displayed on a television. It is not the same thing. You are saying it is something it is not. It is a continuation of their hand held line, hence cartridges as opposed to all digital or disk based media.

You are assuming who they can or cannot compete with. I say they refuse to, you say they cannot. I always say, do not confuse one who does not for one that cannot because they are not the same thing. But in this case, it does not matter since this is clearly a hand held.

This console could work as a hand held because it will get 3DS type hand held support instead of Wii U like console support. And then the fact that you get HD Pokemon and Bravery and Monster Hunter and the like helps the hand held transcend traditional stereotypes and potential pot holes like the dying market you claim it to be in.

I already said I believe Nintendo will make another home console. I just believe when they do, unless they make it a true powerhouse, it will fail. And if that happens, they will not make another home console. But I will not believe for one second that they are finished making dedicated home consoles.

I said this console was a hand held and despite what people said about that prediction, I have stood by that. And in this case, we will have to wait for history to play out and revisit it. I do not post often so this thread will stay in my list for years and I can find you and we can see who was right and who was wrong.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

Is anyone else thinking 5.5" screen.

Einsam_Delphin said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I see where the disconnect it. I consider portable console to mean, "hand held" as it has traditionally. I still see it as a hand held because of what is rumored about it. It uses cartridges and has a docking station but not a home console station. The hardware seems next gen for a portable/hand held and it uses cartridges like all Nintendo portables/hand helds. I do not know if you are correct or not so I will drop that until I find out more. I am looking at it as a hand held that can be attached to the television (ala a more literal Super Game Boy) and you are thinking of it as a console on the go. Interesting how that worked out. It looks like the successor to the 3DS, not the Wii U. I could be wrong and it has me scratching my head because I undestand it differently than you do. But I still think I am more correct.

Again, it being a hand held that can be docked to a television is important because of the game franchises and third party support that may appear. Third party developers will develop for a new Nintendo hand held with those specs. They will reject a home console with those specs, however. And that is the point of the console.

I did not say anywhere that there is no point in Nintendo making a new home console. I specifically said Nintendo has backed themselves into a corner because if their next home console is not a beast of a machine, nobody will want to buy it when they have this hand held which can do almost the same thing from a power perspective. Their next console must be the strongest released in that moment in order to seperate itself even further from this hand held which you keep thinking is a home console. And we all want that from Nintendo anyway; a home console that rocks in terms of power.

And this is also important because if Nintendo makes a home console that does exactly that, maybe they will get third party support on home consoles again. This is a twisted corner they are painted into, but hopefully they make the correct decisions going forward. If this is true.

You're only looking at names (though conveniently ignoring the term hybrid), I'm looking at actual usage and functionality as that's what defines pretty much everything. Also being playable on the go and on your TV is definitely not traditional of handhelds, and consoles can and have used cartridges. Yes handhelds are generally weaker than consoles, and that plus Nintendo's main market being handheld is why yes it's definitely a handheld that can be played on the TV rather than a console that can be played on the go, but it can still very much be considered a home console as explained already. It's not purely a handheld, it's not purely a console, it's both, a hybrid.

Unless you really believe Nintendo is going to develop for two different HD systems, then an additional console could only be as powerful as the hybrid since they have to share the same library, so still no reason to have a pure console. They'll only get Japanese 3rd party support eitherway. Also, it seems like you believe Nintendo absolutely needs 3rd partys to be successful, but they really don't and Nintendo is finally acknowledging this, I mean that's kinda the whole point of the hybrid, to unify their software output so they can be more reliant on themselves and less on 3rd partys. To make a separate powerful console alongside would only defeat this purpose.

My bad I misinterpreted, but a powerful console alongside the hybrid will fail, simply put because it's pointless and will forever be unneeded no matter how much power you give it. It wont have full Nintendo support with the hybrid having the majority, it'll either be really expensive or weaker than the competition, perhaps both, and even if it gets western third party support (it wont), most people will already have a third party system at this point in the gen, so the only reason to get this system would still be for the Nintendo games, but the hybrid does that better and with exclusive third party games, so there's no reason to buy the console over the hybrid. And again, I don't think the NX is a home console, it just fills the roles of one, being a hybrid and all.

I'm confident they wont, Nintendo knows it's gonna take a ton more than just a powerful console to win full 3rd party support back, especially a whopping 4 years late into a generation, so they'll just not bother with pure consoles anymore and put more emphasis on what they're best at.

I did look at more than names. I just see the term, "hybrid" as the hot word for the moment. But a hybrid to me is both and this is really a hand held that can be put in a shell and played on a television. I hardly call that a hybrid. It is like a more advanced version of the Neo Geo X or the Super Game Boy. However, the fact that it uses cartridges and not digital media or disk based media definitely sounds like an evolution of their hand held line and not their home console line.

I do not believe Nintendo needs third party developers to survive. I simply stated the difference between a hand held and its support vs a home console and its support. If this were a home console, it would not get the same type or amount of support that the hand held will get. I am excited at the idea that they make Pokemon and Monster Hunter and other games that will be made on their next hand held and I can play them on a television as well. It sounds better than them making a new home console that has the same amount of support as Wii U has. It would fail. This probably will not.

I understand you think that would fail. And I see that because you have little vision for the future. You seem to forget that things like 3D and 4K and VR are all possibilities that this, "hybrid" are incapable of. There are other directions Nintendo can go, and still be relevent in the home console industry. You are not allowing yourself to look at this from a Nintendo mindset. If Nintendo is known for taking a different path, who is to say their next home console is not completely different from what we are currently seeing? It very well could be. However, no matter where it goes, it will need serious power to get there effectively.

Your last paragraph I pretty much agree with except I believe they will make at least one more home console.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000