By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - "Make America great again"... But when was America great?

America

Is greater than ever 42 18.92%

Was greater before 80 36.04%

Was never great 59 26.58%

"A horse with no na... 41 18.47%

Total:222
OdinHades said:
Depends what you mean by great. From 1950 to 2000 or something like that, the USA was the undisputed superpower in the world, No. 1 by any standards. Today, they continue to lose that status. All over the world other countries begin to challenge the former superpower. Russia is again striving for power, germany is generating loads of cash while the US is drowning in trillions of debt, China is producing pretty much any goods in the world, Japan seeks to once again establish a full blown army of their own and so on. Those developments in the world could lead to the US losing their status as a superpower, they could lose the ability to play world police, they already have lost influence in many parts of the world. For some people, those outlooks are very scary. They don't like the feeling that they aren't going to be No. 1 forever. They want to turn the world back to the 20th century.

But whatever, they won't be able to do that anyway. It doesn't matter what you do, the US will never be able to compensate all the successes of all other nations in the world. They would have to strike the competition down by force. But if they start a war, the world as we know it will be pretty much done for and we would be lucky if there was still a living being on the planet at all. So that is also not an option to turn back the hands of time.

Sorry folks, the 20th century is over and earth continues spinning. That's really all there is to say.

I suppose that being #1 went over their head. Becoming greedy to sustain this position at all costs. Starting new wars, screwing with the middle east and making a lot of enemies. Staying for so long on this position makes you also paranoid of your surroundings. Spying on your allies and such. I don't know where it goes from here on, but how can you beome great again by building walls around you? Wanna be the next North Korea? East Berlin? China?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

Back when Bill Clinton was president... I thought so.

outlawauron said:
Teeqoz said:

Wasn't it pretty great during/after WW2? America does well during cataclysmic wars that fuck it up for the rest of the world.

EDIT: Haha, just saw the vid, and now I got the point

Indeed. The decade after WW2, the US was at its strongest.

That's probably the biggest differences between Democrats and Republicans. When they thinks about a country being great, they don't think about social issues that affected the time (which is the "joke" of the whole video), but the leadership, military, and economy.

Totally agree.

There is so much jelly in this thread... so... much... jelly...

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
There is so much jelly in this thread... so... much... jelly...

There used to be a time, when I could say and mean it "i really wanna live there (the usa)".

Today I dont think so anymore, Im happy where I am.

I honestly think the america I knew back in the early 90's was better off than it is today, back when Bill clinton was president.

I'd say in 1998. No war and the country was making money. Clinton was a good President.

Hmm, pie.

Teeqoz said:

Wasn't it pretty great during/after WW2? America does well during cataclysmic wars that fuck it up for the rest of the world.

yea, so we all know what's needed to "make America great again"

For me as an Australian, the pinnacle of the USA would have been when they put man on the moon. So 1969.

The ENTIRE world literally looked towards the USA in awe and amazement. - Since then, they have really never recaptured that.

No longer as a nation do you set the example for all other nations of the Earth to aspire towards, that was something that faded away long ago.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Lafiel said:
Teeqoz said:

yea, so we all know what's needed to "make America great again"

Hey, they didn't ask "when was the world great". Only America