By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz's Top Five Hack and Slash Games - Results are in! Detailed results inside

bouzane said:
John2290 said:
Also, of any GOW game, you lot choose 2? Damn that makes no sense.

You mean by far the best game in the series? Seriously, like 40% of the boss battles in the God of War series were in part 2 (along with the best puzzles and platforming sequences).

Not that people chose God of War 2 but you are wrong, God of War 2 has 14 boss battles in a series with 40 boss battles. I think the puzzles were far better in 3, and while its a close second best game in the series God of War 3 is better and Ghost of Sparta comes close.

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
bouzane said:

You mean by far the best game in the series? Seriously, like 40% of the boss battles in the God of War series were in part 2 (along with the best puzzles and platforming sequences).

Not that people chose God of War 2 but you are wrong, God of War 2 has 14 boss battles in a series with 40 boss battles. I think the puzzles were far better in 3, and while its a close second best game in the series God of War 3 is better and Ghost of Sparta comes close.

35% is still more than its fair share for a series with 6 games. Also, what puzzles in God of War III? I don't recall anything beyond the single perspective puzzle in Hera's Garden (which I must admit was awesome). I was honestly a bit disappointed by God of War III because of the lack of weapon variety, platforming, puzzles, boss battles and relatively short length. To each their own I suppose.

bouzane said:
GOWTLOZ said:

35% is still more than its fair share for a series with 6 games. Also, what puzzles in God of War III? I don't recall anything beyond the single perspective puzzle in Hera's Garden (which I must admit was awesome). I was honestly a bit disappointed by God of War III because of the lack of weapon variety, platforming, puzzles, boss battles and relatively short length. To each their own I suppose.

Did we play the same game? God of War 3 had the best secondary weapons in the series, the best boss battles in the series, best puzzles and was as long as the original, though God of War 2 remains the best in terms of platforming, length and story.

The series has very variable number of boss fights, the original and Chains of Olympus only have three while God of War 2 and 3 have fourteen and nine boss battles. That makes the 35% statistic pretty useless, and some of the boss battles in 2 like the one with the Cerberus isn't really a boss battle.

I also remember Daedalus room, the place where you have to burn down Perithious, the Labyrinth and some others that I liked more than any God of War 2 puzzles.

GOWTLOZ said:
bouzane said:

Did we play the same game? God of War 3 had the best secondary weapons in the series, the best boss battles in the series, best puzzles and was as long as the original, though God of War 2 remains the best in terms of platforming, length and story.

The series has very variable number of boss fights, the original and Chains of Olympus only have three while God of War 2 and 3 have fourteen and nine boss battles. That makes the 35% statistic pretty useless, and some of the boss battles in 2 like the one with the Cerberus isn't really a boss battle.

I also remember Daedalus room, the place where you have to burn down Perithious, the Labyrinth and some others that I liked more than any God of War 2 puzzles.

How could I forget about those puzzles? I concede that point 100%. I wouldn't really give GoW II the best story, in fact, I thought it was one of the worst in the series (after III and Ascension) but that's not a big deal in a video game. That being said, how did you enjoy having three similar chain weapons and a repackaged Gauntlet of Zeus? Literally every person I have ever discussed GoW III with derided that aspect of the game. I admit that some of the bosses in GoW II were just mini-bosses but I can say the same about GoW III.

bouzane said:
GOWTLOZ said:

How could I forget about those puzzles? I concede that point 100%. I wouldn't really give GoW II the best story, in fact, I thought it was one of the worst in the series (after III and Ascension) but that's not a big deal in a video game. That being said, how did you enjoy having three similar chain weapons and a repackaged Gauntlet of Zeus? Literally every person I have ever discussed GoW III with derided that aspect of the game. I admit that some of the bosses in GoW II were just mini-bosses but I can say the same about GoW III.

That's one reason I put Devil May Cry ahead of God of War for hack and slash. I've always felt like none of the games in GoW gave you any reason to use anything other than the Blades of Chaos apart from some very specific situations.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
bouzane said:
GOWTLOZ said:

The secondary wepons were similar but different in major aspects. They were chained blades but they had different combos and different magic abilities and I thought Claws of Hades is the best wepon in the series, I liked it more than the Blades. I really enjoyed using Gauntlet of Zeus so having a similar weapon in God of War 3 was a welcome return for me. God of war 2 does have some good ones though but I prefer the ones in 3.

TruckOSaurus said:
bouzane said:

That's one reason I put Devil May Cry ahead of God of War for hack and slash. I've always felt like none of the games in GoW gave you any reason to use anything other than the Blades of Chaos apart from some very specific situations.

Its all about preferences, God of War gives you an option. I liked Claws of Hades more than the Blades and thought Gauntlet of Zeus and Cestus were really fun to use as well. I do like the endless combos you can pull off in the Devil May Cry games but that is one of the few strengths of these games, while God of War games have many more strengths than just the combat which is pretty good.

TruckOSaurus said:

I agree that the Blades of Chaos are too well rounded but I must say that I preferred the Gauntlet, Cestus, War Hammer and Arms of Sparta. Honestly, the Blades of Chaos were only my favorite weapon in the original.

@GOWTLOZ

The Claws of Hades were pretty awesome and I suppose that reusing the Gauntlet wasn't such a bad thing (I guess every game in the series technically reuses the Blades of Chaos in some form or another). I still prefer GoW II though, III felt like a step back to me. The War Hammer just added a whole new layer to the gameplay having to rapidly switch to the Blades to be able to dodge and then back in order to pull off a devestating Hammer combo during the small windows of opportunity that presented themselves. Having to truly master this technique in order to exploit the full potential of the Hammer was something that I didn't encounter in any of the other God of War games.

bouzane said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I agree that the Blades of Chaos are too well rounded but I must say that I preferred the Gauntlet, Cestus, War Hammer and Arms of Sparta. Honestly, the Blades of Chaos were only my favorite weapon in the original.

@GOWTLOZ

The Claws of Hades were pretty awesome and I suppose that reusing the Gauntlet wasn't such a bad thing (I guess every game in the series technically reuses the Blades of Chaos in some form or another). I still prefer GoW II though, III felt like a step back to me. The War Hammer just added a whole new layer to the gameplay having to rapidly switch to the Blades to be able to dodge and then back in order to pull off a devestating Hammer combo during the small windows of opportunity that presented themselves. Having to truly master this technique in order to exploit the full potential of the Hammer was something that I didn't encounter in any of the other God of War games.

I didn't know about this technique, but I liked the hammer and spear in God of War 2. Also how could I forget Arms of Sparta. They were awesome both for close quarter combat and ranged combat.

what a blood bath...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

bouzane said:
John2290 said:
Also, of any GOW game, you lot choose 2? Damn that makes no sense.

Highly disagree. The second half of God of War 2 were riddled with annoying puzzles. God of War 3 had some of the best boss battles in the series and they didnt slow the game down by putting a million puzzles in the end.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3