By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

JWeinCom sai

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad feature. It's just not worth going with a cartridge format, a developer unfriendly architecture, and specs that are still 5 years behind its competitors.

I have to disagree with this. The 3DS uses cartidges and its been a successful for Nintendo. I doubt Nintendo is going to compete with Sony and Microsoft with this one but  will pushh portability of the new console as a huge feature and i doubt Sony is planning on making a new handheld.

OP- I think Nintendo is being really smart here with the NX. They want to support their biggest market which is the handheld market but by also making it playable in the living room for those that want a home console. Their hitting two birds with one stone.

Around the Network
AZWification said:
bananaking21 said:

they have a better chance to compete with them than competing with iOS and andriod

That's not saying much though. Those who play games like CoD and Witcher would never touch a Nintendo console, so there would be no point in Nintendo trying to compete with Sony and MS.

I play The Witcher, and have a Wii U. Had a Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, and many Nintendo handheld consoles. Care to share more baseless generalisations like that?

I still wish that Nintendo would join the arms race, and give it's fans a system that follows the tech curve set by it's contemporaries, but everything else about this sounds very cool. 32gb game carts are a little bit small, but it's NOT that far off of the size of most games. Now, what about it's online plans? This is something that doesn't come up very often when discussing Nintendo, and I think it's a fair criticism to say that they still lag behind MS ans Sony in this realm. Overall, I like what I see here a lot. Assuming of course, that this isn't all flotsam.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

The only thid party games i see the NX getting is the yearly COD ans sports games but i doubt it will get games like GTA, Mass Effect that come around every few years. Hopefully its $250-300.

Not sure about it at all. Still seems problematic for the third party games (size and power), possibly pricey, and maybe complicated for the casual gamers. Nintendo never succeeded in the marketing part of the Wii U, I'm not sure they could explain this concept clearly and convince the families like they did with the Wii. With the Neo and the Scorpio on one side and the mobile on the other, their move is risky...

Around the Network

Hope it runs android and has google play installed, don't see this being a massive seller otherwise. When was the last time you saw a kid with a 3DS, i only see phones and tablets.

Hynad said:
AZWification said:

That's not saying much though. Those who play games like CoD and Witcher would never touch a Nintendo console, so there would be no point in Nintendo trying to compete with Sony and MS.

I play The Witcher, and have a Wii U. Had a Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, and many Nintendo handheld consoles. Care to share any more of these groundless generalisations like that?

I'm very, very sorry.  I should have said " Most of those who play games like CoD and Witcher would never touch a  Nintendo console".  Better?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=216644&page=10#10

ABTR is always right about video games just i know everything

Now somenthing tells me Sony makes Playstasion Heroes go!

You go out searching with google maps the playstasion heroes and make them fight with others players

Remeber ABTR knows everything! :)

AZWification said:
Hynad said:

I play The Witcher, and have a Wii U. Had a Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, and many Nintendo handheld consoles. Care to share any more of these groundless generalisations like that?

I'm very, very sorry.  I should have said " Most of those who play games like CoD and Witcher would never touch a  Nintendo console".  Better?

No. On what do you base this ridiculous assumption? Anecdotal observations? 

I'm out if true.