By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

CGI-Quality said:
AZWification said:

Specially if it's going to use the Tegra X2 chip. A system that has Dragon Quest XI, Splatoon 2, Monster Hunter 5, FFVII Remake and Pokemon NX is going to sell very, very well in Japan.

When was FFVII Remake confirmed for this system?

I was just listing some games that could possibly come out for the NX and make it successful in Japan. Only DQXI got confirmed from that list so far.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Here's where I don't agree with the rumor. NX is supposed to be a NEW idea that they're keeping secret from competitors when...um...this is essentially what PSVita+VitaTV is. This isn't new technology. I'm not falling for this one. It sounds great but does it sound new, or would they have a reason to hide 4 year old technology? I doubt it.

That was just PR talk.

JWeinCom said:
jason1637 said:

I have to disagree with this. The 3DS uses cartidges and its been a successful for Nintendo. I doubt Nintendo is going to compete with Sony and Microsoft with this one but  will pushh portability of the new console as a huge feature and i doubt Sony is planning on making a new handheld.

OP- I think Nintendo is being really smart here with the NX. They want to support their biggest market which is the handheld market but by also making it playable in the living room for those that want a home console. Their hitting two birds with one stone.

The 3DS wasn't functioning as a home console.  Nintendo could push portability all they want, but it's not a feature "core" gamers are interested in.  The reason Sony is not planning on making another console is because they tried something similar with the Vita, and it failed.  People who want a home console will just buy one of the others that are available, and superior.

Why on Earth would you want to hit two birds with one stone?  When has there been an abundance of birds and a shortage of stones?  If you try to kill two birds with one stone, what most likely will happen is that you'll wind up missing both birds.  More likely, you'll hit one, and the other will fly away.

Nintendo isnt going for the core crowd. Core Nintendo fans will buy the console regardless if it has good Nintendo games. It seems their trying to get the casual market that went over to tablets. If Nintendo can get this console at a $250 price point it would be cheap enough for a mom dad to see that it has kid friendly games and it coulod be played in road trips while they can watch their netflix on TV.

CGI-Quality said:
AZWification said:

Specially if it's going to use the Tegra X2 chip. A system that has Dragon Quest XI, Splatoon 2, Monster Hunter 5, FFVII Remake and Pokemon NX is going to sell very, very well in Japan.

When was FFVII Remake confirmed for this system?

When was anything about the NX confirmed? Chill. We are all speculating here.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

SpokenTruth said:
Portable means it will be small.

That means 2 book-ended controllers will be small.

That means not fun to use when playing on the big screen.

To be full sized controllers means the portability factor is poor.

Overall....something has to give or this to work. Functioning controllers or portability.

Didn't you say you had the controller, Mr. "Game Developer?"

spemanig said:
I believe this. I'm trying to withhold judgement on the massively damning implications that going back to carts will have for 3rd parties, especially when they were actually considering digital only. Guess they got cold feet.

So... You were right but nintendo changed its mind? Is just like that NX 2016 release prediction made by 2/3s of the site. Ninty is making everyone look bad.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
JWeinCom said:

Even if Sony and Microsoft saw this and thought it looked amazing, how could they even try to copy it?

I mean, like I said, this sounds like PSVita TV. A powerful handheld with the ability to play on the TV. What's so new about that?

I guess it's cool that Nintendo probably won't have to make 2 Mario Kart games, 2 3D Mario games, etc.. and instead potentially focus on making more new IPs and revivng some older ones. I agree that it's nothing too groundbreaking.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

FunFan said:

So... You were right but nintendo changed its mind? Is just like that NX 2016 release prediction made by 2/3s of the site. Ninty is making everyone look bad.

Yeah, but I don't mind looking bad.

spemanig said:
I believe this. I'm trying to withhold judgement on the massively damning implications that going back to carts will have for 3rd parties, especially when they were actually considering digital only. Guess they got cold feet.

What difference does it make if digital is still there.  Digital only has NO advantages over the current digital+physical model for the consumer and technically none for devs.  It is purely and only a net negative, a LOSS of an option.  And besides, every digital-only venture in the console space has crashed and burned.  Now you can correctly point out other factors, but investors and planners are going to tend to avoid apparent patterns of failure if they can.

Nuvendil said:
DanneSandin said:

@Bolded: Is that really true, though? There really isn't all that much difference between Mario Kart 7 from Mario Kart Wii (I haven't tried 8, that's why I don't mention it), or from NSMB and NSMBWii, or Mario 3D Land and 3D World. I don't really buy that they're designing games from the ground up for their respective platforms all the time. Some times they take a formula from one platform and transfers it to the other platform. Besides, Nintendo could still make games that's better on the go and better for hours on the couch.

I will give you Kart and Smash and throw in Kirby.  2D Mario's key difference is in dficulty and level lenght.  3D Land and World do show different level design approaches to facilitate the smaller screen and shorter sessions (and, again, is a bit easier).  And when compared the the larger 3D Mario home console catalogue, 3D Land is very much designed with handhelds in mind.  Nintendo has demonstrated a willingness to TRY bridging that game but let's be honest, the only high-profile success have been Zelda OoT and MM (which more has to do with brand and the restrictions of the N64 keeping it comlact).  Xenoblade grossly underperformed.  The boundaries are more hazy now, but it's not hard to spot the key, important differences.

Well, let's just agree that the bounderies are hazy nowadays, and it'll probably only get more so with this new generation =)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Flouff said:
I don't see an eventual lack of power or backward compatibility be an issue.
However, my first impression is that people will see the handheld part as a restriction. For example, i don't really like to play handheld (even if i have a vita and 3ds) and the simple fact that this sytem has a strong handheld option sounds like the product is mainly a handheld one.
I don't know if i'm clear however ...

Its bascially a handheld... that you can hook up to your tv.

Dont wanna use it as a console? pull out the powercord and the controller wires, and pick it up and run off with it, to use on the go.

Thats its selling point, it funktions as a handheld.