By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

DanneSandin said:
Nuvendil said:
This would be a heck of a lot more plausible if not for Pokemon Sun and Moon. That's the big holiday earner for Nintendo and I absolutelu do not see them destroying the hype by announcing that the 3DS successor is coming out mere months after Sun and Moon. Not that it wouls make Pokemon fail but certainly underperform. Also, this implies the whole "full scale experiences on the go" shtick which I find highly unlikely given A) their cheif competitor did that and failed miserably and 2) Nintendo has in the past and continues today to emphasize that handheld and console experiences are and should be different, designed from the ground up for their respective platforms. Disagree with the idea if you want but Nintendo has stuck to that pretty firmly.

Also, Nintendo's limited words have been alludijg to a home console focused device, not a handheld. Also, this is like the tenth or so "highly reliable rumor" we've seen? Most of them conflicting each other?

In short, nothing to see here. Just another NX rumor, move along.

@Bolded: Is that really true, though? There really isn't all that much difference between Mario Kart 7 from Mario Kart Wii (I haven't tried 8, that's why I don't mention it), or from NSMB and NSMBWii, or Mario 3D Land and 3D World. I don't really buy that they're designing games from the ground up for their respective platforms all the time. Some times they take a formula from one platform and transfers it to the other platform. Besides, Nintendo could still make games that's better on the go and better for hours on the couch.

I will give you Kart and Smash and throw in Kirby.  2D Mario's key difference is in dficulty and level lenght.  3D Land and World do show different level design approaches to facilitate the smaller screen and shorter sessions (and, again, is a bit easier).  And when compared the the larger 3D Mario home console catalogue, 3D Land is very much designed with handhelds in mind.  Nintendo has demonstrated a willingness to TRY bridging that game but let's be honest, the only high-profile success have been Zelda OoT and MM (which more has to do with brand and the restrictions of the N64 keeping it comlact).  Xenoblade grossly underperformed.  The boundaries are more hazy now, but it's not hard to spot the key, important differences.

Around the Network
Culipechi said:
If this is true it will sell a bazillion units in Japan.

Specially if it's going to use the Tegra X2 chip. A system that has Dragon Quest XI, Splatoon 2, Monster Hunter 5, FFVII Remake and Pokemon NX is going to sell very, very well in Japan.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I don't see an eventual lack of power or backward compatibility be an issue.
However, my first impression is that people will see the handheld part as a restriction. For example, i don't really like to play handheld (even if i have a vita and 3ds) and the simple fact that this sytem has a strong handheld option sounds like the product is mainly a handheld one.
I don't know if i'm clear however ...

Ljink96 said:
Here's where I don't agree with the rumor. NX is supposed to be a NEW idea that they're keeping secret from competitors when...um...this is essentially what PSVita+VitaTV is. This isn't new technology. I'm not falling for this one. It sounds great but does it sound new, or would they have a reason to hide 4 year old technology? I doubt it.

Even if Sony and Microsoft saw this and thought it looked amazing, how could they even try to copy it?

RolStoppable said:

While I agree that this is an NX rumor like many before it, I do not quite agree with your reasoning to doubt it.

1. Pokémon Sun and Moon are going to sell well regardless of a successor for the 3DS being announced.

2. Nintendo does not consider home consoles and handhelds entirely different things anymore, but have openly talked about developing games that can be played on both kinds of devices instead of having to develop two separate games in order to properly support both systems. Their R&D departments were restructured accordingly. The catch is that many people took this as a sign for a hybrid console (which is what the rumor here is about) while ignoring that Nintendo explicitly said that the number of form factors for their hardware might possibly increase due to the new strategy. That's the opposite direction of a hybrid.

This had me wondering... What if there will be three different iterations: first and foremost, the handheld console by itself, plain and simple. The second iteration could be with this docking station that boosts your graphical output for the TV. Thirdly, the upcoming home console, which will be just that; quite an ordinary home console. The fourth iteration would be if you connected all of these devices; connecting the portable to the docking station, connecting that to the home console to boost the power even more. That way you have three different devices that boosts each others. It's all speculation though.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

People seem to think the docking station has it's own hardware are dreamers, probably hitting $600+ for everything.

JWeinCom said:
Ljink96 said:
Here's where I don't agree with the rumor. NX is supposed to be a NEW idea that they're keeping secret from competitors when...um...this is essentially what PSVita+VitaTV is. This isn't new technology. I'm not falling for this one. It sounds great but does it sound new, or would they have a reason to hide 4 year old technology? I doubt it.

Even if Sony and Microsoft saw this and thought it looked amazing, how could they even try to copy it?

I mean, like I said, this sounds like PSVita TV. A powerful handheld with the ability to play on the TV. What's so new about that?

https://youtu.be/yXn8VuC7QIU

For those that don't see how the controller could work, this is a thought.

Hopefully Nintendo officially reveals the NX soon, to once and for all clarify things for everyone!

Also if this is a handheld first, console second machine, whyin the WORLD have Zelda Breath of the Wild - the most console-centric game Nintendo has made in ages - be the flagship launch as opposed to Pokemon or Mario or one of their other more in-between games like Kart? Why on earth use BotW, which people will just plain NOT want to play on the go?

I believe this. I'm trying to withhold judgement on the massively damning implications that going back to carts will have for 3rd parties, especially when they were actually considering digital only. Guess they got cold feet.