By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Ash finally win a Pokemon League? *UPDATED OP: Finals over, the conclusion is...!!!

Do you think this was a good outcome?

Yes 13 14.44%

No 77 85.56%

Total:90

GG NO RE

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

To take away the positives, this is the best league run Ash has had, by far. I remember people on the Bulbagarden forum debating if Ash would even reach the semis, especially after the atrocious outcome in the Vertress Conference (and BW, in general). Not to mention, Ash managed to get into the finals and almost beat Alain with just his Kalos team. In Sinnoh, he used his Pokemon from previous regions.

That isn't to say I agree with the outcome. I thought the way Ash lost was BS, especially after he inflicted quite a bit of damage to Charizard. But hey, one step backwards (BW arc), two steps forward (XY & XYZ arcs)

Damn, should have bet a few people on the forums for sig control or something.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Nuvendil said:
At least this season showed growth in Ash. This is the first time - discounting Sinnoh, which was an anomaly - that Ash has made real progress. It will be interesting to see if they maintain that momentum and he wins the next league, as would make sense, or they hit the reset button and we spend 3 seasons with him winning silver for no apparent reason.

Also, such bs that a mega Charizard beat him. It's such transparent fan pandering as if they wanted him to lose they could have had it be a mega Venusaur that Ash has to fight with Greninja. Instead they expect us to turn off our brain and go "wooh! Charizard soo cewl!"

Wait why are you discounting Sinnoh? How was that an anomaly? 

Acevil said:

Did I say think I meant hope. 

Ah well I wouldn't get your hopes up especially after today.

KLAMarine said:

Does he at least win the girl? That's more important.

After today? No chance in hell! They clearly don't give a shit about changing up the status quo or giving the fans what they want.

Roketan said:
Wait, did people seriously believed that Ash would win?

LOL, i mean none of the characters didn't had any serious development during the past 10 years. The anime is only for keeping the franchise and the games around.

Ash has lost like 6 or 7 leagues and instead of taking some time alone and think ''what the hell am i doing with my life'' he just smiles like nothing happened. It would be okay if it was only for one time but the lesson here should be ''ash lost a number of times but at long last, after many hardships, he became a champion''. But noooooo, stupid writers don't care about that.

Uh yeah, where have you been?

Compare the Ash from the Kanto series to the current Kalos Ash. There's clearly been development as he's actually mature strong and strategic now, exactly how he should be with all the experience he has now.

lol nope.

no character development at all. he is still the usual loser and writers don't care about any of the characters. I mean they turned him into a kid again and made him shorter.

This may be the worst anime in the history of mankind at this point in terms of development and writing.

Kai_Mao said:

I did kinda expect the other ending of Ash losing. I too thought he had a great chance, hell, this was his best shot. Sure I was disappointed, but I'm not gonna feel like this is the end of the world nor change my perception of the XY/Z series just because of this one episode. Ash fought hard along with Alain and tbh, I don't mind Ash losing to Alain because he was a developed character and he wasn't cheap like Tobias nor incompetent like Cameron. Sure some would point out some of the illogical stuff that happened throughout the battles, but when has that never come in affect in the anime? Pikachu once defeated Geodude with one Thundershock (albeit on steroids sorta). In the end, I'm grateful for watching this series and I look forward to the Team Flare arc.

The biggest bullshit of the battle was just how much they hyped up that super mega Water Shuriken, but then all it does is make Charizard flinch. Like, what the actual fuck!? Even Aerial Ace and Cut had a much better effect, and they just showed the regular Water Shuriken (not even the double team powered one) countering Blast Burn. Just pure and utter nonsense.

vkaraujo said:

To be quite fair, Greeninja is not a water powerhouse. Ash's never used hydro pump (that i know of) and, without priority, water shuriken is not that good.
The real issue was putting Pikachu's thunderbolt on top of that. Heck, that attack alone should have been enough to cut 50% of Charizard health. The worst is that, due to the cut from one episode to the other, it looked like he might have been thunderbolted twice... That's BS

Goodra was also heavily missplayed by the writers, but considering the way ash beated Aegislash in the prior battle, it was at least acceptable for him to missplay one pokemon.

Well, all things considered, Alan is much more battle hungry than Ash. It should be expected for his pokemons to be at a higher level, but still, really bad end.

Game logic doesn't 100% translate into anime logic, so you just have to take what happens in the anime as the rules for it. Greninja's Water Shuriken (which gets powered up in Ash-Greninja mode) has been shown to be OP many times, like in this very battle where base Water Shuriken neutralized Blast Burn.

Is he really more battle hungry though? Another thing that really makes this situation shitty is the fact that Ash doomed himself before the league even began by becoming friends with Alain. Ash wanting to battle him and telling him about the league is the only reason he even went, heck he doesn't even care about becoming champion or anything, he's just using it as an excuse to battle Ash. Just thinking about this is so fustrating.

Roketan said:

lol nope.

no character development at all. he is still the usual loser and writers don't care about any of the characters. I mean they turned him into a kid again and made him shorter.

This may be the worst anime in the history of mankind at this point in terms of development and writing.

You can't lol nope blatant facts. Don't see why one would even be in denial over this, a show can still be bad even if there is character development.

Around the Network

Ok so now that I've recovered from both my initial depression AND my utter rage and mental breakdown of his defeat, I'll stick around and see where the Team Flare arc goes and how the anime raps up as we head into Sun/Moon. Though I go in now, with my hopes and dreams of Ash being retired as the main protagonist due to finally achieving his dream of becoming a Pokemon Master and settling down with Serena, with a new protagonist taking over for Sun/Moon anime on life support.

Oh well, XY was a good series, let's not fret over things we pretty much knew was coming.

Roketan said:
Wait, did people seriously believed that Ash would win?

LOL, i mean none of the characters didn't had any serious development during the past 10 years. The anime is only for keeping the franchise and the games around.

Ash has lost like 6 or 7 leagues and instead of taking some time alone and think ''what the hell am i doing with my life'' he just smiles like nothing happened. It would be okay if it was only for one time but the lesson here should be ''ash lost a number of times but at long last, after many hardships, he became a champion''. But noooooo, stupid writers don't care about that.

Pretty much. I watched it a lot as a kid, but every episode is basically just a copy of the previous one.
It's not a good anime. The games tell a much much better story.

Azuren said:
Keybladewielder said:

I don't mind that he loses tbqh

Except Ash loses all the time. 

I mean if we are being realistic his track record is really good. I mean we are just thinking this cuz he is the main protagonist of the franchise.