By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion? Prediction?: Nintendo are going mobile and/or multi platform.

Nintendo should...

Go multiplatform. All in. 124 29.25%

Just mobile. 32 7.55%

Just ps4. 13 3.07%

Just PC 6 1.42%

Just X1. 9 2.12%

None of the above. Stay exclusive. 226 53.30%

Yes. But hold exclusivity... 7 1.65%

Other in comments 7 1.65%

Total:424
Teeqoz said:
Neodegenerate said:
Sweet Jesus when are these threads going to stop?

So long as Nintendo makes a profit on their hardware they will continue to make it. Enough with the "one successful enterprise should change their entire business approach" bullshit.

That is not how any sound business approaches their decisions. "Oh, we make money doing what we do, so we won't even consider doing something else that could potentially earn us more money".

Saying "As long as Nintendo makes a profit on their hardware there's no reason for them to go third party" is just as silly as saying "Nintendo should gothird party asap because Pokemon GO is such a huge success". Both statements are silly. Nintendo is out to maximize profits. They won't just settle with a sub-par performing home console and handheld division as long as it breaks even. They also won't just ditch their own hardware because they can see huge success in the mobile space.

Enough with the black and white "they won't ditch their hardware as long as it makes a profit" or the "Nintendo should go third party because Pokemon GO" bullshit.

Not once did I say they there is no reason for them to go third party.  What I said was one successful trip into a different realm for profits doesn't mean they are going to, or should, upend their entire business model.

All companies need to change and evolve to stay relevant and maximize their profits.  Those changes don't happen overnight, and contrary to what apparently a ton of VGC people think, they don't have to happen at the expense of the company's current offerings.

The black and white idea of "they won't ditch their hardware as long as it makes a profit" actually isn't bullshit though as they have proven to go that route for the last 30 years now.  Will they eventually stop with hardware?  Absolutely.  Is it going to be because Pokemon Go, a game they are actually a MINORITY stockholder in, is doing gangbusters on the app stores atm?  Not at all.  

When the positives for them going third party, or changing their plan as they did from cards to games, outweigh the negatives we will see them evolve.  Until then, people will have to rely on what is most likely going to be dedicated hardware and unique-to-mobile IP experiences out of Nintendo.

Around the Network

Another one of these?Dont you people give up on doing these threads?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Whole world becoming multiplatform not just NIntendo, you can play everything on every device on platform. :)

Of Course not gonna happen.

First off, Nintendo would have to pay a publisher fee for the games if they're not on Nintendo consoles. That's about 10-13 dollars they lose out on every copy. Games only tend to make about 20 dollars of profit per unit, so they would have to sell WAY more copies to break even. At least 1.5 times as many copies, and maybe double.

Secondly, Nintendo would forfeit the licensing fees they get. Wii U may not have been a huge third party success, but Nintendo made serious bank off of things like Just Dance or Carnival games during the Wii era. If Yokai Watch sells three million units on the Wii, that's about 20 million dollars in Nintendo's coffers.

Nintendo would also be forgoing all revenue from their digital stores. In addition to having to pay to have their own games listed.

There are other reasons, but ultimately, being a platform owner is far preferable to being a third party developer, if you can pull it off. The Wii U obviously hasn't been great for Nintendo, but making another hit like the Wii, or even a more mild success like the 3DS, would make waaaay more money than they could make as a third party developer.

John2290 said:
KLXVER said:
Maybe Sony, MS and Nintendo should go mobile and PC only since the userbase of those are bigger...?

Yes. MS....which they are doing. Nintendo may go extinct so yes for them. Most PC and mobile games make they're way to PS4 and X1 anyway. Today I'm buying Kerbal space program. So yes. Everyone but Sony which still has a solid business that has plenty of exclusivity not only in games but in hardware like PS vita and PSVR to earn my 400 euro. 

Nintendo also has a solid business with the 3DS. Just because the WiiU failed doesnt mean the NX will.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
Why not both? : D They can make small games on mobile and their bigger console games on their consoles. Seems fair to me.

Because MS and Sony fans will keep bitching that Nintendo should go 3rd party because they can't play Nintendo games on PS/Xbox consoles. :)

Neodegenerate said:
Teeqoz said:

That is not how any sound business approaches their decisions. "Oh, we make money doing what we do, so we won't even consider doing something else that could potentially earn us more money".

Saying "As long as Nintendo makes a profit on their hardware there's no reason for them to go third party" is just as silly as saying "Nintendo should gothird party asap because Pokemon GO is such a huge success". Both statements are silly. Nintendo is out to maximize profits. They won't just settle with a sub-par performing home console and handheld division as long as it breaks even. They also won't just ditch their own hardware because they can see huge success in the mobile space.

Enough with the black and white "they won't ditch their hardware as long as it makes a profit" or the "Nintendo should go third party because Pokemon GO" bullshit.

Not once did I say they there is no reason for them to go third party.  What I said was one successful trip into a different realm for profits doesn't mean they are going to, or should, upend their entire business model.

All companies need to change and evolve to stay relevant and maximize their profits.  Those changes don't happen overnight, and contrary to what apparently a ton of VGC people think, they don't have to happen at the expense of the company's current offerings.

The black and white idea of "they won't ditch their hardware as long as it makes a profit" actually isn't bullshit though as they have proven to go that route for the last 30 years now.  Will they eventually stop with hardware?  Absolutely.  Is it going to be because Pokemon Go, a game they are actually a MINORITY stockholder in, is doing gangbusters on the app stores atm?  Not at all.  

When the positives for them going third party, or changing their plan as they did from cards to games, outweigh the negatives we will see them evolve.  Until then, people will have to rely on what is most likely going to be dedicated hardware and unique-to-mobile IP experiences out of Nintendo.

You literally said "as long as Nintendo makes a profit on their hardware they will continue making it". 

But in your last paragraph here, you proceed to sort of contradict that. It's not about if they make money with their own hardware, it's about wether or not they think they will make more money by going third party. Just as you say in your last paragraph.

Glad to see that we agree.

Another day for VGchartz.

Proud to be a Californian.

Miyamotoo said:
Cloudman said:
Why not both? : D They can make small games on mobile and their bigger console games on their consoles. Seems fair to me.

Because some Sony fans will keep bitching that Nintendo should go 3rd party because they can't play Nintendo games on PS consoles. :)

There, fixed.

Proud to be a Californian.

BasilZero said:

A mario platformer on mobile wouldnt have half the success Pokemon GO has.

Pokemon has a way bigger fanbase than Mario - as much as I hate to say it :/

Also as much as I would love to have Nintendo games on PC - I have a bad feeling it would end up like SEGA lol

Not really. No console Pokemon game comes close to any console Mario game. Both Pokemon and Mario are huge on their handhelds.