By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Vaporeon appearance in Central Park causes a stampede

the fuck? this game is taking over the world...

Around the Network

I've got to hand it to Nintendo. They've actually created a 'phenomenon' with this game.

The PS5 Exists. 

Man, the insanity continues with this app. Each passing day I just keep hearing more stories related to pokemon go. It's really taking the world by storm. I just wonder how long this will last.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

This is the second time now that Pokemon has become a fad to the point that it has impaired people's basic reasoning capabilities (the first time being 1999 when entire playgrounds were emptied during recess as kids huddled around in groups trading Pokemon cards).

I'm no historian, but I can't think of a past fad that has managed to come back in a nearly identical form and become this popular again. I mean, there aren't even new Pokemon, these are just the original 151, right?

You know, people mocked that first trailer cause there was no way that many people would be out in the streets to catch Mewtwo. And here we are, and turns out all it took was a Vaporeon V:

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Happy for Nintendo's success ... but that ... eh, I kinda cringed watching that. Like, life priorities?

I mean it is just like the millions of people that play video games inside. This game just requires you to go places...

GribbleGrunger said:
I've got to hand it to Nintendo. They've actually created a 'phenomenon' with this game.

Major props to Niantic which had tech that fits so perfectly with the Pokemon franchise.

Illusion said:
This is the second time now that Pokemon has become a fad to the point that it has impaired people's basic reasoning capabilities (the first time being 1999 when entire playgrounds were emptied during recess as kids huddled around in groups trading Pokemon cards).

I'm no historian, but I can't think of a past fad that has managed to come back in a nearly identical form and become this popular again. I mean, there aren't even new Pokemon, these are just the original 151, right?

Last I checked, there's 250 Pokemon to collect.

Soundwave said:
Happy for Nintendo's success ... but that ... eh, I kinda cringed watching that. Like, life priorities?

I feel much the same. I mean, good for Nintendo and all. But man....it's a bit fucked up to see people behaving like this. And all the talk around here: It's a huge success, it's a phenomenon, the money, the money! I notice very few, if any users talk about how good it is as a game. I will say it again at the risk of alienating myself from the Nintendo hardcores on VGC: It looks crap to me. Not the worst thing ever or anything, but crap, with a quality to popularity ratio that may be the most out of whack in human history. Love you! :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Farsala said:

I mean it is just like the millions of people that play video games inside. This game just requires you to go places..

That's actually a good point.  My initial reaction to this video was to roll my eyes at the craziness, but after listening to people's experiences with the game it sounds like it is actually bringing people together and is a great opportunity for socializing.  All in all, this game might actually be a pretty healthy thing.  I just hope people stay safe.