By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - June 2016 NPD Results

Mazzy said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
Oh, already have leaks, thanks Aqua.

Oh man, PS4 did WAY worse than i thought... Not bad XBO numbers considering the Slim annunced, even though there were insane promotion, but still. Better than expect.

Erm... not really. You predicted 250k on GAF, and it did 230k. Most people predicted around the 200-250k range for PS4. So seems about expectations, more or less. I don't understand why everything has to be hyperbole with you. 

Anyways, Xbox One is above expectations but has been getting fire sales and big discounts recently. I believe PS4 would benefit from a price cut pretty soon, it's effectively $100+ more expensive considering the constant deals XB1 has. 

Agreed. You can argue that as long as PS4 keeps selling more than XB1 every month, it doesn't matter that it's $100 more expensive. And I guess, Sony would prefer the extra revenue from the rest of the world as well where PS4's domination makes a price cut even more unnecessary.

BUT as long as services like PS+ rakes in those huge amount of money I believe it'd be worth it with a $50 or $100 price cut in order to keep its momentum. It's only been cut $50 in 3 years and that's a first for consoles. They'll likely save the price cuts for the holiday but imo it'd be clever to give it one now.

Around the Network

thanks for the numbers. gap pretty close for XB1 and PS4 this month. YoY drops explain by the fact that last year June had Batman release with a ton of PS4 bundles sold.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Thanks for the numbers Aqua!

Interesting to see that XOne is still selling well in the US, despite all the hardware announcements.But the PS4 sales also goes t show that the PS4 is going to sell regardless of the price.I see a permanent 50 dollars price drop during the holidays or after it passes, but until there, I dont think we are seeing any price cuts.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Xbox One had a really good month, ending up that close to the PS4.

princevenom said:
awesome x1 numbers
i think next month xbox will finally beat ps4 for the first time in 2016 npd

i would not be suprised, if the xb1 will win all npds until neo release or the next ps4 price cut
july is just 4 weeks with massive prime day and clearance sales
august is xbox one s release
September is Recore, Forza Horizon and full month availability of xbox one s
October is Gears realse with a Bundle

Neo will be late October or November release at the earliest (if the neo will come out this year)

performance of ps4 and xb1 so far this year

PS4
Q1 11,5% up YoY
O2 11,5% down YoY
H1 1% up YoY (basically flat)
Q3 780k units - i expect a 10 - 20% down YoY trend

XB1
Q1 6% down YoY
Q2 22% down YoY
H1 14% down YoY
Q3 680k units - i expect a 10 - 20% up YoY trend

Around the Network
jungemann said:
princevenom said:
awesome x1 numbers
i think next month xbox will finally beat ps4 for the first time in 2016 npd

i would not be suprised, if the xb1 will win all npds until neo release or the next ps4 price cut

Neo will be late October or November release at the earliest (if the neo will come out this year)

PS4
Q1 11,5% up YoY
O2 11,5% down YoY

XB1
Q1 6% down YoY
Q2 22% down YoY
H1 14% down YoY

Highly doubtful.  The XBO may win August because of the Slim, but that will be only temporary.  And we have already seen that games may give XBO a boost, but not enough to beat the PS4.  Of course, who knows what Sony has planned.  We may get a surprise pricecut in August.  It is long overdue to hit the $299 mark.  It'll definitely be dropping there sometime this year.  Once that happens, all bets are off.

Also, keep in mind, the only Slim SKU out in August is the $399 one.  It'll help, but not as much as a $299 SKU would.

What games do you guys want to get an idea about in terms of sales?

Aquamarine said:

You mean June/May release or even a bit older?

If first, Uncharted. If second, Splatoon, thanks.

thismeintiel said:
jungemann said:

PS4
Q1 11,5% up YoY
O2 11,5% down YoY

XB1
Q1 6% down YoY
Q2 22% down YoY
H1 14% down YoY

Highly doubtful.  The XBO may win August because of the Slim, but that will be only temporary.  And we have already seen that games may give XBO a boost, but not enough to beat the PS4.  Of course, who knows what Sony has planned.  We may get a surprise pricecut in August.  It is long overdue to hit the $299 mark.  It'll definitely be dropping there sometime this year.  Once that happens, all bets are off.

a new slim version with a much more compelling pricepoint and other benefits always increased the base demand of the product and did not only cause a temporarily spike.

just have a look at the ps3 anx xbox 360 slim

Aquamarine said:

i'm very curious about uncharted 4 legs, because on the psn store bestseller list, the game was only rank 16 in the us
i would also like some updates about halo 5. last figure was 1.7m retail (without bundle) at the end of december

Aquamarine said:

If you have any Uncharted 4 numbers that'd be absolutely amazing.

Also, thanks for once again sharing Hardware numbers with us!