By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pewdiepie responds to Warner Bros scandal

Danman27 said:
RolStoppable said:
What's the point of this?

The biggest issue here is that he can be bought and that's still just as true as before.

Is that really a big deal? Like, every celebrity can be "bought." Youtubers do sponsorships because it generates a lot of money. It becomes unethical if he doesn't disoclose that this is a sponsorship deal, which he did. 

It's not a big deal.  Paid endosements have been with us for well over 100 years and probably longer.  Baseball players in the early 1900s were being paid to promote products.  That Youtube celebrities are somehow much more noble and trustworthy entities that should have a higher standard than everyone in every other entertainment field ever is kind of funny.

We can no longer trust Pewdiepie?  Who here trusted him to begin with?  What is there even to trust him about?  It's like watching a standup comedian and then saying, "I don't trust that guy."

This is in no way the same as someone who dissiminates news as a profession.  

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Danman27 said:

Is that really a big deal? Like, every celebrity can be "bought." Youtubers do sponsorships because it generates a lot of money. It becomes unethical if he doesn't disoclose that this is a sponsorship deal, which he did. 

It's not a big deal.  Paid endosements have been with us for well over 100 years and probably longer.  Baseball players in the early 1900s were being paid to promote products.  That Youtube celebrities are somehow much more noble and trustworthy entities that should have a higher standard than everyone in every other entertainment field ever is kind of funny.

We can no longer trust Pewdiepie?  Who here trusted him to begin with?  What is there even to trust him about?  It's like watching a standup comedian and then saying, "I don't trust that guy."

This is in no way the same as someone who dissiminates news as a profession.  

Omg, you just took the words out of my mouth.

Why would anyone need to "trust" PewDiePie?  

He mostly screams and tells jokes, trust isn't needed to enjoy the content he provides.

Has he ever posted a review? assuming he did, that's not the type of content that's popular on his channel anyway. 

I don't enjoy his videos one bit, I never understood the appeal, but come on, why do people hate the guy so much? It's beyond me.  

lol@title, a scandel? really? -__-

The Idea that somebody gets paid to play products made by somebody else is wrong in itself.

Just watched his response, he kicked ass.

He is obviously not happy with the slandering and very disappointed with how unprofessional some big news outlets can be just for the sake of generating clicks.

I also loved the "can we hate him now?" bit, because it hits right at home. It's so obvious that many of you never liked the guy for no particular reason, and for once, you thought you had a legitimate reason to justify your inexcusable hate, but let me tell you, it only makes you seem silly, and probably jealous.

This is the video he was paid to make: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBdzQF0waU , and nothing is special about it, it's just like every other PewDiePie video. You can't even say he gave a Warner Bros' game special treatment.

Instead of attacking the guy, boycott the corrupt journalists who are misleading people, blatantly lying and harming the reputation of a harmless person.

RolStoppable said:
Barkley said:

You can say you had a lot of fun with a stick, that's not a postive critique of said stick. If he said "This game is a lot of fun" that would be positive critique.

You can have fun with absolutely attrocious games.

Your stealth edit beat the sense out of your post. Then again, the sense you tried to make wasn't all that great to begin with.

He got paid to do a video and he gave a positive critique. He can be bought. He is not a credible person. He is like a lot of gaming journalists who are rightly condemned for selling their integrity.

No, he isn't. 

No one watches PewDiePie for his critical insight. That's not the purpose of his videos. 

Other gaming journalists write professional critiques that we read to find out if they are positive or negative.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I partially agree with you but have you watched the sponsored video yet? It's not as bad as you're making it out to be. 

I did watch it, and you're right. It's not like he was gushing about the game. His actions were far less egregious than others.

But it's still an unsavory thing: accepting money from WB to surreptitiously promote a game. PDP is, ostensibly, on YouTube to provide a quality product for his subscribers, yet in this case he was providing a product for Warner Bros.

Again, I don't begrudge anyone who wants to watch PDP's videos for a lark. And I don't want to indict every celebrity that's ever sold Pepsi or Gold Bond. But I do think the YouTube community and video game journalists (those that aren't themselves in the tank for one corporation or another) has every right to question PDP's integrity.

We have to take the era into account as well though. If there's no precedent to explicitly disclose any of that info within the video, then we shouldn't crucify the guy for not having the wherewithal to do so. I agree, he should have known better as an influence to literally millions, but he didn't cover it up in any way we can prove intentional. (If there's anything this Presidential election has proven, you can't prove intent anymore.) 

Since then there has been a clear precedent made on this sort of issue. Somebody like The Completionist gives full disclosure as to how he even gets his games, and gives even more warning about paid placements. He's been the catalyst for the rest of the YT community to start doing so as well. In my eyes, so long as we don't have direct evidence he didn't just change the description last night, what he did was fine, if stupid. I'm fairly certain he's been entirely transparent since then with placement (though I don't watch at all so I could be wrong). I pin this mostly on WB for, as an established business, not requiring disclosure on the other end. I get that that reveals the hand but WB is normally better than this. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Xxain said:
The Idea that somebody gets paid to play products made by somebody else is wrong in itself.

What? Says who?

LurkerJ said:
RolStoppable said:

Your stealth edit beat the sense out of your post. Then again, the sense you tried to make wasn't all that great to begin with.

He got paid to do a video and he gave a positive critique. He can be bought. He is not a credible person. He is like a lot of gaming journalists who are rightly condemned for selling their integrity.

No, he isn't. 

No one watches PewDiePie for his critical insight. That's not the purpose of his videos. 

Other gaming journalists write professional critiques that we read to find out if they are positive or negative.

While I agree with your other stances in this thread I have to disagree with your first bit here. The Pewdiepie Effect is a real thing that can cause a spike in game sales. He doesn't have to give a critical stance to immediately influence people to buy the game. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
LurkerJ said:

No, he isn't. 

While I agree with your other stances in this thread I have to disagree with your first bit here. The Pewdiepie Effect is a real thing that can cause a spike in game sales. He doesn't have to give a critical stance to immediately influence people to buy the game. 

His effect is undeniable. His effect is also seen with games that are NOT critically acclaimed, like Goat Simulator. He didn't make the game any better by playing it, he just gave it the exposure it needed. He can scream "this game is so bad" during the entire video and people will just go buy the game anyway. 

He was paid to play a game on camera and he did. WB wanted to advertize their game and he accepted their offer without giving a postive critique. Come on now, how is that video critical anyway? Calling it a critique is an insult to real critiques. 

critique
krɪˈtiːk/
noun

1. 1.
    a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory.

so i watched it.

i can't see any reason to be angry about this.