By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pewdiepie responds to Warner Bros scandal

Sprash said:
who is winning this argument? the "damn, I wish I could get money that easy for that type of stuff" or the "he didn't do anything wrong crowd"

The people who aren't taking part in this ridiculous argument are the ones winning.

Around the Network

This is not as bad as the media was painting it, but still is a very ugly practice that I think we should not deffend, he already makes tons of money, why does he need to be paid for being biased in his videos? This is just greedy and questionable, it may not be ilegal but who can really trust this guy when we all know that he can be so easily bought?

Is true that other youtubers have done it way worse and they are not getting even a fraction of the backlash he is getting though.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I partially agree with you but have you watched the sponsored video yet? It's not as bad as you're making it out to be. 

I did watch it, and you're right. It's not like he was gushing about the game. His actions were far less egregious than others.

But it's still an unsavory thing: accepting money from WB to surreptitiously promote a game. PDP is, ostensibly, on YouTube to provide a quality product for his subscribers, yet in this case he was providing a product for Warner Bros.

Again, I don't begrudge anyone who wants to watch PDP's videos for a lark. And I don't want to indict every celebrity that's ever sold Pepsi or Gold Bond. But I do think the YouTube community and video game journalists (those that aren't themselves in the tank for one corporation or another) has every right to question PDP's integrity.

I get you but let's not forget he did disclose it was a promotion. Yes he could of disclosed it better and maybe he fucked up on that part but the media have gone to town on this and twisted it to make a better story. At the end of the day he did nothing wrong and he did more than he needed to but he could of been more clear. 

If he got paid to review it in a positive light then that is a lot worse because that is just outright lying since a review requires positives and negatives opinions to give a completely accurate review on your experience of a game.

SWORDF1SH said:

Darn it, you fell for it. His first 3 comment were ignored and he hooked you with his forth. Fish long enough and you'll get a bite I suppose!

You were absolutely right, jesus christ. I fall for it far too easily. There are some people that every post they make seems to be passive agressive or confrontational. I should learn to ignore such people.

Sprash said:
who is winning this argument? the "damn, I wish I could get money that easy for that type of stuff" or the "he didn't do anything wrong crowd"

lol It's worse than a PS4 vs XB1 thread. 

Around the Network

They need to expose Rubius now! His opinions about Ubisoft games are awfully positive, that can't be right.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

RolStoppable said:
What's the point of this?

The biggest issue here is that he can be bought and that's still just as true as before.

Is that really a big deal? Like, every celebrity can be "bought." Youtubers do sponsorships because it generates a lot of money. It becomes unethical if he doesn't disoclose that this is a sponsorship deal, which he did. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Barkley said:

It is not misleading or dishonest, if it was dishonest that would imply he is lying, he did not lie.

Not sure how he "put money" ahead of honesty with his fans either. He did disclose it was a sponsored video, and if he made it blatantly obvious he was sponsored it wouldn't have affected the money.

And they know that a vast majority of people will never look in the area where it says its sponsored, which is exactly why its put there and not in the video. WB wants people to think these are unbiased positive opinions about their game and not bought and paid for positive shilling and PDP was more than happy to take their check and oblige.

Then you're also going to have to claim that just about every company in existence is dishonest. Mobile stores require you to sign off on electronic forms that no one reads,  restaurants put all their federally required nutrition information in the back corner of a website that no one will read, car advertisements will quickly speed through all of the fine print when putting an ad on air, etc.

Bottom line, as a consumer, it's your job to be informed about things. If you're trusting a spokesperson, make sure you do your research on who they are, what ties they may have to the product, and whether they've done stuff like this in the past. There's admittedly some grey area in terms of how accessible advertisers/promotionalists have to make that material, but if it's in the description of a video which is a single click away, then I can't say I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who might have possibly been duped by this.

Barkley said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

And they know that a vast majority of people will never look in the area where it says its sponsored, which is exactly why its put there and not in the video. WB wants people to think these are unbiased positive opinions about their game and not bought and paid for positive shilling and PDP was more than happy to take their check and oblige.

Pewdiepie is not a reviewer, he rarely gives his "opinions" on how good a game is, he can play absolutely trash games and not say they're bad once. He just makes jokes, laughs and pisses about.

Never said he is a reviewer. And how rarely he does or does not give opinions about a game is irrelevant, because he did give an opinion in the video. A positive opinion, which he was paid for. Now, would he have given that same positive opinion if he weren't paid for it? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know, and that's a problem.

For the record, some are responding as if anyone who takes issue with this much just hate PDP. I rarely watch Youtubers much less PDP, but his Mordor video was actually funny and entertaining. But it was an advertisement. We can just agree to disagree, though PDP himself admitted in the video posted in the OP that he could have made it more apparent he was shilling :)

MTZehvor said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Then you're also going to have to claim that just about every company in existence is dishonest. Mobile stores require you to sign off on electronic forms that no one reads,  restaurants put all their federally required nutrition information in the back corner of a website that no one will read, car advertisements will quickly speed through all of the fine print when putting an ad on air, etc.

Bottom line, as a consumer, it's your job to be informed about things. If you're trusting a spokesperson, make sure you do your research on who they are, what ties they may have to the product, and whether they've done stuff like this in the past. There's admittedly some grey area in terms of how accessible advertisers/promotionalists have to make that material, but if it's in the description of a video which is a single click away, then I can't say I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who might have possibly been duped by this.

No qualms there, most of them are :)