By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Go has taken over my city, I've never seen anything like this.

Mummelmann said:
Something that blows up as huge and fast as this is bound to deflate at an equally impressive rate, that's just how trends work, the entertainment nomads will soon find new pastures and move to the next "it" thing. Major kudos for creating a global phenomenon though, it's good to see some real revenue streams flowing Nintendo's way again!

Even fads still last quite a while. Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, and Angry Birds are still getting considerable numbers of downloads today. 

Wii Sports/Fit were popular for several years too. 

Nintendo is just at the beginning of this gravy train. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Mummelmann said:
Something that blows up as huge and fast as this is bound to deflate at an equally impressive rate, that's just how trends work, the entertainment nomads will soon find new pastures and move to the next "it" thing. Major kudos for creating a global phenomenon though, it's good to see some real revenue streams flowing Nintendo's way again!

Even fads still last quite a while. Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, and Angry Birds are still getting considerable numbers of downloads today. 

Wii Sports/Fit were popular for several years too. 

Nintendo is just at the beginning of this gravy train. 

True, some last longer, but the majority drops off while a part of the customers remain. The bar for installing and uninstalling mobile apps that are either really cheap or even free will ensure that it's a much more volatile and fast-paced market than console or handheld console markets. But this is well known.

I guess we'll see in a few months what the retention rates look like. I really agree with you last bit though; mobile/tablet is where they money is at an Nintendo can do better than mostly anyone else in this space of gaming if they do it right.

Last Sunday I found at least 03 groups of young people talking A LOT about it in the subway...
And Pokemon Go is not even officially released in my country yet.

This thing is really a hot. hot trend right now.

Not mine! But this is what the 1st day of Semester 2 in my uni was like!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Installed it the other day, I have no idea what I am doing (never played pokemon in my life). What do all those things on the picture above mean?

Sometimes a pokemon just jumps out and I have no idea why. Nothing showed on the map until they did... I could probably watch a video somewhere but too lazy to do so. :P

Around the Network
Airaku said:

If you ever get a phone you definitely need to play. Hell, it may even warrant the purchase of a phone in its own right. Depending if you'd even be able to catch up at this rate.

I'm surprised you've mentioned that you've seen kids playing. I've only ever seen one kid play. Most of the players are in their 20's to mid 30's. I'm not even kidding.

I'm 42, early 20 somethings are kids to me :p I've seen teens to early 20's play it. Actually a little 4 year old girl asked my wife yesterday if she was catching a pokemon. (She was taking pictures in the garden) People were catching pokemon in the park behind our house all day again.

I had a cell phone years ago, cancelled it as I didn't need it nor use it hardly ever. Pokemon Go is the first interesting thing on it. However with the extertionist rates over here it's not worth getting in a 2 year contract for at close to $2000. And they say PC gaming is expensive! (I assume you need a data plan at least for it to work outside. Town is definitely not covered in mobile hot spot)

Edit: Turns out I can check out what my town looks like in Pokemon Go. There is a Pokestop (module?) in that park next to my house.
http://en.bignox.com/blog/?p=424
You can walk around with w,a,s,d keys. Not quite the same experience though lol, AR obviously does not work.