By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Go has taken over my city, I've never seen anything like this.

I just got back from the place I work. Some of my older coworkers who don't even play video games are playing Pokemon GO. This is literally turning the world upside down!!!

Around the Network

So, is it safe to say that we're at the beginning of PokeMania 2?

My city is about 250 000, and I still have not seen anybody play it. Was out quite a bit the last 2 days as well.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I work as an intern for a small startup. Everybody there (ten of us) is playing the game, except one. We had a job lunch today, and that was the topic of interest. Do note that all of us are in our twenties.

Could somebody tell me what the fuck a Pokestop is?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

A point of interest in the real world that gives players items for visiting. A lure can be used to attract swarms of Pokemon to the general area. If two or more Pokestops are close together, their fields of effect can overlap. Lures placed on multiple stops will 'stack' under these circumstances, making them hotbeds of activity for Pokemon and players.

@OT: We all live in a Pokemon world.

the_dengle said:
COKTOE said:

A point of interest in the real world that gives players items for visiting. A lure can be used to attract swarms of Pokemon to the general area. If two or more Pokestops are close together, their fields of effect can overlap. Lures placed on multiple stops will 'stack' under these circumstances, making them hotbeds of activity for Pokemon and players.

Thank you very much! :)

the_dengle said:
COKTOE said:

Which is why I could totally see Nintendo/Niantic/Pokemon Co selling Pokestop status to various businesses.  GameStop and Best Buy in particular come to mind since they tie into gaming and technology sales and would be pleased as punch to have tons of people drawn to their locations via a game.  Also, gym status could be sold to individual locations...my word, the business posibilities.  I could see malls being all over this, wanting multiple stops and 2 or 3 gyms in the building, especially really large ones. 

Nuvendil said:
the_dengle said:

Which is why I could totally see Nintendo/Niantic/Pokemon Co selling Pokestop status to various businesses.  GameStop and Best Buy in particular come to mind since they tie into gaming and technology sales and would be pleased as punch to have tons of people drawn to their locations via a game.  Also, gym status could be sold to individual locations...my word, the business posibilities.  I could see malls being all over this, wanting multiple stops and 2 or 3 gyms in the building, especially really large ones. 

I think most malls already have Pokestops. The nearest one to me has at least half a dozen leftover from the Ingress portals. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period as certain locations (especially churches) ask to be removed from the network while many businesses happily volunteer to take their place.

This is how I hope Nintendo approaches mobile gaming in general; take the strengths of mobile that can't be easily replicated on traditional gaming hardware and utilize them to create unique experiences. That way, Nintendo doesn't have to risk their mobile ventures cannibalizing on their hardware business and they can reap the benefits of another revenue stream along with all the free brand advertising.