By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Last gen, did you survive YLOD and/or RROD?

Did you survive YLOD/RROD?

My PS3 died 55 17.35%

My PS3 is still ok 107 33.75%

My Xbox360 died 74 23.34%

My Xbox360 is still ok 28 8.83%

My Wii will outlive every... 53 16.72%

Total:317

Had two 360s died due to RROD. Each one lasted about a year or so before being replaced.

Launch PS3 is super loud but still kicking.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

My 2009 fat PS3 is still alive and kicking. There's been many times where I thought this is it, lights flashing randomly, peeps and weird noises. Only one console has failed me and that was my first PS1, modding probably had something to do with it.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Ive got a PS3, Fat 80 GB model. First, it stopped reading any kind of cd... Then I return to store, because it was 6 days after purchase. Then the second one got YLOD. I sent it to SONY trhough Samborns, and a month later, I got a new one. It now has 10 years, and hasnt stopped working. Its a lil noisy and dusty, but it has the same 2 controllers, and they work 100%. I have opened them because when I droped them several times, lil plastic bits break inside and have to take them out. But still working. Just yesterday I took it out for a spin, for the new PS+ games from November.
Sony controllers are made of Vibranium or something, because I have the PS2 controlers that came with my ps2 working excellent.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

SvennoJ said:
EricHiggin said:

Alright no problem. Based on your explanation that you can solder and use a meter I figured it might be worth a shot.

You actually wouldn't be shorting out the power supply per se, and the short amount of time you would be making the connection to verify, wouldn't really hurt anything. Keeping the jumpers on for a very long period of time would eventually do damage, but we're talking a long time.

Have you tried looking up the more specfic secondary codes ?

Secondary error codes

An Xbox 360 with three flashing red lights will not power on, so the error message must be obtained by an alternate method.

Obtaining secondary error codes

Power the console on so the three red lights are flashing. While holding the sync button on the front of the console, press and release the disc eject button. The lights will begin flashing in a different pattern. The number of flashing lights in this new pattern determines the first digit of the secondary error code, ranging from 0-3, with all four lights flashing indicating a 0. Continue to hold the sync button, and press and release the eject button three more times to obtain the second, third, and fourth digits of the secondary error code in the same method. Pressing the eject button a fifth time should return the flashing lights to the original Red Ring of Death pattern. You have now obtained your 4-digit secondary error code.

Corresponding error codes

To determine which error message corresponds to your secondary error code, use the error code database provided by Xbox-Experts. 

https://xbox-experts.com/errorcodes.php

My brothers code was (E01) 0001 - short circuit in the console/faulty psu. Some of the codes are very specific so its might help you more than just guessing. It may also help the shop you take it to depending on how familiar they are with 360's.

Great info. My 360 gives error code 0003.

https://xbox-experts.com/errorcode/E03/0003/
The CPU is somehow not getting clean power, can be a cold solder joint under it or one of the external parts like a missing cap etc.

Known fixes:

1) Scan the mainboard and make sure that there is nothing that might short something out, like metal chipping, components, that moved out of place while reflowing, etc. - Especially in the CPU area
2) Replace MOSFETs and regulators that are known to cause it if they were blown
3) Check if the standby voltages are existent, if they are not at a certain area replace the parts in the area which are likely to be defective.
4) Reflow the CPU
5) X-Clamp replacement

That doesn't sound like the quick fix, replacing psu, I was looking for :) Which still needs to be replaced anyway.

Mosfets yup. Regulators I haven't seen to many people talk about.

Clean power and voltage issues could be caps since your new psu is most likely fine.

Reflow the CPU or GPU is pretty standard with the xenon boards and not an easy fix.

X-clamp replacement would be great. Newer 360's apparently got stiffer clamps. A few new clamps and some new paste would be an easy fix.

EricHiggin said:
SvennoJ said:

Great info. My 360 gives error code 0003.

https://xbox-experts.com/errorcode/E03/0003/
The CPU is somehow not getting clean power, can be a cold solder joint under it or one of the external parts like a missing cap etc.

Known fixes:

1) Scan the mainboard and make sure that there is nothing that might short something out, like metal chipping, components, that moved out of place while reflowing, etc. - Especially in the CPU area
2) Replace MOSFETs and regulators that are known to cause it if they were blown
3) Check if the standby voltages are existent, if they are not at a certain area replace the parts in the area which are likely to be defective.
4) Reflow the CPU
5) X-Clamp replacement

That doesn't sound like the quick fix, replacing psu, I was looking for :) Which still needs to be replaced anyway.

Clean power and voltage issues could be caps since your new psu is most likely fine.

Reflow the CPU or GPU is pretty standard with the xenon boards and not an easy fix.

X-clamp replacement would be great. Newer 360's apparently got stiffer clamps. A few new clamps and some new paste would be an easy fix.

I took it to the shop today. Turns out my old power brick is fine, it's only the console. He gave me a refurished one to try, said I can have it for $10--$20 bucks if it works alright. Those old white 360's aren't worth much anymore apparently. I guess I'll add it on to the tally of the ps4 pro on Thursday, pop HDD over and back in business for a while. Easy 'fix'.

Around the Network

Both a ps3 and a xbox 360 died on me so yeah.

I believe my Wii graphics card is on the fritz. Sometimes some background pixels pop up when playing MH3 (and for some reason if you hit home button while playing a NES game dead pixels start popping up but go away after resuming game). Probably due to the fact that the system has been played for 1000 of hours.

my 2007 ps3 died after 3 years, got a slim and it's still fine

SvennoJ said:
EricHiggin said:

I took it to the shop today. Turns out my old power brick is fine, it's only the console. He gave me a refurished one to try, said I can have it for $10--$20 bucks if it works alright. Those old white 360's aren't worth much anymore apparently. I guess I'll add it on to the tally of the ps4 pro on Thursday, pop HDD over and back in business for a while. Easy 'fix'.

Hmm... the old power brick is fine, but what about the other one? If it was working before you got it, and yet was showing a different state then your old brick, that's quite odd. Unless the other brick wasn't actually working properly.

Hopefully that refurb works ok. Is he going to repair your old unit and sell it, or is it beyond repair and just spare parts now?

The old white 360's are super cheap now yes. Most people will simply upgrade to the S models to make sure they don't have to deal with the red ring issue.

PS4 Pro "fix", lol, NICE!   Hopefully the Pro's new APU X-Clamp doesn't create the same problems the 360's did.

sethnintendo said:
I believe my Wii graphics card is on the fritz. Sometimes some background pixels pop up when playing MH3 (and for some reason if you hit home button while playing a NES game dead pixels start popping up but go away after resuming game). Probably due to the fact that the system has been played for 1000 of hours.

Aye that sounds like the gpu overheating alright, popped up a bit early in the consoles life because of the fan not powering on to counter the heat which would happen when the system was downloading data from the net while the system was on standby. Sorry to hear it happen after all this time, on the upside though you can find used Wii consoles pretty much everywhere for chump change so a replacement shouldn't be hard to get for ya.

Cool that you got so much use out of the system though before it suffered from the gpu dying, that's some sick amount of playtime :)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive