By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Last gen, did you survive YLOD and/or RROD?

Did you survive YLOD/RROD?

My PS3 died 55 17.35%

My PS3 is still ok 107 33.75%

My Xbox360 died 74 23.34%

My Xbox360 is still ok 28 8.83%

My Wii will outlive every... 53 16.72%

Total:317

I ended up having five different Xbox 360's last gen, and only one remains working. The first, which I bought Christmas 2005, RROD'd in about five months, before MS instituted the extended warranty. After that year ended, I eventually haggled them into replacing mine, and that one died pretty quickly too. I eventually just bought one of the Slim models, and it's still working fine about five years later. 

I did have one PS3 die on me, as well. My launch system didn't make it, which wasn't too big a deal as I had already had bought a separate Slim. 

My launch PS4 doesn't work right now, but it wasn't because of faulty manufacturing. A lightning bolt struck my yard while I was playing a game (it wasn't even storming) and fried not only my ps4, but my tv as well. The PS4's insides are still okay, but the HDMI input doesn't work. I'm probably going to get it fixed after I pay off the Pro. 

Note: Despite my awful luck with the last couple of generations, I still have an SNES, Genesis, PS2, N64, Gamecube etc. that all still work perfectly fine. 

Around the Network

-

I survived a fat 2008 model PS3, I hope it survives because it is CFW and I put tons of emus on it!

My fat 360 RRODed, I have a modded Slim now but still miss the old console :(

1 RROD in 3 months after purchase. Got rid of it.
1 YLOD in 1 year after purchase. Funny part is that it happenned after punching it due to taking a beating in modern warfare.

Bought another xb360 2 years after but barely used it. Bought a ps3 slim and it is still alive.

EricHiggin said:

This is very similar to my brothers 360, and yes, its definitely our Canadian power, lol. JK.

It's a power problem, but not the power brick most likely based on what your supply light is showing. Sounds like your old brick may have had a problem, or took a surge of some sort, which could have also affected the internal power circuit inside the console as well, since the console is older and now weak. Part of the power circuit for the 360 is inside the console itself. Thats where I had to replace my capacitors. I'm not saying its definitely your caps, beacuse there are a few things it could be within the power circuit, but its most likely in the console somewhere. I've read the mosfets in the power circuit shorting out are pretty common on certain 360's.

If you have no electrical knowledge, you could try and see visually if there's a problem, which could give you an idea where the problem lies. The problem isn't always clear to see visually though, so you could be wasting your time as well. You also would need to be a little careful because capacitors hold a charge and you could get shocked. It's unlikely, but possible if you don't know what your doing. 

The mosfets will literally looks burned and the caps will either have the top "X" or "K" marking popped up like a dome instead of flat, or the bottom rubber is bulged out which usually leads to a tilted cap, or you will see some yellow fluid leaked out on top or below the cap. The cap can also be blown wide open with black "powder" all around it, but thats more rare.

If you can't visually see any of that, and don't have any electrical background, its best to take it in to a shop and have them use their equipment and knowledge to troubleshoot it. 

Thanks! I'll take it in first so they can check another power supply to confirm it's the console but what you said sounds logical. I don't have that much electrical knowlegde, enough to know how to use a multi meter and soldering iron, and to recognize a capacitor, yet mosfets don't ring a bell. That's what google is for anyway :)

If my store confirms it's my 360 I might take it apart some day when I have nothing better to do. I'm kinda hoping all my games will make it to BC then I'll get them back when I buy a Scorpio :) I opened up my old ylod ps3 before, it's a wall decoration now lol.

Edit: I found the old pic

Some assembly required :)

Around the Network

360) Went through 8 of them, my 9th one still works. Brought my first one and day one. Got RRoD's, Scraching disks, and even some screens with blue lines. A fair few of those were broken ones Microsoft sent back to me with different problems. They really didn't have their shit together.

PS3) My phat PS3's Blu_ray drive burnt out. The rest of the system worked, as did the DVD drive for PS2 games. I just couldn't play physical games or watch Blu-Ray movies. I ended up getting a super slim God of War Ascension bundle for super cheap to play GTA V and The Last of Us. I preferred to play GTA V on PS3 than 360 for some reason....

Wii) Got it day one and still works like a charm.

SvennoJ said:
Hmm the plot thickens for my old 360. I borrowed a different power supply, rated the same 203w, now my 360 flashes 3 red lights while the power supply goes to green and back to orange. (my old power supply simply went to red when trying to turn on the 360 with no reaction from the 360)

The Microsoft site is not very helpful, hardware problem with either 360 or power supply, thanks... If power supply goes green, 360 is kaput, goes red, power supply bad, stays orange try a different power socket. I tried a few, stays orange, 360 why you no like Canadian electricity :/

Any clue? Guess I'll bring it to my local shop to get advice what to do with it.

This is very similar to my brothers 360, and yes, its definitely our Canadian power, lol. JK.

It's a power problem, but not the new power brick most likely based on what your supply light is showing. Sounds like your old brick may have had a problem, or took a surge of some sort, which could have also affected the internal power circuit inside the console as well, since the console is older and now weak. Part of the power circuit for the 360 is inside the console itself. Thats where I had to replace my capacitors. I'm not saying its definitely your caps, beacuse there are a few things it could be within the power circuit, but its most likely in the console somewhere. I've read the mosfets in the power circuit shorting out are pretty common on certain 360's.

If you have no electrical knowledge, you could try and see visually if there's a problem, which could give you an idea where the problem lies. The problem isn't always clear to see visually though, so you could be wasting your time as well. You also would need to be a little careful because capacitors hold a charge and you could get shocked. It's unlikely, but possible if you don't know what your doing. 

The mosfets will literally look burned or melted if it shows though visually, and the caps will either have the top "X" or "K" marking popped up like a dome instead of flat, or the bottom rubber is bulged out which usually leads to a tilted cap, or you will see some yellow fluid leaked out on top or below the cap. The cap can also be blown wide open on top with black "powder" all around it, but thats more rare.

If you can't visually see any of that, and don't have any electrical background, its best to take it in to a shop and have them use their equipment and knowledge to troubleshoot it.

I got one RROD from one xbox and no other problems.
My Ps3 Slim (CECH-25xx) is still working like a champion for more than 5 years.

My fat Xbox 360 died, bought a 360S afterwards. Should have probably gone for a PS3 Super Slim or a Wii after the old 360 died.

Elite 120gb. Jasper set chip if I remember correctly? Still running perfect, never had RROD, but I forget what the code was for a failed video card. Microsoft fixed it years ago and I haven't had issues at all with daily use. I did install almost every game to the HDD to avoid anything overheating.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"