By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Go Success Shows That Nintendo Should Go Full Mobile and call Quits on Consoles/Handhelds!

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

"Pokemon Go Success Shows That Nintendo Should Go Full Mobile and call Quits on Consoles/Handhelds!" ←←←

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Is Floating around quite alot online! I mean people with this mentality or similar thoughts think this is actually true? In fact i believe its quite the opposite!

~Wont it actually bring more awareness for Nintendo gaming Business (Consoles/HHs)? Wont profits from games that go mobile help out Nintendo in the future so making more games/expanding/etc is possible? Isnt more profits/money just mean "Nintendo is Doomed" be delayed even further from its 20-30 year intial mark?

But in all seriousness, what are some thoughts on this? Imo it only means positive as a whole for the company and even more so overall in the Console/HH market for us consumers.... THOUGHTS?

Around the Network

They shouldn't call quits on dedicated hardware just yet, we'll see how the NX does. But mobile alone could bring in more profits than Nintendo has ever generated in the past, and I genuinely believe Mobile could be Nintendo's primary market and earner in the future. The more successful their mobile division is the more the company as a whole focuses on that sector of the industry.

With Dedicated Handhelds seemingly in decline, If the NX fails mobile is the future of nintendo.

They can't quit dedicated hardware until they are fully established in the mobile space anyway, so it's going to be at least a few years regardless.

Yes because Miitomo also was such a big success.

Nah is the same old story, Nintendo has an epic win, gotta find a way to downplay it and make it look like a bad thing.

They are not gona leave the console market, handhelds being way more succesful than their homeconsoles did not make them go full handheld and the popularity of their mobile games would be way lower if wasn't because of the main games on dedicated hardware, to forget about them would not be wise and it doesn't look like is happening any time soon.

Right now I'm seeing the popularity of Pokemon rising like is 1996 again, wich will probably be very good for the main games, just as the main games are the reason of this explosion, there is gonna be a positive feedback between both.

Goodnightmoon said:

Nah is the same old story, Nintendo has an epic win, gotta find a way to downplay it and make it look like a bad thing.

I wouldn't call it downplaying or making it look like a bad thing at all... how is saying they're making an absolute fortune and could have incredible growth a bad thing? You're absolutely right it is an epic win, and with Pokemon Go doing numbers like this it would be foolish for Nintendo to not aggressively pursue the mobile market.

Dedicated Hardware isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but eventually it might do, if Nintendo gets into a situation where it decides to ditch dedicated hardware the company will be better for it. It all hinges on their dedicated hardware performance next generation. If the NX is another WiiU I wouldn't expect Nintendo to stay in the dedicated hardware business.

Recently the hardware has been holding the entire company back, as opposed to being something that actually benefits the company, builds consumer base and revenue.

Around the Network

That's silly. Just because one division is more profitable than another doesn't mean the less profitable division should be given up on. The less profitable division is still profitable.

How do these people expect me to play Spla2oon on a smartphone? The gamepad gyroscope was awesome!

How about Super Smash! Playing with 8 friends on a giant screen! Same with those party games!

I bet if they go full mobile they would still get hate.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

KLAMarine said:
That's silly. Just because one division is more profitable than another doesn't mean the less profitable division should be given up on. The less profitable division is still profitable.

Perfect! 

Isn't that like with Sony and their Smartphones? Isn't that getting rekt by Apple and Samsung the same way X1 and PS4 wrecking the Wii U? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

They just need to be smart with what they do and make the right mobile games.
Take a lot of the profits from those and start really pushing the NX and going after 2nd party and 3rd party. Hire more employees to push out more 1st party IP's as well.

A lot of good can come from this if they do a good mixture of both.

No, they shouldn't. They've sold more hardware than Microsoft and Sony this generation across both platforms. That my friends is no lie. The 3DS has outsold many of Nintendo's greatest successes:

SNES, N64, Gamecube and I'm sure it'll outsell the NES within the next few years. They've sold at least 73 million units of hardware ,vs. Sony's 54 Million, and Microsoft's 21 million. Nintendo still has a place in hardware. One screw up shouldn't dictate if a company should go full mobile...like what kind of rationale is that? They come off the Wii and DS, selling 101 million and 150 million respectively and just because things aren't near those levels, they should immediately stop? No, that's not how it works I'm afraid.

Nintendo can have mobile and hardware because as long as they keep their dedicated software on their dedicated hardware, they will survive. All of Nintendo's 1st party content, that isn't a silly spinoff or Starfox sells 1 Million+ units. Splatoon sold 4.75 Million units in a little over a year, Nintendo's hardware isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

If anything, we'll see NX incorporated somehow into smart devices. If they continue to make cheap, yet relatively powerful hardware which is very feasible now, they will easily sell in the 50+ million range of hardware and that's no small feat.