By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever stopped playing a game for a reason related to the storyline?

Yeah i stopped playing MGS V after Quiet got introduced in the game because i just couldn't continue playing the game with a constant boner

Around the Network

Actually no. I rather stop playing a game of boring gameplay mechanics.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Not exclusively, but bad story has certainly been a contributing factor in why I didn't continue a game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Yes, I quit playing Skyrim. It has some disturbing quests - morally speaking - though I can't specify one now.

This thread is a great read, seeing how games can affect people so much.

For me it was Spec Ops: The Line. I didn't actually stop playing but didn't want to complete the story (had to really). I mean, I had heard it was a great story with mediocre gameplay but that hadn't actually prepared me to how much in the end I hated the guy I was playing.

I have never stopped playing a game because of a bad story, I've stopped because of interest going elsewhere or because of other bad aspects of games but never a story.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Story is one of the most inportant things to me, but if the game is fun I still play it. While I have continued to play a bad game because of a good story, I have never stopped playing a fun game because of a bad story. If bad storytelling is involved with me quitting, odds are the game has other issues with it that also made me not want to play.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

The Fury said:

For me it was Spec Ops: The Line. I didn't actually stop playing but didn't want to complete the story (had to really). I mean, I had heard it was a great story with mediocre gameplay but that hadn't actually prepared me to how much in the end I hated the guy I was playing

No matter what happens next, don't be too hard on yourself. Even now, after all you've done, you can still go home. Lucky you.

This happends to me often with books,..... thats when I go "oh this author just ruined the story" and close the book.
(from that point on I dont read more in that book series).

I remember this happending with Anne Rice - The vampire Chronicles.
(the book series interview with a vampire is from)

^ around book 5, theres a plot twist in the story that just ruins it all for me.
So I havnt read past book 5, even though theres like 11 books in it so far (I think?).

And I really liked the first 4 in the series too.

Wright said:

No matter what happens next, don't be too hard on yourself. Even now, after all you've done, you can still go home. Lucky you.

Quiet Konrad, I'm thinking.

You are still a good person.

Yes, game, yes I am.

Hmm, pie.