By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I hope Sony does not listen to Microsoft call for open online gaming

I completely disagree with you.

An open online competitive play is better for the consumer / customer and that is the only thing the company should be considering. The only real issue I see is name clashing, but I'm sure that could be worked out behind the scenes and then be transparent to the user.

You as a consumer shouldn't care if Sony/MS/Nintendo is leading in sales... what you should care about is the content and benefits you are provided. Being able to play anyone from any type of environment is a good thing. It will make online games match-making faster and various online games have longer lives as the available player pool is larger.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:

1. But if Apple has all the apps you want, and Android doesn't. And all your friends have iPhones, and there is some proprietary messaging system to contact all your friends without eating up your texts (in this case, iMessage, which "artificially segregates consumers" as Android users don't have iMessage. Guess Apple is "stupid enough", huh?) . And iOS is one user interface that meshes across iPhone, iPad, iPod, iWatch, etc. but Android doesn't have that......and you want all those things, but then turn around and say "I don't want an iPhone". That makes no sense. 

By that same token, if you want to play certain exclusive games and multiplayer with your friends who all have a certain console.....then turn around and say "but I don't want that console", that also doesn't make sense. 

You're talking about exclusives, which is not what this is about. Apple doesn't have an app that is available on both platforms, but only talks to one. That's what's stupid. Exclusives aren't.

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm saying its okay they don't dominate the console and PC gaming space, as long as its viable. No company dominates everything they're involved with.

If they wanna dominate PC gaming and the console market, I guess they oughta consider spending more money even if it no longer becomes a profitable endeavor.

They tried the spending a shit load of money option already.  had a good base with Xbox,  found decent success with the 360. But then they blew their load all over the shop and fucked it up spectacularly with the x1. 

They're definitely going "ok" on the console space.  Pretty irrelevant right now in the pc space.  But are they satisfied after spending so much money over so long for gaming?  You can bet you're bottom dollar they're not. 

In the console arena, I think MS is trying to make as many gains as possible with minimal losses. This isn't the 7th gen in risk taking.

I think MS is about to become the most relevant they've ever been in PC gaming. Their PC gaming endeavor has certainly been a big topic. They never pushed AAA gaming like this before in the PC market. Hopefully they do it right.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

They tried the spending a shit load of money option already.  had a good base with Xbox,  found decent success with the 360. But then they blew their load all over the shop and fucked it up spectacularly with the x1. 

They're definitely going "ok" on the console space.  Pretty irrelevant right now in the pc space.  But are they satisfied after spending so much money over so long for gaming?  You can bet you're bottom dollar they're not. 

In the console arena, I think MS is trying to make as many gains as possible with minimal losses. This isn't the 7th gen in risk taking.

I think MS is about to become the most relevant they've ever been in PC gaming. Their PC gaming endeavor has certainly been a big topic. They never pushed AAA gaming like this before in the PC market. Hopefully they do it right.

I won't comment on how I think they'll do but they definitely have a chance to become relevant.  Time will tell.  

And yes that seems to be their strategy now with the comsole market.  Their original plan failed and they are into damage limitation mode.  Probably half hoping the slim and scorpio will change their fortunes before and xbox 2.

Kerotan said:

Probably half hoping the slim and scorpio will change their fortunes before and xbox 2.

It sounds like the plan is keep making upgrades to the Xbox One. Which makes sense if they stick with the same architecture.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Probably half hoping the slim and scorpio will change their fortunes before and xbox 2.

It sounds like the plan is keep making upgrades to the Xbox One. Which makes sense if they stick with the same architecture.

I doubt they will just keep doing partial upgrades.  I think they'll try at least 1 new console that's full backwards compatible. 

I'd like to play with everybody no matter what console or PC I have, I think like that as a player, any other consideration is irrelevant to me.

Regarding exclusive games, it's Sony's chose, both ways have pros and cons.

Tim and The Princes...

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I doubt they will just keep doing partial upgrades.  I think they'll try at least 1 new console that's full backwards compatible. 

Well the power increase is practiically like a next gen console. It takes a lot of power to make the jump from 720p-1080p to 4K. Some developers will opt to use much of that power on graphics/performance instead and those titles will look a generation ahead of current consoles.

Just because they keep calling it X1 doesn't mean that limites the potential upgrades on specs. But at some point high end games will have to stop supporting 1st gen specs, kinda like phones. But more simplistic stuff like indie games, classic ports, could support 1st gen X1 for many years. Atleast I would hope that's the direction MS is going with X1.

Hence, its like the PC. They don't move generations, they just get better specs and OS updates.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Well the power increase is practiically like a next gen console. It takes a lot of power to make the jump from 720p-1080p to 4K. Some developers will opt to use much of that power on graphics/performance instead and those titles will look a generation ahead of current consoles.

Just because they keep calling it X1 doesn't mean that limites the potential upgrades on specs. But at some point high end games will have to stop supporting 1st gen specs, kinda like phones. But more simplistic stuff like indie games, classic ports, could support 1st gen X1 for many years. Atleast I would hope that's the direction MS is going with X1.

Hence, its like the PC. They don't move generations, they just get better specs and OS updates.

If it goes like that or at least something similar which it will I think that's a good thing.  

And ideally the PS6.5 and X3.5 in 15 years (or whatever) will support all weaker games released on ps4, PS5 and x1 and x2 if you get my drift. 

Developers can still make remasters and sell them for a premium but you should still be able to play your old games at least the ones bought digitally.  

With the move to x86 this will hopefully become the standard going forward. 

vivster said:

The fallacy here is that people are not simply buying consoles because exclusives. They buy it first because they aren't PCs and only then decide which of the console to get by exclusives. Believe me when I say that if there were no exclsuive games on consoles, they would still sell a lot.

Just listen to any console peasant rant on why consoles are superior and you will see that exclusives are just one point of many.

That's not true, if there are no exclusives, the wii u wouldn't even exist. Or it will die out like the PS Vita to the point nobody care anymore.