Forums - Sony Discussion - I hope Sony does not listen to Microsoft call for open online gaming

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

If they are willing to offer it on TVs, android based (and after Xperia it seems they want to offer it at samsung and others) it will come to windows eventually. But surelly I may be completely wrong.

I think Sony perceives Windows as too much a threat to do that.

If Sony really wanted to make PSNow available to a big audience, they should start with Windows.

I don't know if they think windows or samsung is the bigger threat, but I agree with you that Windows should be a system where PSNow runs and also agree that Sony is looking at threat and opportunity in offering it on Windows... but I have no idea on how long they will take to make it available

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

ignore, loading issue.

Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

If they are willing to offer it on TVs, android based (and after Xperia it seems they want to offer it at samsung and others) it will come to windows eventually. But surelly I may be completely wrong.

If Sony really wanted to make PSNow available to a big audience, they should start with Windows. Its one of the easiest things to support that already has a large gaming audience. Easy to get a gamepad working on WIndows as well.

I have stopped following PSNow news, but do you know at what stage is their service in USA or the like... which platforms they are offering it on?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If Sony really wanted to make PSNow available to a big audience, they should start with Windows. Its one of the easiest things to support that already has a large gaming audience. Easy to get a gamepad working on WIndows as well.

I have stopped following PSNow news, but do you know at what stage is their service in USA or the like... which platforms they are offering it on?

I had two similar posts because my browser wasn't responding, but anywho.

Looked it up, PS Now is just on Playstation device from PS3, Vita, Vita TV, and PS4. Its also on some TVs and Bluray players.

Windows has a bigger reach than all of those devices combined with tons of gamers. For those who are away from home a lot, it would be great on laptops as well. So I dunno, I feel like Sony is hindering the potential success of PS Now and PS Vue but ignoring Windows.

Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

I had two similar posts because my browser wasn't responding, but anywho.

Looked it up, PS Now is just on Playstation device from PS3, Vita, Vita TV, and PS4. Its also on some TVs and Bluray players.

Windows has a bigger reach than all of those devices combined with tons of gamers. For those who are away from home a lot, it would be great on laptops as well. So I dunno, I feel like Sony is hindering the potential success of PS Now and PS Vue but ignoring Windows.

Thanks for the info... on the TV and Bluray players did you saw Samsung and LG as supported devices? Because if they are ok with making it available on these competitors and in the recent past partnered with MS on Vaio they shouldn't ignore the reach it could have on windows and possibly a partnership for in the case of Windows 10 device to use their cloud service to make it cheaper for Sony and faster for end users making a win win situation.

Around the Network
Ruler said:

A console is still a console and does best what it was built for, gaming. While yes the PS4 does have a lot of things more reminisant of a PC it still gives you a way easier plug and play experience which PC gamers can only dream off.

- you can plug your disc and instantley install your games, no waiting for download.

- games ussually are installed in 1-2 minutes and you can start them while the rest is installed in the background (20 minutes) from the disc.

- Patches are downloaded and installed while you are even playing the game, you just need to restart the game in order make the patch effective.

- for digital games they are downloaded and installed at the same time. And you dont need the complete game in order to start it, like 10 GB of a 50GB is enough for many games even if it is just a Demo mode for some AAA games like NBA 2k2016.

- you can also just change the language of the game at any givene time to any language you want if it is on the disc or download. Even if the devoloper designed the game to be in the language of the system menu. Its very usefull for looking at item names in english to see in online guides etc. and even MS plans to implement it on Xbox One.

- you can copy and paste your save file when ever you want and for any game you want. Some grindy games like DoA3 its very usefull.

All these things isnt what i was used to when i was a PC gamer. While yes the downloads, installations and patches are mimicking PCs, the excuation is completley different on console or at least on PS4 it is as far as i know. 

On the Wii U it is still reading the games from the Disc.

I've seen the opposite where both Western and Japanese games have been getting patches. You can easily say that right now the game you play doesn't have any patches but it's not easy to entirely gurantee that they never ever will in the future, unless of course you come from the future to know such information. I also don't know why we're at this odd step where you've now seperated games from Western and Japanese.

I'm not saying consoles can't have said features, I was pointing out that they are in fact trying to emulate what a PC has done for decades, they are trying to accomplish what a PC can already do because they think it matters to a degree that it's worth emulating and clearly that isn't a subject matter because what is there is there in front of you, nothing will change the fact that they want what a PC can do for their audience.

1)For physical based games I can do the same.

2)clients like Battle.net allow for this as well as others.

3)I can allow for games to be patched while playing my games on Steam via selecting a global downloads option to not restrict patching while playing said games.

4)Sounds like a different but same point as  #1 and #3.

5) Clients like Origin allow for this as well

6)This is something you have been able to do since the old times on your desktop with copy+pasting save files whenever and wherever you want.

I like how you've managed to turn this into a PC vs console talk of what was originally me just pointing outt hat consoles were trying to copy what a PC can do and then you turn around to go "well this is what a PC can't do" which really wasn't needed unless out of emotional spite.

"it still gives you a way easier plug and play experience which PC gamers can only dream off."

Can only dream of you say?, please, I've had a simple time with gaming on PC, especially with the likes of Steam, Origin, GoG and Battle.net, trying to tell me I dream of having what a PC can do is such a folly onto itself. 

Mr Puggsly said:
Muffin31190 said:

I think you are givng the Windows store more credit then it actualy deserves, I know of it however I have never used it (even have 10 on my laptop) just my example. But as far as what ive ive seen and heard the Windows store is no where near the level it needs to be able to make this cross platform thing happen there needs to be a LOT of work done to even be in the same realm as other companies.

Well people are already using the Windows Store based on user reviews.

Simply using my common sense... more people will use Windows Store as long as it gets notable content. The crossplatform thing is already happening with Killer Instinct.

Just like it did for those Windows phone's. More content does not mean more usage, though it could expand and bring in more but they keep on limiting it with it having to be stuck behind 10, open it up to more platforms then just that, I mean hell isnt that what this is all about by making games crossplay with eachother. Microsoft is saying one thing and doing another with this whole crossplay situation, Claims to be for it yet they have so many games that could be cross play yet they have put no step forward to do it, and they also have all of these other OS's that they could work with such as 7 and 8 as well as Mac and linux that they could work with, yet they are focusing on sony. 

Prime example of this whole situation is that you can play your PS through remote play on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, and MAC, yet on with the Xbox you can only remote play on Windows 10 Why is tha? I mean Shit why cant you play on any other platform let alone just another WINDOWS platform. This whole situation with what Microsft has said makes and it look like Sony are the ones not adhearing to the whole crossplay scene yet all of the evidence points to the contrary.

Muffin31190 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well people are already using the Windows Store based on user reviews.

Simply using my common sense... more people will use Windows Store as long as it gets notable content. The crossplatform thing is already happening with Killer Instinct.

Just like it did for those Windows phone's. More content does not mean more usage, though it could expand and bring in more but they keep on limiting it with it having to be stuck behind 10, open it up to more platforms then just that, I mean hell isnt that what this is all about by making games crossplay with eachother. Microsoft is saying one thing and doing another with this whole crossplay situation, Claims to be for it yet they have so many games that could be cross play yet they have put no step forward to do it, and they also have all of these other OS's that they could work with such as 7 and 8 as well as Mac and linux that they could work with, yet they are focusing on sony. 

Prime example of this whole situation is that you can play your PS through remote play on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, and MAC, yet on with the Xbox you can only remote play on Windows 10 Why is tha? I mean Shit why cant you play on any other platform let alone just another WINDOWS platform. This whole situation with what Microsft has said makes and it look like Sony are the ones not adhearing to the whole crossplay scene yet all of the evidence points to the contrary.

The Window's phone thing is very different and the biggest issue with them is their store is not at par with Apple or Android. I think the average consumer is more open to upgrading their OS then their preferred phone platform.

They could apeal to a larger audience not sticking their games behind Windows 10, but the obvious goal is more incentive to encourage gamers to upgrade to Windows 10. For what its worth, the most popular OS on Steam is Windows 10 so clearly a lot of gamers could use the Windows Store.

I'm not saying you're wrong, we just know MS's focus is getting more people on Windows 10. Sony has no reason to support 10 only.

Recently Completed
Gears 5

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Once again you bring up an irrelevant tangent.  I said they'd like to which they would.  In response to your laughable comment about them being satisfied just taking part.  Multi billion companies don't think like that. 

I'm saying its okay they don't dominate the console and PC gaming space, as long as its viable. No company dominates everything they're involved with.

If they wanna dominate PC gaming and the console market, I guess they oughta consider spending more money even if it no longer becomes a profitable endeavor.

They tried the spending a shit load of money option already.  had a good base with Xbox,  found decent success with the 360. But then they blew their load all over the shop and fucked it up spectacularly with the x1. 

They're definitely going "ok" on the console space.  Pretty irrelevant right now in the pc space.  But are they satisfied after spending so much money over so long for gaming?  You can bet you're bottom dollar they're not. 

spemanig said:
Azuren said:

1. No, it kind of does. If you state everything you want, and then say you don't want whatever product does exactly that then you're just being silly. "I want a device that uses a capacitive touch screen with access to a large store of applications ranging from games to special-purpose tools that can send emails, text messages, and call people. NO I DON'T WANT A SMART PHONE." 

2. Ass backwards is kind of redundant; you'd just be facing forward. Based on this silly logic, anything that's ass backwards will only continue to move forward, whereas "ass forwards" stuff will continue to move backward.

1. No, it's being a consumer. It's not saying you don't want a smartphone; it's saying you don't want Apple or you don't want Android, two competing platforms who aren't stupid enough to artificially segregate their consumers.

2. It doesn't mean facing forward. How can you call it redundant and then completely mess up what it means? Ass is reinforcing backwards. It's as backwards as someone's ass. That's what it means. It's moving backwards.

1. But if Apple has all the apps you want, and Android doesn't. And all your friends have iPhones, and there is some proprietary messaging system to contact all your friends without eating up your texts (in this case, iMessage, which "artificially segregates consumers" as Android users don't have iMessage. Guess Apple is "stupid enough", huh?) . And iOS is one user interface that meshes across iPhone, iPad, iPod, iWatch, etc. but Android doesn't have that......and you want all those things, but then turn around and say "I don't want an iPhone". That makes no sense. 

By that same token, if you want to play certain exclusive games and multiplayer with your friends who all have a certain console.....then turn around and say "but I don't want that console", that also doesn't make sense.