By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I hope Sony does not listen to Microsoft call for open online gaming

I'd almost bet a majority the "pro consumer" people saying that Sony should allow cross platform play were against it last gen.

Same with the "anti consumer" playstation crowd saying they shouldnt.

Thata the definition of a hypocrit.

Doesn't matter to me at all what they decide just report honestly that in no way is "open multi-player" an MS idea. FFxiv is the perfect example of that. I would love having more ffxiv players in the pool by adding it to the xbox.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

What notable games did Windows store get prior to 2016? GTA: San Andreas and the Halo twin-stick shooters? You know I'm right on this.

Lets not drag the phones thing into this. Very irrelevant and is MS the only company with some failures? Nope.

Going head on with Steam is not a good idea nor is it what they're doing. MS has so many interesting games they could put on Windows Store. Hence, bring new games and port old stuff to the Windows Store. Competing with Steam isn't worthwhile and frankly that isn't where all the money in PC gaming is.

MS want to compete with STEAM. its just they've got to climb mountain everest naked carrying a camel first.  

I wish them luck but if this fails all it will have done is damage their console.  Why buy a x1  if you game on pc when the pc gets all its exclusives.  Pc + ps4 will be a better option.  

PC sales having been rising as of late and Microsoft is only helping things along for them. haha If I dont do it this gen, I will probably go back to PC gaming. I was PC/ Playstation/ XBox/ Nintendo in highschool and it seems the natural progression would be PC/ Playstation/ Nintendo.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kerotan said:

MS want to compete with STEAM. its just they've got to climb mountain everest naked carrying a camel first.  

I wish them luck but if this fails all it will have done is damage their console.  Why buy a x1  if you game on pc when the pc gets all its exclusives.  Pc + ps4 will be a better option.  

PC sales having been rising as of late and Microsoft is only helping things along for them. haha If I dont do it this gen, I will probably go back to PC gaming. I was PC/ Playstation/ XBox/ Nintendo in highschool and it seems the natural progression would be PC/ Playstation/ Nintendo.

Yeah owning all consoles and a pc is over kill now.  Pc/ps4/Nintendo pretty much has you covered for everything 

BMaker11 said:

#1 if you want to play a game and it's only on one console, or you want to play a game to play multiplayer with your friends who have that console, then you do want that console. "I want to play CoD with my friends, but they all have it on Xbox, but I don't want to buy an Xbox"......well, then you don't really want to play CoD with your friends, now do you?

#2 Oh, it's "ass-backwards" now to keep online just to your platform? Why was no one saying this years ago? Every other "ass-backwards" policy MS had was reversed because everyone made a big enough stink behind it, such as Netflix being behind a paywall. It wasn't "ass-backwards" a year ago, but now all of a sudden that Microsoft is playing every card they can to stay relevant this gen, cross-play being their most recent one, playing online with just your platform is "ass-backwards"? Are "console generations" now "ass-backwards" because Microsoft wants to get rid of them? 

1. No, you don't. What you said makes no sense.

2. I was saying it's ass backwards years ago.

spemanig said:
BMaker11 said:

#1 if you want to play a game and it's only on one console, or you want to play a game to play multiplayer with your friends who have that console, then you do want that console. "I want to play CoD with my friends, but they all have it on Xbox, but I don't want to buy an Xbox"......well, then you don't really want to play CoD with your friends, now do you?

#2 Oh, it's "ass-backwards" now to keep online just to your platform? Why was no one saying this years ago? Every other "ass-backwards" policy MS had was reversed because everyone made a big enough stink behind it, such as Netflix being behind a paywall. It wasn't "ass-backwards" a year ago, but now all of a sudden that Microsoft is playing every card they can to stay relevant this gen, cross-play being their most recent one, playing online with just your platform is "ass-backwards"? Are "console generations" now "ass-backwards" because Microsoft wants to get rid of them? 

1. No, you don't. What you said makes no sense.

2. I was saying it's ass backwards years ago.

1. No, it kind of does. If you state everything you want, and then say you don't want whatever product does exactly that then you're just being silly. "I want a device that uses a capacitive touch screen with access to a large store of applications ranging from games to special-purpose tools that can send emails, text messages, and call people. NO I DON'T WANT A SMART PHONE." 

2. Ass backwards is kind of redundant; you'd just be facing forward. Based on this silly logic, anything that's ass backwards will only continue to move forward, whereas "ass forwards" stuff will continue to move backward.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yeah owning all consoles and a pc is over kill now.  Pc/ps4/Nintendo pretty much has you covered for everything 

PS4/PC/WiiU/3DS.

Vita can be a PS4 peripheral. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Swordmasterman said:
Pemalite said:

I disagree.
You wan't Sony's competitors to be competitive with Sony.
Sony is at it's best when it doesn't become complacent. (Re: PS3 Launch.)

Besides, having people gaming together irrespective of platform would just be awesome, no longer will you have a real-life friend that you will never be able to game with because they have a different device, game servers will have higher populations due to consolidation so you as a consumer can get more of your money's worth before the games multiplayer population implodes.
There will likely be more game servers available to a player overall resulting in a better experience.

Sony made the PS3 hard to develop to and launched it for 600US$ (the console was actually more expensive) Those are silly mistakes and I don't understand what this have to do with the actual generation or their future mistakes. Microsoft already make 2 big mistakes and now are going for the third one, the Aways online on the launch, the Kinect Mandatory even after the launch and now all their exclusives will be playable on the PC.

This is anti-consumer for who first purchased the Xbox. I don't think that Microsoft should be able to compete directly with Sony unless they have fixed their problems. I think that would be more interesting to see the NX competing  directly with the PS4.

You have missed my point completely, it was about companies becoming complacant, not strictly making mistakes and that tends to result in anti-consumer practices. Sony did it last generation, Microsoft did it this generation as you so eloquently pointed out.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

What notable games did Windows store get prior to 2016? GTA: San Andreas and the Halo twin-stick shooters? You know I'm right on this.

Lets not drag the phones thing into this. Very irrelevant and is MS the only company with some failures? Nope.

Going head on with Steam is not a good idea nor is it what they're doing. MS has so many interesting games they could put on Windows Store. Hence, bring new games and port old stuff to the Windows Store. Competing with Steam isn't worthwhile and frankly that isn't where all the money in PC gaming is.

Maybe down the road MS may want to compete with Steam, but as of 2016, they want to coexist with Steam by offering exclusive content. MS even has games on Steam. Again, people can use both Windows Store and Steam. Its just a different icon in Windows 10.

As long as people are buying their games for X1 or Windows 10, I think MS is okay with that. Most PC gamers are just PC gamers, especially outside the west. So thats an audience MS is interested in.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kerotan said:

As long its Windows 10 and you buy games on the Windows Store, you can still help the cause.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

As long its Windows 10 and you buy games on the Windows Store, you can still help the cause.

Well of course. The console industry works as follows...with exclusives and titles on the platform selling the platform. If you care more about the OS than the platform....are you really for the console? I'll pay them for the games. There is no problem there.