By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming's worst marketing/business decisions?

SpokenTruth said:
Miyamotoo said:

You lying youself if you think a lot of PS1 games were possible on cartridge that have max size of 64MB. Huge majority of PS1 games had size of several hundreds MB, how can you fit those size if you cartridge with max size of 64MB!? Some games definatly could fit even on 64MB but pure fact is that huge majority couldnt fit. Also GC had far more better 3rd party support the N64 had despite N64 was selling better, also pure fact. Actualy N64 is Nintendo console with smalest number of relased game, why do think that is a case!?

RE2 was 2 discs on PS1 yet Angel Studios (now known as Rockstar San Diego) put the whole game on the N64 with all cutscenes and dialog.

"Some games definatly could fit even on 64MB but pure fact is that huge majority couldnt fit".

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Man.... your cause and consequence relation are all messed... but let's keep going.

if you assume they had made those mistakes before (the ones on WiiU) and new ones so some of their demons for the past still haunt them.

The fact that you can't read a DVD movie on it doesn't make the drive itself much cheaper I suppose (and you are just throwing a conjecture, not an evidence) and I told you that the royalties weren't big so I'll give you the very high royalty prices

DVD-ROM Drive The greater of:
(ⅰ) 4% of the net selling price (up to a maximum of US$8.00 per drive) or
(ⅱ) US$4.00 per drive;
US$2.00 per drive on or after the effective date of the New DVD6C License Agreement
DVD-ROM Disc US$0.075 per disc;
US$0.065 per disc on or after January 1, 2002;
US$0.05 per disc on or after January 1, 2004;
US$0.04 per disc on or after the effective date of the New DVD6C License Agreement;

US$0.03 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after January 1, 2015, US$0.0275 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after January 1, 2016, and US$0.0225 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after January 1, 2017, for those licensees with no overdue or incorrect royalty reports or overdue or underpaid royalties (including back royalties) and otherwise in compliance with the New DVD6C License Agreement:
(ⅰ) as of the due date for payment of royalties for the immediately preceding semi-annual reporting period, or
(ⅱ) to qualify for the reduced rate for the first half of 2016, as of, and only if the New DVD6C License Agreement has been entered into on or before, July 31, 2016,

provided that a licensee who otherwise qualifies for the US$0.0275, and/or US0.0225 per disc rate shall be subject to the US$0.04 per disc rate for any period for which an audit has revealed an underpayment of royalties of greater than 3%.

So nope, that wasn't a high fee... and that is the fee on the price of the drive not the whole assembly that contained it. So if Nintendo would pay 30 usd for the drive on the launch (let's assume) it would mean 1,2 usd on royalty for the drive and less than 10 cent fee on the disc itself (that would sell for 60 usd anyway).

And Sony sold PS2 for 100 and made profit over it, and probably could sell for 50 we may never know (PS1 was sold for 50). DVD players were expensive, more expensive than PS2, but that doesn't necessarily means the drive itself were a lot more expensive than Mini DVD, and until you bring evidence it isn't a possible point to make. Unless you think 1-4 usd royalty on launch was that much important to make the mess of Mini DVD.

Yes, PS3 costed 800 to manufacture... but the real cost of the bluray drive isn't determined but estimative is around 100,00 on launch (yes very high, but not even close to being the sole responsible for the high price... and nowhere close to the more than 600 a bluray player costed at the time).

I couldn't find very fast the cost of the drives itself... but considering Gamecube launch on 2001 (over 18 months later than PS2) and DVDs already being sold on Japan since 1996 the drive wasn't as expensive as you may think, and Nintendo certainly had room for that analysis. And you yourself gave the main reason being piracy and not cost at first, so why did you change it?

You can keep telling yourself that N64 had bad support only because of the cartridge (it certainly was a reason), but considering the good games (including Tony Hawks) that were running on N64 a lot of games were possible on the cartridge. How good of a support did GC really get besides launch? Will you say the reasons for low support changed gen to gen and Nintendo were fixing one mistake to them discover another? Because since N64 their 3rd party support is laughable.

Again, we can say that one of their biggest mistake was N64 catridge format (size of games), Wii U dont have that problem so we cant say "all nintendos demons are still haunting them till this day", beacuse that clearly inst ture, but you can keep deny that pure fact.

What is a price of fully capable DVD player that PS2 used at beginning of that gen!?

You lying youself if you think a lot of PS1 games were possible on cartridge that have max size of 64MB. Huge majority of PS1 games had size of several hundreds MB, how can you fit those size if you cartridge with max size of 64MB!? Some games definatly could fit even on 64MB but pure fact is that huge majority couldnt fit. Also GC had far more better 3rd party support the N64 had despite N64 was selling better, also pure fact. Actualy N64 is Nintendo console with smalest number of relased game, why do think that is a case!?

Ok, so you are only discussing the "all"... ok you win.

The price of the DVD player doesn't matter because you don't know how much was the premium, and you also didn't said what was the price of a capable Mini DVD at the time, not even asking for a fully capable.

I'm not lying to myself. With the right compression tools a lot the games on PS1 could fit on the cartridge. I'm not saying most, I'm saying a lot. They weren't there for some reasons, bad relationship, low sales of N64, lack of interest to invest the time to make it work, and of course for some of them, the cartridge limitation.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

Again, we can say that one of their biggest mistake was N64 catridge format (size of games), Wii U dont have that problem so we cant say "all nintendos demons are still haunting them till this day", beacuse that clearly inst ture, but you can keep deny that pure fact.

What is a price of fully capable DVD player that PS2 used at beginning of that gen!?

The price of the DVD player doesn't matter because you don't know how much was the premium, and you also didn't said what was the price of a capable Mini DVD at the time, not even asking for a fully capable.

I'm not lying to myself. With the right compression tools a lot the games on PS1 could fit on the cartridge. I'm not saying most, I'm saying a lot. They weren't there for some reasons, bad relationship, low sales of N64, lack of interest to invest the time to make it work, and of course for some of them, the cartridge limitation.

Price of full DVD player does matter because back then had high price, and I assume Nintendo wanted more affordable console.

Even with all those tools majority of games couldn't fit on max size of 64MB. Even with great sales, good relationship, interest...huge majority of gamers couldn't fit even if developers wanted. GC had around 50% worse sales than N64 had, but regardles GC had much better 3rd party suport.

If you relly want to know what are IMO Gaming's worst marketing/business decisions, this what I wrote:

-Sega- Releasing too many hardware in small amount of time.
-Nintendo- Staying with N64 cartridges (even back than that rely wasn't bad decision because every disk based console failed until PS1). Wii U revealing, marketing, naming, pricing, game pad, launch titles...bloody mess.
-Sony- PS3 $600 launch price, very complicated CPU. Vita, price, price of cards, 1st party content.
-MS- XB1, inital plans about DRM and block of used games, releasing console with higher price with less power than PS4.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Price of full DVD player does matter because back then had high price, and I assume Nintendo wanted more affordable console.

Even with all those tools majority of games couldn't fit on max size of 64MB. Even with great sales, good relationship, interest...huge majority of gamers couldn't fit even if developers wanted. GC had around 50% worse sales than N64 had, but regardles GC had much better 3rd party suport.

If you relly want to know what are IMO Gaming's worst marketing/business decisions, this what I wrote:

-Nintendo- Staying with N64 cartridges (even back than that rely wasn't bad decision because every disk based console failed until PS1). Wii U revealing, marketing, naming, pricing, game pad, launch titles...bloody mess.
-Sony- PS3 $600 launch price, very complicated CPU. Vita, price, price of cards, 1st party content.
-MS- XB1, inital plans about DRM and block of used games, releasing console with higher price with less power than PS4.

I refuse to talk further on the price of the DVD player unless you show the price of either drive to be installed by gaming companies. Sony were able to use it and not price PS2 outside of GC price bracket and I already showed you that even though Bluray drive (which was much much more expensive than DVD drive) costed no more than 1/6 of the price of a BR player of the time, so I can't say that because there were BR players selling for over 1k that the drive costed 1k.

What are your evidences for not fitting? You were already shown that they were able to fit RE2 with all it's cutscenes on N64 and it took 2 CDs on PS1.

You listed the cartridge as their big fail, but insist on giving then a concession and refuses to recognize their bad relationship with developers from NES torwards today.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Worst buisness decisions ever have to go to Sony and Nintendo on the Vita and the 3DS. These should both have been gaming phones as well as handhelds. The end of the dedicated handheld was already written on the wall, but the smartphone market was not settled yet.

At this point both have a major up hill battle to ever become relevant in the space they created. This is extremely sad.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

I refuse to talk further on the price of the DVD player unless you show the price of either drive to be installed by gaming companies. Sony were able to use it and not price PS2 outside of GC price bracket and I already showed you that even though Bluray drive (which was much much more expensive than DVD drive) costed no more than 1/6 of the price of a BR player of the time, so I can't say that because there were BR players selling for over 1k that the drive costed 1k.

What are your evidences for not fitting? You were already shown that they were able to fit RE2 with all it's cutscenes on N64 and it took 2 CDs on PS1.

You listed the cartridge as their big fail, but insist on giving then a concession and refuses to recognize their bad relationship with developers from NES torwards today.

OK, you refuse to talk, but some clear facts: back than DVD player like that in PS2 had pretty high price, PS2 definitely had much higher price because of full DVD player, GC almost whole life span had around 100$ cheaper price than PS2, definitely mini dvd that plays only GC games had much less price than full DVD player that played almost every media, and that affected on lower price of GC. Not to mentione that PS2 also like PS3 sold at loose, while GC was profatible even with $100 price.

You could fit some of PS1 games on N64, but not only developers would need to cut lots a thing from PS1 version of games but scaling some PS1 game from few hundreds MB to only 64MB was very complicated, expensive and requires lots a time, so huge majority of devolpers refues to do that becuse they thought it wasnt profitable. So like I wrote, reason why N64 had bad 3rd party suport and actualy is Nintendo console with smallest number of relased games (ask yourself why that is case when N64 isnt nearly worst selling Nintendo console), is very obvious very small size of N64 catriidges (max 64MB) for 3rd partys that were relased games on CD.

Its important to have good 3rd party suport, espacily today when 3rd parties are stronger than ever before, so its important to have also good 3rd party relationship, but not great 3rd party relationship didnt prevent Wii to become best selling Nintendo console ever, and thats why I didnt mentione bad relationship with developers like one of worst Nintendo marketing/business decisions.

KBG29 said:
Worst buisness decisions ever have to go to Sony and Nintendo on the Vita and the 3DS. These should both have been gaming phones as well as handhelds. The end of the dedicated handheld was already written on the wall, but the smartphone market was not settled yet.

At this point both have a major up hill battle to ever become relevant in the space they created. This is extremely sad.

Sony tried Playstation Phones with no luck, but that could be because of implementation

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

OK, you refuse to talk, but some clear facts: back than DVD player like that in PS2 had pretty high price, PS2 definitely had much higher price because of full DVD player, GC almost whole life span had around 100$ cheaper price than PS2, definitely mini dvd that plays only GC games had much less price than full DVD player that played almost every media, and that affected on lower price of GC.

You could fit some of PS1 games on N64, but not only developers would need to cut lots a thing from PS1 version of games but scaling some PS1 game from few hundreds MB to only 64MB was very complicated, expensive and requires lots a time, so huge majority of devolpers refues to do that becuse they thought it wasnt profitable. So like I wrote, reason why N64 had bad 3rd party suport and actualy is Nintendo console with smallest number of relased games (ask yourself why that is case when N64 isnt nearly worst selling Nintendo console), is very obvious very small size of N64 catriidges (max 64MB) for 3rd partys that were relased games on CD.

Its important to have good 3rd party suport, espacily today when 3rd parties are stronger than ever before, so its important to have also good 3rd party relationship, but not great 3rd party relationship didnt prevent Wii to become best selling Nintendo console ever, and thats why I didnt mentione bad relationship with developers like one of worst Nintendo marketing/business decisions.

I refuse because you have 0 evidence... you are giving conjectures. GC was always cheaper than PS2 because Nintendo was trying to sell it against a market leader with very strong grip on the market. And the drive wasn't 100,00 I'm sure.

Yes it wouldn't be easy to fit. But RE2 with 2 CDs fitting on one N64 cartridge is proof enough that it was doable. It just wasn't cost effective because sales weren't there to be captured.

Wii even though sold more than PS360 had very bad SW sales overall and only sold 1st party. And being Wii the only case of a console that sold a lot even with negible 3rd party support (and not to gamers in general, as you can see the plummet on WiiU) isn't evidence that you can succeed with no multiplats so it can't be taken of their worse decisions.

DonFerrari said:
KBG29 said:

Sony tried Playstation Phones with no luck, but that could be because of implementation

Miyamotoo said:

OK, you refuse to talk, but some clear facts: back than DVD player like that in PS2 had pretty high price, PS2 definitely had much higher price because of full DVD player, GC almost whole life span had around 100$ cheaper price than PS2, definitely mini dvd that plays only GC games had much less price than full DVD player that played almost every media, and that affected on lower price of GC.

I refuse because you have 0 evidence... you are giving conjectures. GC was always cheaper than PS2 because Nintendo was trying to sell it against a market leader with very strong grip on the market. And the drive wasn't 100,00 I'm sure.

Yes it wouldn't be easy to fit. But RE2 with 2 CDs fitting on one N64 cartridge is proof enough that it was doable. It just wasn't cost effective because sales weren't there to be captured.

Wii even though sold more than PS360 had very bad SW sales overall and only sold 1st party. And being Wii the only case of a console that sold a lot even with negible 3rd party support (and not to gamers in general, as you can see the plummet on WiiU) isn't evidence that you can succeed with no multiplats so it can't be taken of their worse decisions.

Nintendo sold much stronger GC with profit with lower price of $100 than PS2 that actualy was sold with loose. Like I wrote, I remember back then DVD player prety high price and with PS2 you had console with built in DVD playyer, that definatly had huge imapact on PS2 price, very posible for around $100.

Yes RE2 fit, and it was nightmare for devolpers, why is RE2 basicly only stronger PS1 game that ended on N64!? Becuse it wasn't profitable, it was very complicated, expensive and requires lots a time becuse very small size of cartridges, not beacuse N64 sales. You totally ignoring fact that GC had around 50% worse sales than N64 while GC had much better 3rd party support!? Like I wrote, why N64 is Nintendo console with smallest number of released games ever when isn't nearly worst selling Nintendo console!? It's very obvious that is because of very limited size of N64 cartridges, but you can keep deny that.

Sry, but in what world 915m sold copies of SW on 101m HW is bad, that is attach rate of 9, do you realise that only GC had better attach rate with 9.5!?

Wii is clear fact that Nintendo could succeed even with bad developer relationships, offcourse that is better that Nintendo have great developers relationships, but this is a clear fact.

Probably Sega with the whole 32X/SCD fiasco...

SpokenTruth said:
Miyamotoo said:

"Some games definatly could fit even on 64MB but pure fact is that huge majority couldnt fit".

RE2 was one of the bigger games on the system.  Certainly bigger than the majority.  Therefore, the majority could fit.   The N64 had some incredible compression schemes. 

That said, cost of individual cartridges against optical media was a far bigger factor.

RE2 is only bigger PS1 game that was ported to N64, and there is good reason for that.