By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming's worst marketing/business decisions?

Honestly, I wonder why the three (two?) of you are still arguing. No matter what you say, the other person will not be convinced. This whole thing is pointless and you're sounding like a broken record.

Press ctrl + F and see how many times the word "fact" has been posted. It wasn't misused (thankfully), but it goes to show how misleading facts can be, when you argue about different things to defend your favourite company or vice versa. It is clear where you all stand. It is also abundantly clear you will not come to an agreement.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

So you insist on including HH on a conversation that have nothing to do with it just to make it seems better and also do a false cause/effect correlation to justify the lack of CD? Ok them keep going.

Even Nintendo had some games where they needed 2 discs, so they clearly choose the mini-DVD for dumb reasons, worst, it was even more expensive to produce than a common DVD.

And they are doing the same mistakes... the biggest one is their bad relationship with 3rd parties on consoles, and that is still in place. You said GC was the most 3rd party oriented console Nintendo made... but was it from what they though 3rd party wanted or what they said they wanted? I would bet more on the first. And when they assumed they made the mistake. That is the Nintendo way, to dictate what others may want

Why I would not include HH, I include them because last gen Nintendo with its HW has most successful generation in history of gaming, you can't clearly do that if "all demons are still haunting them till this day".

You realise that back then DVD player wasn't cheap eat all, you also realise that having classic DVD disc would make Nintendo pay fees!? GC had very afordible price, one of reasons for that is not having DVD player.

I gave you bigest their mistake in history of their consoles, N64 cartridge format that can hold only 8-64MB compared to 700NB of CD, and guess what, they did not make same mistake with Wii U, so "all demons are still haunting them till this day" clearly isnt true, and thats whole my point.

Because no one is discussing HH (only you) at no point Nintendo dominance over HH was questioned.

Not being cheap at release doesn't mean it won't be cheap after. That is the basics of mass production. And the fee for the disc itself is minimal, how much of the Wii profits were eaten by DVD fees?

Nope, the biggest reason for GC cheap price was Nintendo desperation to sell. Please show me how much cheaper was the GC mini disc drive compared to a standard one (like PS2 or any other DVD player), because being non-standard I would guess that it costed about the same (even more when it wasn't all that different so the higher price would be only due to scale, but not down for using cheaper technology)

You think that their biggest mistake (it's up there), but bad relationship is even worse and that is the one that never left. Or do you think the bad relationship with Squaresoft took out FF VII from them (besides no CD for their cutscenes) and all the other third parties alike, and that even today Nintendo doesn't have any special relationship or even acceptable one with most developers and that is quite possibly the biggest reason for the low support? Or do you want to put Nintendo fanbase as their biggest mistake because they are the folks that doesn't buy the products available and them the devs have no interest to support?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
naruball said:
Honestly, I wonder why the three (two?) of you are still arguing. No matter what you say, the other person will not be convinced. This whole thing is pointless and you're sounding like a broken record.

Press ctrl + F and see how many times the word "fact" has been posted. It wasn't misused (thankfully), but it goes to show how misleading facts can be, when you argue about different things to defend your favourite company or vice versa. It is clear where you all stand. It is also abundantly clear you will not come to an agreement.

Are you a keyboard surfer?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

Why I would not include HH, I include them because last gen Nintendo with its HW has most successful generation in history of gaming, you can't clearly do that if "all demons are still haunting them till this day".

You realise that back then DVD player wasn't cheap eat all, you also realise that having classic DVD disc would make Nintendo pay fees!? GC had very afordible price, one of reasons for that is not having DVD player.

I gave you bigest their mistake in history of their consoles, N64 cartridge format that can hold only 8-64MB compared to 700NB of CD, and guess what, they did not make same mistake with Wii U, so "all demons are still haunting them till this day" clearly isnt true, and thats whole my point.

Because no one is discussing HH (only you) at no point Nintendo dominance over HH was questioned.

Not being cheap at release doesn't mean it won't be cheap after. That is the basics of mass production. And the fee for the disc itself is minimal, how much of the Wii profits were eaten by DVD fees?

Nope, the biggest reason for GC cheap price was Nintendo desperation to sell. Please show me how much cheaper was the GC mini disc drive compared to a standard one (like PS2 or any other DVD player), because being non-standard I would guess that it costed about the same (even more when it wasn't all that different so the higher price would be only due to scale, but not down for using cheaper technology)

You think that their biggest mistake (it's up there), but bad relationship is even worse and that is the one that never left. Or do you think the bad relationship with Squaresoft took out FF VII from them (besides no CD for their cutscenes) and all the other third parties alike, and that even today Nintendo doesn't have any special relationship or even acceptable one with most developers and that is quite possibly the biggest reason for the low support? Or do you want to put Nintendo fanbase as their biggest mistake because they are the folks that doesn't buy the products available and them the devs have no interest to support?

So what!? l mentione most successful generation in history of gaming, you can't clearly do that if "all demons are still haunting them till this day".

Price with DVD player for GC would be higher in any case, on launch or at end of life, GC at end have price of $100. Wii didnt had classic DVD player and you can't really compare price of DVD in last generation and in generation before that.

Price of classic DVD player (PS2 basically had that) was definitely much higher than GC mini DVD player in that gen, lotsa people were buying PS2 use it like DVD player also.

Nintendo had bad relationship with 3rd party even with SNES and NES, buy both consoles were best selling in its genes. Like I wrote,bigest their mistake in history of their consoles was N64 cartridge format that could hold only 8-64MB compared to 700NB of CD, and guess what, they did not make same mistake with Wii U, so "all demons are still haunting them till this day" stament clearly isnt true, and thats whole my point.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

So what!? l mentione most successful generation in history of gaming, you can't clearly do that if "all demons are still haunting them till this day".

Price with DVD player for GC would be higher in any case, on launch or at end of life, GC at end have price of $100. Wii didnt had classic DVD player and you can't really compare price of DVD in last generation and in generation before that.

Price of classic DVD player (PS2 basically had that) was definitely much higher than GC mini DVD player in that gen, lotsa people were buying PS2 use it like DVD player also.

Nintendo had bad relationship with 3rd party even with SNES and NES, buy both consoles were best selling in its genes. Like I wrote,bigest their mistake in history of their consoles was N64 cartridge format that could hold only 8-64MB compared to 700NB of CD, and guess what, they did not make same mistake with Wii U, so "all demons are still haunting them till this day" stament clearly isnt true, and thats whole my point.

Ok. So since this is the worse generation ever for Nintendo is that on the demons of the past or you will put them all on the mistakes of the present, that they are seemingly wanting to repeat?

What evidence do you have to say a standard piece of equipment would be much higher than the non-standard that performs the basic same function but with a different size? PS2 was under 100,00 as well and the price tag doesn't determine the cost to manufacture with clarity. I'm not comparing the price of DVD of gen 7 to gen 8, but since GC and PS2 were in the same gen I can compare both.

What mini DVD player was available at the market to purchase? Bluray players at PS3 launch were more expensive than PS3, does that mean that the bluray drive on PS3 was more expensive than the whole machine?

They had bad relationship, but had no real alternative in SNES or NES, as soon as that ended being the case they dropped nintendo really hard and haven't come back yet.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

Ok. So since this is the worse generation ever for Nintendo is that on the demons of the past or you will put them all on the mistakes of the present, that they are seemingly wanting to repeat?

What evidence do you have to say a standard piece of equipment would be much higher than the non-standard that performs the basic same function but with a different size? PS2 was under 100,00 as well and the price tag doesn't determine the cost to manufacture with clarity. I'm not comparing the price of DVD of gen 7 to gen 8, but since GC and PS2 were in the same gen I can compare both.

What mini DVD player was available at the market to purchase? Bluray players at PS3 launch were more expensive than PS3, does that mean that the bluray drive on PS3 was more expensive than the whole machine?

They had bad relationship, but had no real alternative in SNES or NES, as soon as that ended being the case they dropped nintendo really hard and haven't come back yet.

No, beacuse they have some of those mistakes last gen too, this gen they made more mistake than ever before with Wii U, blooady mess, but doesnt have anuthing with "demons from the past".

Because you can't use DVD on device like that, because you need to pay fees for DVD player and DVD discs!? I remmeber back than DVD players were pretty expansive, and we know Nintendo made profit even with $100 GC, so defiantly one of reasons why Nintendo went with mini DVD is price point of console.

We know that blueray player of PS3 rased price of console to $600 and even with that price Sony made loss.

Regardless 3rd party relationship, N64 would had much better support if N64 had CD, how you can fit game of 700MB to cartridge of max size of 64MB, that is reason why N64 basically didn't had any 3rd party support not bad relationship.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

No, beacuse they have some of those mistakes last gen too, this gen they made more mistake than ever before with Wii U, blooady mess, but doesnt have anuthing with "demons from the past".

Because you can't use DVD on device like that, because you need to pay fees for DVD player and DVD discs!? I remmeber back than DVD players were pretty expansive, and we know Nintendo made profit even with $100 GC, so defiantly one of reasons why Nintendo went with mini DVD is price point of console.

We know that blueray player of PS3 rased price of console to $600 and even with that price Sony made loss.

Regardless 3rd party relationship, N64 would had much better support if N64 had CD, how you can fit game of 700MB to cartridge of max size of 64MB, that is reason why N64 basically didn't had any 3rd party support not bad relationship.

Man.... your cause and consequence relation are all messed... but let's keep going.

if you assume they had made those mistakes before (the ones on WiiU) and new ones so some of their demons for the past still haunt them.

The fact that you can't read a DVD movie on it doesn't make the drive itself much cheaper I suppose (and you are just throwing a conjecture, not an evidence) and I told you that the royalties weren't big so I'll give you the very high royalty prices

DVD-ROM Drive The greater of:
(ⅰ) 4% of the net selling price (up to a maximum of US$8.00 per drive) or
(ⅱ) US$4.00 per drive;
US$2.00 per drive on or after the effective date of the New DVD6C License Agreement
DVD-ROM Disc US$0.075 per disc;
US$0.065 per disc on or after January 1, 2002;
US$0.05 per disc on or after January 1, 2004;
US$0.04 per disc on or after the effective date of the New DVD6C License Agreement;

US$0.03 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after January 1, 2015, US$0.0275 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after January 1, 2016, and US$0.0225 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after January 1, 2017, for those licensees with no overdue or incorrect royalty reports or overdue or underpaid royalties (including back royalties) and otherwise in compliance with the New DVD6C License Agreement:
(ⅰ) as of the due date for payment of royalties for the immediately preceding semi-annual reporting period, or
(ⅱ) to qualify for the reduced rate for the first half of 2016, as of, and only if the New DVD6C License Agreement has been entered into on or before, July 31, 2016,

provided that a licensee who otherwise qualifies for the US$0.0275, and/or US0.0225 per disc rate shall be subject to the US$0.04 per disc rate for any period for which an audit has revealed an underpayment of royalties of greater than 3%.

So nope, that wasn't a high fee... and that is the fee on the price of the drive not the whole assembly that contained it. So if Nintendo would pay 30 usd for the drive on the launch (let's assume) it would mean 1,2 usd on royalty for the drive and less than 10 cent fee on the disc itself (that would sell for 60 usd anyway).

And Sony sold PS2 for 100 and made profit over it, and probably could sell for 50 we may never know (PS1 was sold for 50). DVD players were expensive, more expensive than PS2, but that doesn't necessarily means the drive itself were a lot more expensive than Mini DVD, and until you bring evidence it isn't a possible point to make. Unless you think 1-4 usd royalty on launch was that much important to make the mess of Mini DVD.

Yes, PS3 costed 800 to manufacture... but the real cost of the bluray drive isn't determined but estimative is around 100,00 on launch (yes very high, but not even close to being the sole responsible for the high price... and nowhere close to the more than 600 a bluray player costed at the time).

I couldn't find very fast the cost of the drives itself... but considering Gamecube launch on 2001 (over 18 months later than PS2) and DVDs already being sold on Japan since 1996 the drive wasn't as expensive as you may think, and Nintendo certainly had room for that analysis. And you yourself gave the main reason being piracy and not cost at first, so why did you change it?

You can keep telling yourself that N64 had bad support only because of the cartridge (it certainly was a reason), but considering the good games (including Tony Hawks) that were running on N64 a lot of games were possible on the cartridge. How good of a support did GC really get besides launch? Will you say the reasons for low support changed gen to gen and Nintendo were fixing one mistake to them discover another? Because since N64 their 3rd party support is laughable.

Signalstar said:
Nintendo stabbing Sony in the back to partner with Phillips without even telling Sony has to be all time number 1.

What were the exact details of this?

Signalstar said:

When you create your biggest competitor who then surpasses you...

Funny thing is I think Nintendo is in better corporate health currently than Sony is.

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

Man.... your cause and consequence relation are all messed... but let's keep going.

if you assume they had made those mistakes before (the ones on WiiU) and new ones so some of their demons for the past still haunt them.

The fact that you can't read a DVD movie on it doesn't make the drive itself much cheaper I suppose (and you are just throwing a conjecture, not an evidence) and I told you that the royalties weren't big so I'll give you the very high royalty prices

DVD-ROM Drive The greater of:
(ⅰ) 4% of the net selling price (up to a maximum of US$8.00 per drive) or
(ⅱ) US$4.00 per drive;
US$2.00 per drive on or after the effective date of the New DVD6C License Agreement
DVD-ROM Disc US$0.075 per disc;
US$0.065 per disc on or after January 1, 2002;
US$0.05 per disc on or after January 1, 2004;
US$0.04 per disc on or after the effective date of the New DVD6C License Agreement;

US$0.03 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after January 1, 2015, US$0.0275 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after January 1, 2016, and US$0.0225 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after January 1, 2017, for those licensees with no overdue or incorrect royalty reports or overdue or underpaid royalties (including back royalties) and otherwise in compliance with the New DVD6C License Agreement:
(ⅰ) as of the due date for payment of royalties for the immediately preceding semi-annual reporting period, or
(ⅱ) to qualify for the reduced rate for the first half of 2016, as of, and only if the New DVD6C License Agreement has been entered into on or before, July 31, 2016,

provided that a licensee who otherwise qualifies for the US$0.0275, and/or US0.0225 per disc rate shall be subject to the US$0.04 per disc rate for any period for which an audit has revealed an underpayment of royalties of greater than 3%.

So nope, that wasn't a high fee... and that is the fee on the price of the drive not the whole assembly that contained it. So if Nintendo would pay 30 usd for the drive on the launch (let's assume) it would mean 1,2 usd on royalty for the drive and less than 10 cent fee on the disc itself (that would sell for 60 usd anyway).

And Sony sold PS2 for 100 and made profit over it, and probably could sell for 50 we may never know (PS1 was sold for 50). DVD players were expensive, more expensive than PS2, but that doesn't necessarily means the drive itself were a lot more expensive than Mini DVD, and until you bring evidence it isn't a possible point to make. Unless you think 1-4 usd royalty on launch was that much important to make the mess of Mini DVD.

Yes, PS3 costed 800 to manufacture... but the real cost of the bluray drive isn't determined but estimative is around 100,00 on launch (yes very high, but not even close to being the sole responsible for the high price... and nowhere close to the more than 600 a bluray player costed at the time).

I couldn't find very fast the cost of the drives itself... but considering Gamecube launch on 2001 (over 18 months later than PS2) and DVDs already being sold on Japan since 1996 the drive wasn't as expensive as you may think, and Nintendo certainly had room for that analysis. And you yourself gave the main reason being piracy and not cost at first, so why did you change it?

You can keep telling yourself that N64 had bad support only because of the cartridge (it certainly was a reason), but considering the good games (including Tony Hawks) that were running on N64 a lot of games were possible on the cartridge. How good of a support did GC really get besides launch? Will you say the reasons for low support changed gen to gen and Nintendo were fixing one mistake to them discover another? Because since N64 their 3rd party support is laughable.

Again, we can say that one of their biggest mistake was N64 catridge format (size of games), Wii U dont have that problem so we cant say "all nintendos demons are still haunting them till this day", beacuse that clearly inst ture, but you can keep deny that pure fact. And again, how you can have just last gen most succfule generation in history of gaming if "demons of past still hunting you".

What is a price of fully capable DVD player that PS2 used at beginning of that gen!?

You lying youself if you think a lot of PS1 games were possible on cartridge that have max size of 64MB. Huge majority of PS1 games had size of several hundreds MB, how can you fit those size if you cartridge with max size of 64MB!? Some games definatly could fit even on 64MB but pure fact is that huge majority couldnt fit. Also GC had far more better 3rd party support the N64 had despite N64 was selling better, also pure fact. Actualy N64 is Nintendo console with smalest number of relased game, why do think that is a case!?

IamAwsome said:

I actually really like this commercial.