By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry takes a closer look at Breath of the Wild

DonFerrari said:
teigaga said:

No one game in particular, but looking at that DF footage, If this was a PS4 game I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Its not cutting edge but it also doesn't look last gen to me either. 

It certainly wouldn't draw your attention

No but neither does Overwatch or No Mans Land (in the graphics department). 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Hynad said:

What is your evidence that such a game would run on the PS360?

Visually, a lot of things would have to be scaled back to be possible on the PS360. With all the physics in place, all the dynamic elements, and the polygon count, I really don't see a game doing all this at once for the PS360. 

Considering we had Skyrim, GTA V on PS360 I see little reason to say Zelda wouldn't be possible on then. And the bigger evidence that it would be possible is that WiiU isn't really stronger than any of them.

Wii U is stronger than PS3/360. Not by leaps and bounds, not even by much, but it is stronger. It has twice as much RAM and a more modern GPU. To get Breath of the Wild running on PS360, you would have to significantly reduce its memory footprint and likely reduce/simplify some of its effects. Sure, you could get a downgraded version running on PS3/360, but you could get a downgraded version of Uncharted 4 on PS3/360 if you made enough concessions.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering we had Skyrim, GTA V on PS360 I see little reason to say Zelda wouldn't be possible on then. And the bigger evidence that it would be possible is that WiiU isn't really stronger than any of them.

Wii U is stronger than PS3/360. Not by leaps and bounds, not even by much, but it is stronger. It has twice as much RAM and a more modern GPU. To get Breath of the Wild running on PS360, you would have to significantly reduce its memory footprint and likely reduce/simplify some of its effects. Sure, you could get a downgraded version running on PS3/360, but you could get a downgraded version of Uncharted 4 on PS3/360 if you made enough concessions.

Skyrim and GTAV one PS3 and 360 aren't in the same ballpark as BOTW. It would have to run at sub 720p, with maybe a low setting FXAA if at all, much less individual grass strands, much more pop-ins/weaker draw distance, and who knows what would happen to the physics. xD Skyrim and GTA V both didn't have physics as intricate as what's found in BOTW, and that is pretty CPU intensive. Let's not mention how all of it would perform. Skyrim wasn't much of an example for that, and GTA V struggles quite a bit at times, while Nintendo games are always great performers. 

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

It's possible some downgrades would be necessary, but I would bet that if in the hands of SSM or ND they would be able to produce basically the same product with those differences not being very perceptible. And a lot of games were sub 720p on PS360 so it wouldn't look out of place.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

It's possible some downgrades would be necessary, but I would bet that if in the hands of SSM or ND they would be able to produce basically the same product with those differences not being very perceptible. And a lot of games were sub 720p on PS360 so it wouldn't look out of place.

Eh, i kind of doubt it. ND in particular are incredibly adept at getting a lot out of a limited pool of resources (both on the tech and art front), but if BotW is pushing the WiiU close to its limits (which i'd say is a reasonable assumption), then exactly replicating BotW on the PS3 and 360 just wouldn't happen. Certainly not in a justifiable about of time, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, i'm pretty underwhelmed by BotW on the tech front (i think i'm just too used to seeing much better), but relative to the WiiU's hardware it's some pretty high-end stuff.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

Skyrim and GTAV one PS3 and 360 aren't in the same ballpark as BOTW. It would have to run at sub 720p, with maybe a low setting FXAA if at all, much less individual grass strands, much more pop-ins/weaker draw distance, and who knows what would happen to the physics. xD Skyrim and GTA V both didn't have physics as intricate as what's found in BOTW, and that is pretty CPU intensive. Let's not mention how all of it would perform. Skyrim wasn't much of an example for that, and GTA V struggles quite a bit at times, while Nintendo games are always great performers. 

If there's anything from BoTW that the PS360 wouldn't struggle with, it would be the physics. Especially the PS3 has a powerful as fuck CPU. iirc, it beats the PS4 and XBO's CPUs. Only problem is that it's hard to optimize for. GTAV and Skyrim are bad examples, because they are multiplats, and thus haven't gotten the same attention and optimization as BoTW has gotten by virtue of being an exclusive. (I mean, Bethesda is notoriously shit at optimization, the early PS3 version is infamous for it).

I doubt the PS360 could run BoTW with the exact same visual fidelity as the Wii U, but I also doubt they would have to reduce visual fidelity as much as you make it seem here. It would probably be plagued by pop-in though, because the one place where the Wii U is substantially ahead of the PS360 is in the amount (and perhaps speed?) of the RAM.

Zekkyou said:
DonFerrari said:

Eh, i kind of doubt it. ND in particular are incredibly adept at getting a lot out of a limited pool of resources (both on the tech and art front), but if BotW is pushing the WiiU close to its limits (which i'd say is a reasonable assumption), then exactly replicating BotW on the PS3 and 360 just wouldn't happen. Certainly not in a justifiable about of time, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, i'm pretty underwhelmed by BotW on the tech front (i think i'm just too used to seeing much better), but relative to the WiiU's hardware it's some pretty high-end stuff.

I don't doubt it's very highly demanding for WiiU and would be for PS360 as well... what I'm saying on the ND is that they would probably remodel and cut in a way that it wouldn't be the "immense downgrade" curl-6, hynad and goodnightmoon are claiming. Sure it's quite possible there would be a downgrade in some areas and a possibility of better things in other, but being ND I doubt we would really have a subpar product (or if the team doing Zelda were also expert on PS360 HW).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Teeqoz said:
Hynad said:

If there's anything from BoTW that the PS360 wouldn't struggle with, it would be the physics. Especially the PS3 has a powerful as fuck CPU. iirc, it beats the PS4 and XBO's CPUs. Only problem is that it's hard to optimize for. GTAV and Skyrim are bad examples, because they are multiplats, and thus haven't gotten the same attention and optimization as BoTW has gotten by virtue of being an exclusive. (I mean, Bethesda is notoriously shit at optimization, the early PS3 version is infamous for it).

I doubt the PS360 could run BoTW with the exact same visual fidelity as the Wii U, but I also doubt they would have to reduce visual fidelity as much as you make it seem here. It would probably be plagued by pop-in though, because the one place where the Wii U is substantially ahead of the PS360 is in the amount (and perhaps speed?) of the RAM.

I applaud you

DonFerrari said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Because that's not true.

What isn't true? No game close to what Zelda have would run on PS360? What is your evidence for that?

Because I always like to throw gasoline on fire. Both the last of us and god of war 3 managed to run on PS3. Which still look great visually today, as does ratchet and clank a crack in time.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

It looks good... for a Wii U game, but isn't even near Horizon. The Wii U is an outdated console and with all the magic of Nintendo left especially the artistic department they made a game which looks decent by today's standards defined by X1/PS4 and great for Wii u is standards. Would love to see a comparison between Ratchet and Clank a crack in time's open worlds and those of Zelda Breath of the wild wind, being both cartoony.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar