By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's First Party Studios Are Going To Be Very Predictable

New IP, please Sucker Punch.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
I don't see how you proved them to be predictable...all you really did was list already announced games (many of which were a surprise when they were announced) and made assumptions about there future output, some of which will likely not come true.

MLB is an annual franchise

Cory Barlog has all but confirmed, that God of War will be the first of many set in Norse mythology.

Guerrilla Games has gone on record saying, that they would love for Horizon to be their next big franchise.

Polyphony Digital doesn't work on anything other than Gran Turismo

And of course, depending how well Days Gone does sales wise, will determine whether we get a sequel or not.

So... we have no idea what SIEJ is working on (multiple prokects at that) after 2016, Don't know what Sucker Punch is doing, don't know what Guerilla Cambridge is doing after 2016, don't know what SIE London is doing after 2016, and we have absolutely zero clue what the two bottom ones are doing, andwe have guesses as to what ND, SM and Guerilla are doing when they wrap up their current projects.

What word should I use to describe this situation? Ahh yes, predictable.

ktay95 said:
LordLichtenstein said:

Not really were I was trying to go, but okay.

I meant from this date.

So continuing to support successful new IPs for the forseeable future?? Isnt this every publisher ever??
Still getting Mass Effect, check
Still getting CoD, check
Still getting Battlefield, check
Still getting Halo, check
Still getting AssCreed, check
Still getting Zelda, slowly but check
etc.

This is just how the industry works. If it sells then why not make more money from it with a sequel

I know, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, that is not the point I am trying to make here :)

I am simply stating, that we probably shouldn't expect another new IP this generation from Sony's first party studios, with the exception of SIE Japan Studio and Sucker Punch Productions .. Maybe. :)

LordLichtenstein said:
ktay95 said:

So continuing to support successful new IPs for the forseeable future?? Isnt this every publisher ever??
Still getting Mass Effect, check
Still getting CoD, check
Still getting Battlefield, check
Still getting Halo, check
Still getting AssCreed, check
Still getting Zelda, slowly but check
etc.

This is just how the industry works. If it sells then why not make more money from it with a sequel

I know, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, that is not the point I am trying to make here :)

I am simply stating, that we probably shouldn't expect another new IP this generation from Sony's first party studios, with the exception of SIE Japan Studio and Sucker Punch Productions .. Maybe. :)

That's a joke right?

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
So based on this you are saying that Sony commits to putting out new IPs every gen and then capitalizes on them when they are successful? Interesting, I never knew that.

Indeed... what a silly thing to do for a profit oriented company. IMO every one of their studios should focus on making spiritual successors of Murasaki Baby!

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Teeqoz said:
So... we have no idea what SIEJ is working on (multiple prokects at that) after 2016, Don't know what Sucker Punch is doing, don't know what Guerilla Cambridge is doing after 2016, don't know what SIE London is doing after 2016, and we have absolutely zero clue what the two bottom ones are doing, andwe have guesses as to what ND, SM and Guerilla are doing when they wrap up their current projects.

What word should I use to describe this situation? Ahh yes, predictable.

Naughty Dog, SIE Santa Monica Studio and Guerrilla Games are certain to work on those projects listed in the OP, but feel free to call them guesses.

I guess EA won't release another FIFA next year?

betacon said:
LordLichtenstein said:

I am simply stating, that we probably shouldn't expect another new AAA IP this generation from Sony's first party studios, with the exception of SIE Japan Studio and Sucker Punch Productions .. Maybe. :)

That's a joke right?

No. :)

LordLichtenstein said:
I am feeling very misunderstood right now.

What I am trying to say is, that we likely already know what they will be up to in the next 4-5 years.

lol 

hunter_alien said:
Neodegenerate said:
So based on this you are saying that Sony commits to putting out new IPs every gen and then capitalizes on them when they are successful? Interesting, I never knew that.

Indeed... what a silly thing to do for a profit oriented company. IMO every one of their studios should focus on making spiritual successors of Murasaki Baby!

Screw that, I want them to halt all other projects and collaborate on a sequel to that Lair game or whatever it was where you had to use the six-axis thing on the DS3 to fly a dragon on PS3.  With every resource Sony has I am sure they could make that a masterpiece.