By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Opinion: <---- This needs to stop.

sethnintendo said:
Arlo said:
But when people don't explicitly say "opinion" then everyone gets on their case about how they're jerks for stating it like it's a fact instead of their opinion.

Opinions are facts for the person stating them.

That's really not true.  Facts are by definition objective and undisputed.  I'm sure there are plenty of words for what peoples' opinion are to them (truths? realities? something like that), but "fact" isn't one of them.

Around the Network
Arlo said:
But when people don't explicitly say "opinion" then everyone gets on their case about how they're jerks for stating it like it's a fact instead of their opinion.

You've just discovered the whole reason my sig exists.

Context should be the only identifier of an opinion. Saying "in my opinion" after an opinion is redundant.

Arlo said:
sethnintendo said:

Opinions are facts for the person stating them.

That's really not true.  Facts are by definition objective and undisputed.  I'm sure there are plenty of words for what peoples' opinion are to them (truths? realities? something like that), but "fact" isn't one of them.

Also, many people hold an opinion while knowing they could be wrong. Like when they have limited knowledge on the matter, or when based not on evidence but probability. Meaning that instead of thinking that your opinion is definitive you simply think it has good chances. Also when reasoning by your own logic, sometimes you can acknowledge you could be wrong, but most people see their own logic as infallible. Take the OP for example, he thinks recognizing opinions is obvious but that doesn't work for everyone, I think.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Normchacho said:

We know when something is just an opinion. If you're saying you like it don't like a particular game, then that's obviously your opinion. You don't need to explicitly tell us.

You know... I know.... but there are people who get mad if you don't say "imo", "imho", etc. :(

You can't say "this is rubbish" without somone asking "what? do you have any evidence? is it your opinion, right?" of course it is lol

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

sethnintendo said:
Jranation said:
I thought when people have an opinion based on a game they would post it in either those Nintendo,MS or Playstation official threads or those official game threads. But I guess they want their opinion to show it to everyone not just in those threads. Which is fine. I don't think it breaks any rules.

You are likely to get banned if you go into a game thread and starting bashing that game.  It is best to make a shit talking thread which at worst case scenario gets locked unless you are some crazy repeat offender.

No i mean, they can write "imo" in those threads and people will think that they are not bashing the game. Its just that they didn't like the game.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Thread titles don't have "Opinion" in them to signal that it is an opinion inside, rather it's just a new method to get away with blatant trolling. Which means that the mod team has to catch on and crack down on these threads. Not just by locking them (which has also taken way too long), but bans need to be handed out as well. The word "Opinion" is in thread titles because people full well know what they are doing, so there's no question about the intent. Lately the mod team has opted for the benefit of the doubt way too often; that doesn't only hold true for "Opinion" threads.

And you wonder why you haven't made the mod team. You can't ban people for putting "opinion" in their title nor does it mean that they're trolling.

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Incorrect. There are plenty of things that are fact that people think are opinion and vice versa. You have to clarify.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

sethnintendo said:
pokoko said:

Yeah, it just leads to a domino effect.

Reminds me of a story I once read by someone who moved to Japan.  They said stressed out salarymen would passive aggressively bump into people on the street, then those people would passive aggressively bump into other people on the street.  That's what this forum is like sometimes.  Someone intentionally bumps into a lot of people, hides behind the "opinion" shield, then some of those people go out looking for revenge by doing the same thing.

You guys just blew my mind.  I now realize how we are all just pawns in one giant system.  The only chance is if we all break free from the cycle.

The only chance to break free is to kill off the bad apples who do nothing but post contraversial threads and always love stirring the pot on a constant basis. There is always going to be a reaction to when someone starts to dance, the ebst way would be to not dance with them as it takes two to tango, but at the same time it's just as better if the one starting the dance didn't start it to begin with.

We are only pawns to the game we otherwise willingly play, take out the one playing you and everything resets.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

My opinion is that I agree with your opinion