By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Opinion: <---- This needs to stop.

pokoko said:

Yeah, it just leads to a domino effect.

Reminds me of a story I once read by someone who moved to Japan.  They said stressed out salarymen would passive aggressively bump into people on the street, then those people would passive aggressively bump into other people on the street.  That's what this forum is like sometimes.  Someone intentionally bumps into a lot of people, hides behind the "opinion" shield, then some of those people go out looking for revenge by doing the same thing.

That's...how it goes for everything i've ever seen in life. Maybe I got unlucky with my surroundings and there are better places out there but i've never seen anyone who hasn't grown grumpy due to being kicked down constantly, I can't even imagine a situation where that "dominio effect" doesn't exist in real life

Fiction is my only solace :,<<

Around the Network
Normchacho said:

We know when something is just an opinion. If you're saying you like it don't like a particular game, then that's obviously your opinion. You don't need to explicitly tell us.

You'd be surprised how many people get reported or flamed on because they didn't say it's 'their own opinion' because some of the readers put their own tone on the post and make it sound more offensive in their own stupid heads.  But it's like just putting 'in my opinion' is like the quote that diffuses it all.  That's just how the internet works for some reason.

...this is all my opinion lol

I am not so sure because it seems most people consider their opinions facts.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

I disagree completely.

Saying "in my opinion" isn't to some how diffuse a hostile comment it can be to explain the reasoning behind it.

Many would say that the Vita is a failure of a console, sales wise it has not met expectations and as a portable version of the PS3 it was a failure in that it didn't get a yearly dose of AAA titles from Sony.

However in my opinion the Vita itself is anything but a failure.
You see in terms of the games which it does have it is an exceptional piece of hardware, any piece of software it has gotten thrown to it, it can handle very well with few exceptions (Borderlands 2, which is still a phenomenal port on a handheld console, but suffers at times in the fps) in terms of indie titles people often think indie and they turn off, thinking that the term means poor quality games, and not just a game made by an independent developer which is what it should mean. Minecraft... arguably the largest game in the world right now is(was) an indie title.
As a companion handheld to the PS4 it basically gives the console the major gimmick of the Wii-U without having to own a Wii-U, remote play on the Vita's lovely 5inch OLED screen just looks superb with titles like Street Fighter 5, Drive Club, Rocket League even giant games like Fallout 4 and The Witcher have now found themselves onto the Vita's screen utilizing a PS4 system.

Like I said, the above statement is the clarification of why if someone says, the Vita is a failure, I would happily say it wasn't, in my opinion. Because while I acknowledge area's where the console has not achieved the success Sony would have liked, for me, and my sexy opinion, the Console is as good as it gets.

I'm sure a lot of others do the same when people say things such as the Wii-U being a failure, it might be for the majority, but there are still people who have the system as their main source of gaming and enjoy the shit out of it, in their opinions the console didn't fail them in delivering what they expect, while at the same time, being a failure.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
I disagree completely.

Saying "in my opinion" isn't to some how diffuse a hostile comment it can be to explain the reasoning behind it.

Many would say that the Vita is a failure of a console, sales wise it has not met expectations and as a portable version of the PS3 it was a failure in that it didn't get a yearly dose of AAA titles from Sony.

You see in terms of the games which it does have it is an exceptional piece of hardware, any piece of software it has gotten thrown to it, it can handle very well with few exceptions (Borderlands 2, which is still a phenomenal port on a handheld console, but suffers at times in the fps) in terms of indie titles people often think indie and they turn off, thinking that the term means poor quality games, and not just a game made by an independent developer which is what it should mean. Minecraft... arguably the largest game in the world right now is(was) an indie title.
As a companion handheld to the PS4 it basically gives the console the major gimmick of the Wii-U without having to own a Wii-U, remote play on the Vita's lovely 5inch OLED screen just looks superb with titles like Street Fighter 5, Drive Club, Rocket League even giant games like Fallout 4 and The Witcher have now found themselves onto the Vita's screen utilizing a PS4 system.

Like I said, the above statement is the clarification of why if someone says, the Vita is a failure, I would happily say it wasn't, in my opinion. Because while I acknowledge area's where the console has not achieved the success Sony would have liked, for me, and my sexy opinion, the Console is as good as it gets.

I'm sure a lot of others do the same when people say things such as the Wii-U being a failure, it might be for the majority, but there are still people who have the system as their main source of gaming and enjoy the shit out of it, in their opinions the console didn't fail them in delivering what they expect, while at the same time, being a failure.

I agree with the spirit of your post, but I've found the two things are often mutually exclusive. Some people use the phrase "my opinion" so they don't have to provide reasoning.

Sometimes you'll "X is terrible, imo" or, recently, "Opinion: Xbox is a generation behind PlayStation" with zero justification - as if the word "opinion" magically frees someone from thought and responsibility.

I'd rather someone eschew the word "opinion" altogether and just lay out a convincing argument.

Around the Network

I agree with ya. It's redundant but somethings I add "in my opinion" because sometimes, people will take what I said as a statement of fact rather than it being just my opinion.

Many people on the internet seem to have problems discerning opinions, so stating that it was your opinion can make a big difference. For example:

"Normchacho is cool." - This statement could be seen, according to some people, as trying to state an opinion as fact.

"In my opinion Normchacho is cool." - By adding IMO you not only make things clear but, in a way, you are implying that this statement only works from your point of view and could be wrong.

(Note that implying a statement is an opinion could also be considered "slander" if it's understood that said statement is actually factual and not mere opinion).

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Ganoncrotch said:
I disagree completely.

I agree with the spirit of your post, but I've found the two things are often mutually exclusive. Some people use the phrase "my opinion" so they don't have to provide reasoning.

Sometimes you'll "X is terrible, imo" or, recently, "Opinion: Xbox is a generation behind PlayStation" with zero justification - as if the word "opinion" magically frees someone from thought and responsibility.

I'd rather someone eschew the word "opinion" altogether and just lay out a convincing argument.

Your post is wrong, in my opinion

^you mean shit like that? I agree, there is just nothing to work with when someone posts that kinda stuff, hard to deal with though, I guess if people refuse to give proper explanations or reasoning for the stuff they type, we should just ignore it and move on rather than trying to dig out an explanation from it for them. If ignored most of the time I find that trolls stop trolling because a lot of people just post those things to get a reaction.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

It's a defense mechanism.

RolStoppable said:

Thread titles don't have "Opinion" in them to signal that it is an opinion inside, rather it's just a new method to get away with blatant trolling. Which means that the mod team has to catch on and crack down on these threads. Not just by locking them (which has also taken way too long), but bans need to be handed out as well. The word "Opinion" is in thread titles because people full well know what they are doing, so there's no question about the intent. Lately the mod team has opted for the benefit of the doubt way too often; that doesn't only hold true for "Opinion" threads.

You forgot to mention the public executions livestream.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)