By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Brexit discussion thread- UPDATE: the majority chose leave!

Should Britain stay or leave?

Stay! 185 48.43%

Leave! 197 51.57%

Total:382
Soleron said:
Dallinor said:

Yikes.

If I'm not mistaken The North/NorthEast had the highest level of EU funding in Britain after Wales. 

My region was one of the lowest, and even then it's all spent in the big cities. My county is extremely rural and takes about half an hour to travel 10 miles - if there even is a road. I've never seen evidence of an EU project in the towns I frequent.

I live on an A-road between two of the major cities in my area, and the bus service to either city is once per hour on weekdays only, stopping before 6pm.

Sounds like where my dad lives and where one of my friends stays. Great Harwood and Upholland. 

The biggest blow will come from Scotland if they leave. The capital is bad at funding and supporting regions the further north you go. 

Around the Network
lionpetercarmoo said:

OMG 1652 PEOPLE ABSOLUTELY COUNTS FOR EVERRRYYYBODY IN THE UK.

1000 is a standard poll number and the most common used, fewer and the poll is inaccurate, larger takes more time and money.

Hmm, pie.

So I've realized that many people already have definite views on how this will impact Britain(and the rest of the world). Also realized that many people regret choosing to leave.

First, I wish the best of luck to all Britains. Hopefully things go well and nothing horrible occurs.

Secondly, I wonder what the pros are for leaving. If they stayed with the Eu, wouldn't Britain have more support from other countries in the EU?

I can't say much on the topic(don't know too much about it), but it seems like not too many people have analyzed the pros and cons of staying or leaving.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

The Fury said:
lionpetercarmoo said:

OMG 1652 PEOPLE ABSOLUTELY COUNTS FOR EVERRRYYYBODY IN THE UK.

1000 is a standard poll number and the most common used, fewer and the poll is inaccurate, larger takes more time and money.

And? People shouldn't be using that as proof. 

Best thing to come out of Brexit.

https://youtu.be/5y5rwu4S-1s

Around the Network

All this harping on about independence, maybe give Scotland and N Ireland a vote to leave the UK. Especially considering They both voted to remain. All this BS is hilarious considering that Ireland is still just 26 counties, while the Other 6 are stuck in the UK.

Soundwave said:
Scisca said:

That's only your personal opinion. I know for a fact many of them are successful enough to be able to add to our economy. My brother returned from UK this year and had enough capital to start a business here and buy a few flats to rent on the side. You don't need billions of dolars to start a business.

No it doesn't. The English are pragmatic and will follow their centuries-old policy of supporting a balance on the continent, cause it benefits them the most. UK doesn't want any European country to become a significant leader, instead wants countries to keep cancelling each other out. That's why the rise of Germany and their alliance with Russia scares UK and their natural answer is to support Poland as counterweight in Central Europe. That's why Cameron visits Poland a couple times a year, that's why we've started a close cooperation within NATO. No populist bullshit will blind any politician over it. Learn about true politics.

Here's a newsflash ... it's not 1935 anymore.

And even if Germany and Russia are dance partners, lol I doubt Poland factors very much if at all into that whole equation. 

You're adorable Here's a newsflash - history never ended! The fight for power is as fierce as ever. And I dare you - name me another significant European country that's a more natural and dependable ally to the UK. Just don't spend a whole night on it

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Soundwave said:
Wyrdness said:

I'll translate:

Boris Johnson - Now that we won we don't want to leave because the is no actual plan and structure in place and we've yet to start work on one and our campaign was built on a load of bullocks that consists of lies and half truths. If we left now we'd be up shit creek.

EU should force them out immediately. It'd be hilarious. 

Yes, the EU should kick one of the pillars of the Union that has been essential is keeping the poor countries afloat. I'm sure that's what's going to happen.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Hopefully this starts a chain reaction in the EU. Countries like France, Austria and the Netherlands would all be reasonably likely to leave if given a chance. There are probably others too.

hershel_layton said:
So I've realized that many people already have definite views on how this will impact Britain(and the rest of the world). Also realized that many people regret choosing to leave.

First, I wish the best of luck to all Britains. Hopefully things go well and nothing horrible occurs.

Secondly, I wonder what the pros are for leaving. If they stayed with the Eu, wouldn't Britain have more support from other countries in the EU?

I can't say much on the topic(don't know too much about it), but it seems like not too many people have analyzed the pros and cons of staying or leaving.

Apart from the fact that they regain full sovereignity, which actually means something in times when European institutions dare to debate and vote on drafts of the Greek budget and the head of the European Council says officially that politicians ruling in Europe shouldn't listen to their people and instead "rule responsibly".

They gain a lot of flexibility, since EU imposes stiff regulations on your finances, taxes and many social issues. It's basically borderline communist at this point in EU in many instances. This was the reason why Iceland decided not to enter the Union, the costs would be too high for them and they'd lose the flexibility that allowed them to get over the financial crisis. EU is stiff, petrified and has no flexibility. Now they'll be able to always adopt solutions that are best for them and their people, instead of those that are best for some imaginary "Europe".

All in all, I think that they'll be very fine outside. So many people are creating these black scenarios of economic disaster, while I think they will benefit from this. They'll easily get a good deal on trade with the EU. They'll try to position themselves as the neutral country on the Atlantic Ocean that governs the whole trade between the US and EU as the neutral middle-man. They'll basically try to become the new Switzerland, only on a much grander scale. And I think they'll succeed. Instead of being tied down to the dying Europe, they'll open themselves to the US more and they'll be absolutely fine.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.