By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Game of Thrones Battle of the Bastards

Volterra_90 said:
method114 said:

haha so true. They started off with a little Dorne and then just stopped. Unfortunately looks like they are coming back on the finale but from what I hear it will be interesting this time at the very least.

Dorne... interesting? I really have to see that for myself XD. Those women are really annoying. Let's hope that they can improve the Dorne storyline and it begins to be worth my time haha.

Agreed. I have my doubts as well but I'm just praying that if it is boring we only get a few minutes of it.

Around the Network

Maybe nobody noticed my post because they don't understand, so let me ask again in a clearer way.

Sansa, has crossed the point of no return. She is the archetypal fallen angel/fallen hero. Her death is now guaranteed. The only question is how it's going to happen. Generally, in situations like this, it comes down to the mentor or the close friend. The mentor is Baelish. The close friend is Theon. So, who will it be?

I honestly don't get why people are so impressed with this episode. It was very conventional and clichéd. He good guys winning despite incredible odds, the last minute appearance of the Vale army. Not once did I fear Snow would die.

Yes, the fight scenes were really well done. Bit otherwise, it was you basic good triumphs over evil despite incredible odds and with a last minute save. Conventional. I give it an 8/10.

Rêveur said:
I honestly don't get why people are so impressed with this episode. It was very conventional and clichéd. He good guys winning despite incredible odds, the last minute appearance of the Vale army. Not once did I fear Snow would die.

Yes, the fight scenes were really well done. Bit otherwise, it was you basic good triumphs over evil despite incredible odds and with a last minute save. Conventional. I give it an 8/10.

There's more undertone than you're giving it.

Sansa held back information from Jon. Sansa was upset that Jon didn't ask her anything. There's mounting tension.
Sansa officially crossed the moral event horizon. She is now a villain.
The battle was very well filmed. It's not often that you see both the chaos on the field AND the overall pitch. 
Littlefingers appearance and what it means for the group. 
The Danaerys situation FINALLY being resolved in Mehreen, it was really getting tiresome.

The episode was not about good triumphing over evil. The episode was about Sansa's initiation into villainy.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
theprof00 said:

There's more undertone than you're giving it.

Sansa held back information from Jon. Sansa was upset that Jon didn't ask her anything. There's mounting tension.
Sansa officially crossed the moral event horizon. She is now a villain.
The battle was very well filmed. It's not often that you see both the chaos on the field AND the overall pitch. 
Littlefingers appearance and what it means for the group. 
The Danaerys situation FINALLY being resolved in Mehreen, it was really getting tiresome.

The episode was not about good triumphing over evil. The episode was about Sansa's initiation into villainy.

Why is she a villain ?

Her killing of Ramsay was beyond moral justice. 

She just sicced a pack of dogs on a tied down victim ensuring an agonizing death, in a very dramatically ironic fashion, and smiled about it. I know we like to think of the characters in the show, and even ourselves, as people who would be right to do the same. But what's being ignored is that the kill was grotesque. It was something that should've curdled any normal person's blood. She took pleasure in it. 

Not even the hound is so ghastly. Not even the mountain. Not jon, not anyone. It takes a special kind of person to do that, and the only people we've seen do anything like that are Ramsay, Joffrey, Khal Drogo, Visaerys (talked about it), even Danaerys is getting close to being a villain.

Remember, that there are many kinds of villains other than the card-carrying types listed above. Some villains think they are good. Some are Knight Templars, thinking that they are doing the right thing despite what they have to do (like stannis). 

Some references for your consideration of fallen heros turned villain:
Batman's Harvey Dent
Griffith from Berserk
Anakin from Star Wars
Sephiroth from Final Fantasy

All have several things in common, ambitiousness followed by a singular or prolonged event of upheaval which completely changes the way the innocent/naive person thinks about the world, causing them in most cases to commit an act that is beyond normal justice, and crosses into moments of madness and eventually when the dust settles...villain. 

EDIT: Another eerie similarity is that all of these characters, including sansa, hold the belief of "I know better than you do", like she said last episode.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
theprof00 said:

Her killing of Ramsay was beyond moral justice. 

She just sicced a pack of dogs on a tied down victim ensuring an agonizing death, in a very dramatically ironic fashion, and smiled about it. I know we like to think of the characters in the show, and even ourselves, as people who would be right to do the same. But what's being ignored is that the kill was grotesque. It was something that should've curdled any normal person's blood. She took pleasure in it. 

Not even the hound is so ghastly. Not even the mountain. Not jon, not anyone. It takes a special kind of person to do that, and the only people we've seen do anything like that are Ramsay, Joffrey, Khal Drogo, Visaerys (talked about it), even Danaerys is getting close to being a villain.

Remember, that there are many kinds of villains other than the card-carrying types listed above. Some villains think they are good. Some are Knight Templars, thinking that they are doing the right thing despite what they have to do (like stannis). 

Some references for your consideration of fallen heros turned villain:
Batman's Harvey Dent
Griffith from Berserk
Anakin from Star Wars
Sephiroth from Final Fantasy

All have several things in common, ambitiousness followed by a singular or prolonged event of upheaval which completely changes the way the innocent/naive person thinks about the world, causing them in most cases to commit an act that is beyond normal justice, and crosses into moments of madness and eventually when the dust settles...villain. 

EDIT: Another eerie similarity is that all of these characters, including sansa, hold the belief of "I know better than you do", like she said last episode.

Well, ramsey was the most despicable guy to appear on GOT, he killled her brother, he raped her lots of times and and what probably did other things more, she saw him skin people alive, he was a bolton and boltons killed her brother and mother betraying them, etc.

Do you think Arya is not a hero too ? Did you remember last season xD

I understand the thoughts of some people that what she did was justified. I'm not saying it wasn't. But do you think if Jon had killed him, it would've had the same meaning? In France there is a defense called "crime of passion". It's like, you come home to your spouse and find them in bed with someone else, and in a rage, you kill them. If you can prove that you blacked out, or was in an uncontrollable emotional state, then you're good.

Sansa was not in this position. Jon was. Jon, despite being in a complete rage, held back. He watched his brother die feet away from him. He charged an entire army by himself. He saw so many of his friends die, and still stayed in control enough to stop, because he knew that it was sansa who deserved the kill.

But sansa didn't slit his throat, or stab him, or poison him, or have him beheaded, or anything like that. You're introduced in the very first season the way a stark is supposed to execute someone, and that's a quick death. Jon even had to do this with the little kid. Jon is very much the paragon of Ned Stark. He is more Ned than any of Ned's actual children.

I know I seem to be going on and on about Jon, but I only do so to show you a contrast of what Sansa did. Sansa murdered him not only in a physically barbaric way, but in a psychologically torturous way, by killing him in such a dramatically ironic way. Lots of people say that what Ramsay meant by "I'm part of you now", means she's pregnant and he knows. GRRM likes to have dual meanings that are both true. Perhaps she is preggers, but really, she is just like Ramsay. What is the famous quote? gaze long enough into the abyss, and it'll stare right back into you.

Remember also that she treated Rickon as if his eventual death were simply a fact of life. Who can possibly have a smile after their brother died? No matter if you got vengeance. People don't smile when murderers on death row are executed in front of them.

Now, you asked about Arya, true Arya killed several people, and she herself is somewhat out of control. But we also see this season that she couldn't bring herself to kill in cold blood. And that really, Arya is just a badass. She's very similar to the hound in that respect. Remember also that GRRM was once a D&D editor. The alignments of characters is quite diverse. Arya fits the alignment of chaotic neutral.

I know that we may have a difference of opinion here, and I totally appreciate that. Just remember this convo in the future, when you realize sansa is out of control and she fucks someone over big time.

Great episode. It is most likely my favorite one in the whole series. Great writing, great direction and the action was gritty and dirty. Loved it.

Also Sansa isn't a villain. She is evolving. She is far removed from that spoiled little girl that left Winterfell during Season 1. She has seen the terrors of men. The darkness of power. She has witnessed torture, beatings, betrayals and death. She was even robbed of her virginity by a terrible man. I think that this is the end result of what Cersi was trying to teach her about the real ways of the world.

I don't think she is a villain at all. To me it seems like she is fighting back at the world that turned her into the woman she is, by using the tools they used against her.

bunchanumbers said:
Great episode. It is most likely my favorite one in the whole series. Great writing, great direction and the action was gritty and dirty. Loved it.

Also Sansa isn't a villain. She is evolving. She is far removed from that spoiled little girl that left Winterfell during Season 1. She has seen the terrors of men. The darkness of power. She has witnessed torture, beatings, betrayals and death. She was even robbed of her virginity by a terrible man. I think that this is the end result of what Cersi was trying to teach her about the real ways of the world.

I don't think she is a villain at all. To me it seems like she is fighting back at the world that turned her into the woman she is, by using the tools they used against her.

So what you're sayying is that she learned from cersei and littlefinger, and she was already a spoiled, proud, brat, and somehow she has good traits now? Literally 2 of the worst villains in the show have taught her what she knows.

Tell, me, what virtues does she have? Honor? Loyalty? Courage? Like, at least Cersei has loyalty, Sansa didnt even tell Jon about the army of vale. She used him as bait.

Think about it again from my angle.

I totally get the whole "she's seen some shit". But there are people who see shit and do good, like theon, and there are people who see shit and are still bad, margaery, and there are people who see shit and turn bad.

theprof00 said:
bunchanumbers said:

So what you're sayying is that she learned from cersei and littlefinger, and she was already a spoiled, proud, brat, and somehow she has good traits now? Literally 2 of the worst villains in the show have taught her what she knows.

Tell, me, what virtues does she have? Honor? Loyalty? Courage? Like, at least Cersei has loyalty, Sansa didnt even tell Jon about the army of vale. She used him as bait.

I totally get the whole "she's seen some shit". But there are people who see shit and do good, like theon, and there are people who see shit and are still bad, margaery, and there are people who see shit and turn bad.

The spoiled part of her was killed when Ned Stark was beheaded. Her pride was taken away from her when she was stripped and beaten in the royal court and forced to marry into the family that killed her father.

The 2 worst villains in this world told her how the world is. She has shown courage. When she finally escaped from Winterfell from the man who beat her, cut her, and raped her and treated her like a plaything. She has done things the spoiled child wouldn't have done because she still thought she was a weak, scared little girl.

I never said she was a hero. But She isn't a villain. She just sees how the GoT world really works now. She is finally prepared to play the game.

bunchanumbers said:
theprof00 said:

The spoiled part of her was killed when Ned Stark was beheaded. Her pride was taken away from her when she was stripped and beaten in the royal court and forced to marry into the family that killed her father.

The 2 worst villains in this world told her how the world is. She has shown courage. When she finally escaped from Winterfell from the man who beat her, cut her, and raped her and treated her like a plaything. She has done things the spoiled child wouldn't have done because she still thought she was a weak, scared little girl.

I never said she was a hero. But She isn't a villain. She just sees how the GoT world really works now. She is finally prepared to play the game.

I don't think you're getting my point. She WAS spoiled, and proud. Those are not positive traits.

It doesn't take bravery to ask someone help you escape. She did what she had to, and it was self-serving.

Anyway, I digress. Let's agree to disagree. I've seen enough dramatic series to have a good idea that this is a character circling the drain. Maybe I'm just shit at explaining why the actions of Sansa crossed the line, but I'll just let the show play out instead of arguing. I'm almost 100% sure she's turned. I'll admit, it's very early stages, but I know that writers, especially fantasy type writers, do things very purposefully. The way she killed him has meaning, it's not just there as fan-service, it's simply just meant to *seem* that way. If something in a book ever just seems like, 'eh, it's just the way it happened', there's more to it. Everything in GoT has been set up very precisely.  Yara back in season 2 foreshadowed Theons castration, and he did himself at winterfell. Ramsay was foreshadowed a whole season before we met him. Ned and Roberts deaths are given away when they find the direwolf dead with a stag in its jaw. Each direwolves death has symbolic meaning, they all die at times of major plot changes. Jaime in episode 2 talks about how he'd rather die than be a cripple. Or how Bran has visions through the eyes of a wolf, and a raven and then 4 seasons later we find out he's a warg. Or how Dany stepped into scalding hot bath before we even realized that fire doesn't hurt "dragons".

The thing is in stories like this is, you're meant to simply gloss over things and solve them with simple logic or character flaws. It's like The Hound's "death". Everyone who understands the series KNEW, "no head, not dead". If you didn't know how he writes, you'd simply just imagine that Arya left him to die. It's also obvious that their paths are going to cross again. It makes for good drama.

The difference between a show you watch on tv, and a show that's based on a completely written out storyboard, is that the things they do hint strongly at things to come. It's VERY deliberate in how things play out. Theon losing his cock, the way Tywin died (everyone talks about him shitting gold), even Jorah getting grayscale is going to lead to something important that's already been planned out. Him getting greyscale wasn't just "that's the way things happen in got". It's a plot device.

The entire scene of Sansa killing him, the whole thing, the battle, etc, was very deliberate. And it wasn't meant to show her as a tactical genius. It was meant to show that she hid things from Jon, used him as bait, brutally killed Ramsay and smiled about it.

Agh....I said I wouldn't argue and there I went lol.

Whatever, you'll understand when it happens.