By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overwatch discussion thread - Christmas update is here!

celador said:
Is anyone here good with D.Va?

I tried her out for the first time today. Only a handful of matches. First match did pretty well (at least for me) with 17 eliminations in a game with quite high level players. After that not so good.

Her damage output at even middle range seems crappy, but at close range she seems to get comfortably beaten by guys that excel at close range, like Reaper. Also her Ult seems difficult to use effectively. It's so slow to actually finish people generally get away really comfortably.

I obviously need more practice, but I was wondering about other people's opinion of her

Tried her a few times. She feels a bit slow for me and her general stopping power isn't all that much to consider me using her often, though I did hear that at some point in time she may get a buff to some part of her, that might actually get me playing her that bit more. I do like how creative some people can get when using her ult though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
celador said:
Talking of Zenyatta, he is apparently being talked about right now as one of the next characters to be altered. http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745755226#post-4

No-one picked him in a recent tournament.

I can see him getting some sort of buff but since he's support I could imagine a health or healing buff, a damage one seems a bit out of place for someone like him. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
celador said:

I tried her out for the first time today. Only a handful of matches. First match did pretty well (at least for me) with 17 eliminations in a game with quite high level players. After that not so good.

Her damage output at even middle range seems crappy, but at close range she seems to get comfortably beaten by guys that excel at close range, like Reaper. Also her Ult seems difficult to use effectively. It's so slow to actually finish people generally get away really comfortably.

I obviously need more practice, but I was wondering about other people's opinion of her

Tried her a few times. She feels a bit slow for me and her general stopping power isn't all that much to consider me using her often, though I did hear that at some point in time she may get a buff to some part of her, that might actually get me playing her that bit more. I do like how creative some people can get when using her ult though.

Yeah, slow and underpowered is how she feels. If she gets a buff I hope it is range more than anything.

I think Zarya is the only tank I really enjoy playing as at the moment actually. The others are ok for an odd game when I want to play someone different.

celador said:
Chazore said:

Yeah, slow and underpowered is how she feels. If she gets a buff I hope it is range more than anything.

I think Zarya is the only tank I really enjoy playing as at the moment actually. The others are ok for an odd game when I want to play someone different.

Winston is a lot of fun to play. Especially once you get a hang of who to pursue and who to avoid. It so fun melting away a Genji who can outmaneuver your electricity no matter how often he jumps or getting Windowmaker off her perch to free up the way for your team.

Signature goes here!

I just got a Play of the Game with Junkrat where his Rip-Tire wasn't even involved!

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
vivster said:

It hurts me to see people shitting on games that really focus on great gameplay but don't have a lot of content because they're released early to gather fan feedback and because of financial reasons. They get shat on in the same way as games with a lot of content but bad or boring gameplay. And then I'm thinking to myself, content can be created but if a core gameplay loop isn't on point at release it will never truly be good.

There is zero risk that Blizzard will not support this game with new content for at least a few years. It was crazy popular even before the game released and not because it's Blizzard but it's one of the greatest foundations of an online shooter ever. There will be content along the way but I doubt it will help you much.

I don't believe that an online game with minimal content that bores you after a month will have the ability to keep you much longer than that even with more content. Of course it's people's right to complain about lack of content but it's not like content will come any sooner that way. I'm sure they have already laid out an internal plan for DLCs for at least a year.

BTW full disclaimer: So far I haven't played asingle second of Overwatch. I like to watch it on youtube and I love the characters. I will play it at some point if I can find other people to play it with and when I'm done with RL^^

The thing with Blizzard though is that they tend to respond and take action to feedback MORE than any other company, Diablo 3 for example is a far far far far better game today than it was on launch, mostly thanks to peoples constructive criticism of various aspects of it.
It's why Constructive Criticism has "Constructive" in it and why it's not always a bad thing, people should be opinionated on something they splashed cash on, otherwise company's become complacant which is a bad thing for consumers.

And I agree, if the core gameplay isn't up to snuff, then the rest of the game will suffer, but just remember, this is Blizzard.
They could have hundreds of people working on this to make sure that not only is the Core gameplay acceptable, but there is sufficient content on launch.

And I disagree... If the game had more content, then I would likely play it more, especially if the game supported user created content.

You should get into the game, it's solid and worth playing, even without friends.

archer9234 said:
Competition mode is really fun. But getting the gold weapons will take a hell of a time. You have to win 300 games, basically. To get one characters gun. I don't think it's worth the time.

It's so that Blizzard can entice people towards it's Microtransactions... A friend of mine has already spent $120 to unlock stuff because he got impatient.

celador said:

With D.Va, I use the forward shield and the booster to get into high spots to take out turrets.

Once your mech dies, then fall back and just fire from a distance into the enemy untill you can re-activate your special and get your mech back and rinse and repeat. D.Va's main advantage is how long she can stay in a fight, not how much damage she can output.

Chazore said:
celador said:
Talking of Zenyatta, he is apparently being talked about right now as one of the next characters to be altered. http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745755226#post-4

No-one picked him in a recent tournament.

I can see him getting some sort of buff but since he's support I could imagine a health or healing buff, a damage one seems a bit out of place for someone like him. 

He really does need a health buff. If you are against a good team... They will have a few squishies flank and take out the supporters like Zenyatta... Tracer can and will dominate.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

celador said:

D.Va is my main. She is not a tank meant for every fight though. Her armor shreds apart from everything in mech mode, mech damage is absolutely terrible unless you're shooting basically point blank, and the fact that her little handgun is stronger and more effective than her mech guns should be a crime. That said, you can do a ton of damage as D.Va.

As someone else mentioned, D.Va's power comes in how long she can stay in the fight. Her greatest enemy is probably Reinhard, really, because he can swing while you're evacing from the suit and drop you before you even touch the ground. As long as you avoid becoming a hammer target though (and of course avoid close up Mei), she can stay in a fight really well by falling back and using her medium range handgun to protect her fleshy, low life self. Otherwise the mech is stellar for stomping turrets, as turret damage seems to be the one thing the suit can take a fair amount of without crumpling like cheap aluminum foil, and it's easy to close the gap between you and them with her boost.

The damage shield is honestly kind of worthless unless you're using it to create a gap just long enough to dash out of a losing confrontation. Otherwise players don't tend to pool around D.Va when the shield is up, making it a relatively useless tanking ability. The dash, which can damage enemies and push them off edges, and close range guns are the biggest advantage in the suit, while medium range firing is the advantage outside of the suit.

D.Va is basically where all of my records come from though. Record eliminations? 44 with D.Va. Record objective kills? 30-something with D.Va. Record damage done? Nearly 20k with D.Va (that came from a seriously brutal high level match I got tossed into to fill a team gap). She can be an incredible character in the right situations.

Also, with her ult, it's more a deterrant than a damage tool. You should be using it to help clear objectives, simply by scaring enemies away if nothing else. It is at it's most useful with a cooperative team in a non-payload match. It's harder to use with the payload since enemies can just hide on he opposite side of the payload or in one of the many nooks and crannies on those maps to avoid the explosion. That said, I've ended overtime and finished many matches in general by dropping my ult in the right place at the right time. It's a strategic play.

That aside, she really needs a buff of some kind. Last I knew, the devs were having a hard time deciding between buffing her mech damage or making her mech suit more durable. Personally, I'd prefer a longer effective range and slightly higher damage for the mech guns, but I would take simply being able to survive confrontations with basically any hero from up close as well.

LuckyTrouble said:

D.Va is my main. She is not a tank meant for every fight though. Her armor shreds apart from everything in mech mode, mech damage is absolutely terrible unless you're shooting basically point blank, and the fact that her little handgun is stronger and more effective than her mech guns should be a crime. That said, you can do a ton of damage as D.Va.

As someone else mentioned, D.Va's power comes in how long she can stay in the fight. Her greatest enemy is probably Reinhard, really, because he can swing while you're evacing from the suit and drop you before you even touch the ground. As long as you avoid becoming a hammer target though (and of course avoid close up Mei), she can stay in a fight really well by falling back and using her medium range handgun to protect her fleshy, low life self. Otherwise the mech is stellar for stomping turrets, as turret damage seems to be the one thing the suit can take a fair amount of without crumpling like cheap aluminum foil, and it's easy to close the gap between you and them with her boost.

The damage shield is honestly kind of worthless unless you're using it to create a gap just long enough to dash out of a losing confrontation. Otherwise players don't tend to pool around D.Va when the shield is up, making it a relatively useless tanking ability. The dash, which can damage enemies and push them off edges, and close range guns are the biggest advantage in the suit, while medium range firing is the advantage outside of the suit.

D.Va is basically where all of my records come from though. Record eliminations? 44 with D.Va. Record objective kills? 30-something with D.Va. Record damage done? Nearly 20k with D.Va (that came from a seriously brutal high level match I got tossed into to fill a team gap). She can be an incredible character in the right situations.

Also, with her ult, it's more a deterrant than a damage tool. You should be using it to help clear objectives, simply by scaring enemies away if nothing else. It is at it's most useful with a cooperative team in a non-payload match. It's harder to use with the payload since enemies can just hide on he opposite side of the payload or in one of the many nooks and crannies on those maps to avoid the explosion. That said, I've ended overtime and finished many matches in general by dropping my ult in the right place at the right time. It's a strategic play.

That aside, she really needs a buff of some kind. Last I knew, the devs were having a hard time deciding between buffing her mech damage or making her mech suit more durable. Personally, I'd prefer a longer effective range and slightly higher damage for the mech guns, but I would take simply being able to survive confrontations with basically any hero from up close as well.

Thanks for the write-up. I've really only used her on payloads so far, so I'm going to avoid that and give her a few games on games with static capture points.

celador said:

Thanks for the write-up. I've really only used her on payloads so far, so I'm going to avoid that and give her a few games on games with static capture points.

I'm no D. Va player but I do remember a match where I was Windowmaker and where a D.Va made my life miserable. She was always seeking me out, boosting to me and forcing me to run away or get killed.

Signature goes here!

celador said:

Yeah. DVA is a balancing act. To do the best damage, is to be at close range. And using her absorb beam at the right moment. Her self D does suck. Because it has to allow DVA to escape the blast radius. Which just helps the enemies. It's best to do it with someone elses Ult. I will help out DVA with Zarya by activating my graviton surge, to keep people in place. She has the advantage of never needing to reload. Which makes her excellent to deal with other tank characters.

Pemalite said:

archer9234 said:
Competition mode is really fun. But getting the gold weapons will take a hell of a time. You have to win 300 games, basically. To get one characters gun. I don't think it's worth the time.

It's so that Blizzard can entice people towards it's Microtransactions... A friend of mine has already spent $120 to unlock stuff because he got impatient.

Can you buy the competative points? Or can the gold gun be randomly unlocked in lootcrates? I never cared about the lootcrate stuff. Because there were many ways to get stuff. I saved up 1000 coins to get a skin. Took a month. I didn't mind that. But needing to win 300 matches, only from humans. I can't stand. If it were 100. Or you got 10 points each game. I wouldn't care. 300 is worse then saving up for 4 1000 skins.