By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Opinion: Gears 4 And Scalebound Don't Look Too Good

Both looks good, what they shown of scalebound wasn't what people wanted to see though. I think that the main character of Scalebound is a tool for a narrative purpose.

Tim and The Princes...

Around the Network

Gears 4 looks great as for Scalebound I can't comment on that.

Proud to be a Californian.

i disagree scalebound looks amazing, gears 4 not so much

Big Xbox hater here.

Gears of War just looks like Gears of War, so I dont care about it.

Scalebound looks.... somewhat promising. On the same level as Days Gone if you ask me; could be good or bad.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

MTZehvor said:
GOWTLOZ said:

The quantity of games has no relevance here, if the quality can't match. Number of IP's they work on matters little with such half hearted efforts put into most of them. When Santa Monica makes a game, I know it will be top notch. When Platinum does so, it could easily be good or bad.

Same for Ninja Theory, smaller quanity of hack and slash games but the ones they made were atleast good.

Yes, it does. In fact, it's the ONLY thing that matters, because, as you'll recall, my original quote was:

"They're the only developer on the market that consistently makes good hack and slash titles..."

The word is consistently. You have to be consistently releasing games in a genre to qualify. Santa Monica has released ONE game that could be qualified as a hack and slash in the last five years. Ninja Theory has ONE in the last nine. Platinum has FOUR in the past three years alone, three of which have a higher than 80 on Metacritic. And, incidentially, my point in bringing in Metacritic scores is not to show that they produce better or worse games than either Santa Monica or Ninja Theory; it's simply to show that they are consistently releasing good hack and slash games. Even if some of their releases are failures, you can count on there being a highly rated Platinum hack and slash game released in any given three year period since the release of the original Devil May Cry. You cannot say the same for either SM or NT.

Your argument would apply if we were debating who the better developer is, but we're not. We're simply talking about who consistently releases good hack and slash games, and if neither of your two counter examples even qualify for the "consistently" part, then it's pretty much a moot point from there.

By the way, as a side note, you left out Bayonetta 2 from your overall list, as well as all of Platinum's highly rated titles before they split up with Capcom (Okami, Viewitful Joe 1 & 2, Devil May Cry, etc.). It's not a particularly relevant detail to this debate, but if you're going to cite the entire scope of scores for a developer, it would be worth making sure you get, well, all of their scores.

Quality matters more to me, and when you say consistently release good hack and slash games, it has to be consistent, not three out of four in the last three years. That's inconsistency.

Okami was developed by Clover Studio. Viewtiful Joe was developed by Team Viewtiful. Neither are Platinum games.

Bayonetta 2 was a big oversight on my part, I agree to that. But still the general level of quality of their games is well below the other developers.

I do however agree that Ninja Theory has made a very small amount of games, but they will release Hellblade this year, so let's see how it is.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
curl-6 said:

The level of "evolution" between UC1 and UC4 and between Gears 1 and 4 looks about the same to me. Both have the same core gameplay, just with the setpieces cranked up a notch and some physics based destruction thrown in.

you obviously havent played Uncharted 4 then. 

I am playing UC4 and I really do not see that much differernce within the gamplay.  Besides destrutable cover what is really different from UC4 than 1 - 3.

GOWTLOZ said:
MTZehvor said:

Yes, it does. In fact, it's the ONLY thing that matters, because, as you'll recall, my original quote was:

"They're the only developer on the market that consistently makes good hack and slash titles..."

The word is consistently. You have to be consistently releasing games in a genre to qualify. Santa Monica has released ONE game that could be qualified as a hack and slash in the last five years. Ninja Theory has ONE in the last nine. Platinum has FOUR in the past three years alone, three of which have a higher than 80 on Metacritic. And, incidentially, my point in bringing in Metacritic scores is not to show that they produce better or worse games than either Santa Monica or Ninja Theory; it's simply to show that they are consistently releasing good hack and slash games. Even if some of their releases are failures, you can count on there being a highly rated Platinum hack and slash game released in any given three year period since the release of the original Devil May Cry. You cannot say the same for either SM or NT.

Your argument would apply if we were debating who the better developer is, but we're not. We're simply talking about who consistently releases good hack and slash games, and if neither of your two counter examples even qualify for the "consistently" part, then it's pretty much a moot point from there.

By the way, as a side note, you left out Bayonetta 2 from your overall list, as well as all of Platinum's highly rated titles before they split up with Capcom (Okami, Viewitful Joe 1 & 2, Devil May Cry, etc.). It's not a particularly relevant detail to this debate, but if you're going to cite the entire scope of scores for a developer, it would be worth making sure you get, well, all of their scores.

Quality matters more to me, and when you say consistently release good hack and slash games, it has to be consistent, not three out of four in the last three years. That's inconsistency.

Okami was developed by Clover Studio. Viewtiful Joe was developed by Team Viewtiful. Neither are Platinum games.

Bayonetta 2 was a big oversight on my part, I agree to that. But still the general level of quality of their games is well below the other developers.

I do however agree that Ninja Theory has made a very small amount of games, but they will release Hellblade this year, so let's see how it is.

If quality matters more to you, that's fine. I'm not trying to convince you that Platinum is better than either SM or NT. What I'm simply saying is that Platinum is the only developer that consistently develops good hack and slash games, and when your two counter examples have barely been involved in the genre at all over the past half decade, it doesn't really hold up to the point I'm making. I'm not concerned with arguing who the better developer is, or which one you should like more.

And no, my statement does not mean that they have to reach some kind of quota for minimum quality of games released. As long as they are consistently releasing good games (as I would argue three good games over a course of a three year period is), then it does not matter how many bad or even terrible games they release. There is a difference between stating that a company releases good games consistently, and that the quality of the games they release is consistent. All I am stating is that Platinum can routinely be relied upon for a good hack and slash game. I'm not arguing that they don't release bad games, and I'm not arguing that every game they release will be good. I'm not even arguing that the majority of the games they release will be good (though I do believe that's the case). I'm simply saying that they are constantly involved in the hack and slash industry, and that they can be counted on to produce good hack and slash games routinely. If you disagree with the underlined, then feel free to debate it. Anything else, and your points are off topic and not related to what I'm saying.

Anyway, a few minor points;

Platinum Studios was Clover Studios. Clover Studios was a second party developer working for Capcom until 2006, when they were disbanded. At that point, basically the entire team went together to form Platinum Studios. And Clover was at least partially responsible for Viewitful Joe's development, if memory serves.

bananaking21 said:
curl-6 said:

The level of "evolution" between UC1 and UC4 and between Gears 1 and 4 looks about the same to me. Both have the same core gameplay, just with the setpieces cranked up a notch and some physics based destruction thrown in.

I don't need to play it to know what kind of game it is, just like I don't need to ride a horse to know that it's a mammal.

think-man said:
Gears has always been subpar imo

I'm really surprised to hear you say that. You're always so positive about MS games.

If you think Gears is subpar I'd love to know what cover shooters you're playing. Because you implying its worse than what you typically play. Maybe "subpar" was a poor word choice?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

curl-6 said:
bananaking21 said:

I don't need to play it to know what kind of game it is, just like I don't need to ride a horse to know that it's a mammal.

There is some truth to this. I think we can all agree we avoid some games based on genre and gameplay.

However, I also feel opinions sometimes change depending on the platform of a game. Hence, I think you would play Uncharted 4 if it was a Wii U game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)