By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Neo is focused on 4k gaming, make no mistake.

vivster said:
If Sony forces developers to make their games 4k30 instead of 1080p60 just for bragging rights I will hate them even more.

The only one forcing developers is the gaming community.

Why do we have this 4k discussion though it is irrelevant the next 5-10 years concerning conventional gaming? Without demand there would be no supply. 

So... go on and hate yourself.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

id take 1080p 60fps over 4k 30fps anyday.

Zoombael said:
vivster said:
If Sony forces developers to make their games 4k30 instead of 1080p60 just for bragging rights I will hate them even more.

Why do we have this 4k discussion though it is irrelevant the next 5-10 years concerning conventional gaming? Without demand there would be no supply. 

To be fair... The community did the same with 1080P as well.
If it wasn't 1080P is was seen as "unacceptable". - Microsoft copped the brunt of that vitriol with the Xbox One.

We are transitioning to 4k. (Thank god.) And the sooner it happens the better in my opinion, then we can leave the resolution issues to rest and focus on other aspects.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Zoombael said:

If it wasn't 1080P is was seen as "unacceptable". - Microsoft copped the brunt of that vitriol with the Xbox One.

We are transitioning to 4k. (Thank god.) And the sooner it happens the better in my opinion, then we can leave the resolution issues to rest and focus on other aspects.

1080p took majority market share in 2011 though and adoption rate was over 80% last year. The format is 15 years old now.
Optimistic 4K projections put it at 15% at the end of the year. Yet most of those will still be 55" or less and without HDR.

Resolution issues will go on, dynamic scaling, VR, textures, shadows, reflections, effects. It will be a long time before it all runs at native 4K, or even native 1080p. Then comes 8K, cause 4K isn't gonna be good enough for VR once we get used to 4K tv. We'll be pixel counting until 2030 at least.

I don't understand this 4K buzz. It's like it's only a selling point by the companies, nothing the audience has asked for or even thought about.

I'm a PC guy who spends good money on hardware but I'm still happy with 1080p, and my next planned step is a 1440p monitor and hardware that can support that, while 4k is probably at least three years away.

And we all know that consoles have weaker hardware, so the people are right who say even doubt 4k is possible on a consistent basis even on a Scorpion.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:

1080p took majority market share in 2011 though and adoption rate was over 80% last year. The format is 15 years old now.
Optimistic 4K projections put it at 15% at the end of the year. Yet most of those will still be 55" or less and without HDR.

Resolution issues will go on, dynamic scaling, VR, textures, shadows, reflections, effects. It will be a long time before it all runs at native 4K, or even native 1080p. Then comes 8K, cause 4K isn't gonna be good enough for VR once we get used to 4K tv. We'll be pixel counting until 2030 at least.

Yeah, that's why all the 4k talk is so premature. 1080p with continously more advanced effects will look amazing and also demand all the hardware resources we have available. Current hardware, even if we talk PS4, struggles even with 1080p, demanding developers to turn down important graphics effects.

Plus diminishing returns. When we talk 4K diminishing returns really kick in. IMO 4K looks only twice as good as 1080p, but it demands four times the rendering power. So when hardware resources are scarce, 4k is so not worth it.

Slimebeast said:

Yeah, that's why all the 4k talk is so premature. 1080p with continously more advanced effects will look amazing and also demand all the hardware resources we have available. Current hardware, even if we talk PS4, struggles even with 1080p, demanding developers to turn down important graphics effects.

Plus diminishing returns. When we talk 4K diminishing returns really kick in. IMO 4K looks only twice as good as 1080p, but it demands four times the rendering power. So when hardware resources are scarce, 4k is so not worth it.

It's not just games. My cable provider is still using 7-8 mbps mpeg2 720p/1080i streams. At times 'HD' tv still looks worse than the old uncompressed analog. Pause it in any busy scene, especially one with strobe lights and it's not even worthy of a 240p you tube video.
Streaming still sits at 5 to 10 mbps for 1080p, and even blu-ray still uses 4:2:0 chroma subsampling (960x540 color info) in 8 bit color, while hmdi 1.4 already supports 10 and 12 bit color, deep color, super white, x.v color. Yet even with the limited rec.709 pallette, 1080p video still looks awesome blown up to 92" (11 ft away) Proper calibration makes all the difference.

And yeah diminishing returns, check out the 4K review for Ghostbusters
Sony's 2160p/HDR-enabled release doesn't really turn heads or, at first glance, improve all that much on that "Mi4K" release. The real question, however, is how much this release stands apart from the older "Mastered in 4K" release, which was itself a marked improvement over the original 1080p release. There's certainly some improvement in finer point details on the UHD release.
It pretty much becomes a DF analysis to spot the differences. A proper 4K master downscaled to 1080p looks amazing.

But I guess the industry has decided, easier to make 4K panels than to improve content delivery. Restrict HDR and 10 bit color to 4K and cash in again. I'm hoping for a downscaling 4K UHD player that can output a 4K movie in 4:4:4 1080p, no chroma subsampling.

For games, native display res is always best. Get 1080p looking great first before we start another round of akward upscaling resolutions. The only thing that's going to be native 4K is the Hud.

I'll wait for the official news for this Neo

Pemalite said:

Pal "Standard Definition/DVD" is 720x576i
NTSC "Standard Definition/DVD" is 720x480i
High Definition is 1280x720 (Allot of 720P TV's are actually 1366x768 or 1360x768)
Full High Definition  is 1920x1080
Quad High Definition is 2560x1440
Quad Full High Definition is 3840x2160
The Real Cinema standard 4k is actually 4096x2160.

That's mostly because it's literally a quad-drupling of pixels, retaining the same aspect ratio. - There isn't any weird stretching or scaling going on.

Teeqoz said:

Not too much really. Only like 399-449$, using new GPU tech like Polaris 10 or 11 and a bit beefier CPU. So somewhere from 50 to 100 dollars more than a PS4 currently costs.

That assumes that Polaris has the capability to acceptably handle 4k, keep in mind it's a mid-range card, it's target is 1080P/1440P and VR.

Now nVidia is struggling to achieve 4k 60fps with it's Geforce 1080 card...
AMD is trying to sell consumers on two Polaris 10 cards verses a single Geforce 1080 for gaming and benchmarks are backing that up, you can't expect a single card to do 4k.

Vega and then Navi will be AMD's "4k" chips. Not Polaris, no idea where this expectation of Polaris doing 4k came from.

Um, what?  Yes there is or it would look all blockly.  Look at a Wii on a 1080p TV, it's painful.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

The PS4 is not going to be a True 4k console. And i think that is exactly what sony intended.

Make a console that has the power to do stable 1080p and extra power to dial up everything within that 1080p then output that in 4k with an upscaling alogarithm that has more power then the average upscaler has.

What you end up with is something that looks better than 1080p but bot as good as 4k, but a ge that has more IQ improvements outside just resolution.