By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Neo is focused on 4k gaming, make no mistake.

Puppyroach said:
Why this insane focus from MS and Sony on 4K??

I have no idea...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
Zekkyou said:

Ignoring variables we don't yet know, the Neo having 3x times the GPU power of a PS4 (so about 5.5tf) should be enough for it to compete with the Scorpio in the 4k space. They could just run the games at a slightly lower resolution, e.g. 2060p instead of 2160p. I doubt even a pixel whore like me would notice that much (though i'll have a check in a minute).

As it currently stands though, i don't expect either the Neo or Scorpio to be hitting 4k as a primary standard. At least not without the PS4/X1's current graphical standards taking a dip.

Developers balancing two(or four...) versions of the same game will be difficult. Do they devote extra man-power, time and money into beefing up the 4k version? Or do they compromise and the differences between the 4k version and standard version will be minute...

If Sony and MS do a good job in making the PS4 + Neo, and X1 + Scorpio compatible, there shouldn't be much work involved for developers that opt to just increase IQ/performance.

CosmicSex said:
Guitarguy said:

A 4k internal upscaler would probably cost at much as a current-day PS4 retail.... Unless you love lots of input lag...

It has been reported that the Xbox Slim Model will upscale games to 4k.  So, obviously it not what you are making it out to be. 

Both the current PS4 and X1 already have upscalers, but for 1080p. That's what games on 720-900p use already. He is uninformed about the costs of these upscalers.

Guitarguy said:

I agree. Not sure how they will manage native 4k without the console being over $1,000US lol. Even an amazing external upscaler like the XRGB mini costs $300US to purchase for consumers and that unit does NOT upscale past 1080P.

Graphics Processors have their own scalers.

Captain_Yuri said:
If the rumors are true and the end product is a gpu with 4.4 TF... Good luck with that unless he means upscaling. Even the scorpio will stuggle with Native 4k

Flops have no correllation to resolution.

Guitarguy said:

A 4k internal upscaler would probably cost at much as a current-day PS4 retail.... Unless you love lots of input lag...

A professional grade one, sure. But the built in scaler in the Radeon is more than sufficient for consumer needs.

Azzanation said:
You need 4x the power then what the PS4 can do to hit 4k and so far with the rumoured Neo Specs, its not 4x the power. I do expect Sony to tweak the final specs but if its not 6tf+ I highly doubt any stable 4k gameplay.

An increase in resolution doesn't mean a linear increase in hardware capability, GPU's can have bottlenecks internally which can hamper performance at higher resolutions.

Also. Flops has no correllation with resolution.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

His statements really make me think that they're reworking Neo. There's just no way the specs we have for the Neo right now will do 4K.

The next 18 months are going to be a mess for console hardware.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

An increase in resolution doesn't mean a linear increase in hardware capability, GPU's can have bottlenecks internally which can hamper performance at higher resolutions.

Also. Flops has no correllation with resolution.

For those of us that are less hardware inclined, would you mind elaborating?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

pokoko said:
As someone who has no intention of owning a 4K television until they're like $300, and then only when my current televisions die, how bad will upscaled 4K look on 4K sets? I don't actually care about resolution, I'm just curious.

Well. U can buy a 43" 4k TV for $249.. So you are already late to buying one then..  

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m

I'm getting real fucking tired of forcing 4k for this gen. JUST GIVE ME A GOD DAMN 1080p game with 100% STABLE 30fps or quality 60fps performance.

Just stop with this bullshit already. God dammit. I was hoping they're way better than this. A stable 1080p 30/60fps gaming coupled with a 4k capable bluray player is enough. They don't need to force any of those right now as VR is already getting introduced. IMHO its feeling a little bit more shoehorned in each conference. Regardless I see potential in VR that might be something more than just a gimmick so they should just pour their resources on that instead.

I hope they don't bite that 4k gaming bullshit. When better architecture/designs is available for next gen then we can talk.

iron_megalith said:
I'm getting real fucking tired of forcing 4k for this gen. JUST GIVE ME A GOD DAMN 1080p game with 100% STABLE 30fps or quality 60fps performance.

Just stop with this bullshit already. God dammit. I was hoping they're way better than this. A stable 1080p 30/60fps gaming coupled with a 4k capable bluray player is enough. They don't need to force any of those right now as VR is already getting introduced. IMHO its feeling a little bit more shoehorned in each conference. Regardless I see potential in VR that might be something more than just a gimmick so they should just pour their resources on that instead.

I hope they don't bite that 4k gaming bullshit. When better architecture/designs is available for next gen then we can talk.

Give us 1080p and 60fps and let 4K wait until PS5 in 2019 :p

cpg716 said:
pokoko said:
As someone who has no intention of owning a 4K television until they're like $300, and then only when my current televisions die, how bad will upscaled 4K look on 4K sets? I don't actually care about resolution, I'm just curious.

Well. U can buy a 43" 4k TV for $249.. So you are already late to buying one then..  

where?