By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Microsoft Will Release Games On Steam

I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds too good to be true or suicidal. Could be a few of their less popular games but I doubt that they would release their stable of first party games on steam because it would likely kill their xbox consoles/windows store ventures.

Around the Network

I feel like there should be a Steambox One console then.

that's great for gamers

Xenostar said:
interesting so if you buy the steam version will that still aloow for cross play and acheivements, or is that the USP of the windows store version

You probably mean UWP, right? Also, the answer is probably no, at least for achievements. Achievement are a per-platform thing unless they specifically decide to co-operate on that. As for cross-play, there's no automatic support for it, but I suppose nothing prevents cross-play either.

Would be surprised if they did this for anticipated releases, at least for the first year or so. Would be thrilled to have games like FH3 day 1 on Steam, though.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Xenostar said:
interesting so if you buy the steam version will that still aloow for cross play and acheivements, or is that the USP of the windows store version

You probably mean UWP, right? Also, the answer is probably no, at least for achievements. Achievement are a per-platform thing unless they specifically decide to co-operate on that. As for cross-play, there's no automatic support for it, but I suppose nothing prevents cross-play either.

No USP "Unique Selling Point"

Very good news. If the Microsoft games are also on Steam, the competition between the Windows Store and Steam should lead to some good deals.

Windows 10 refuseniks shouldn't get their hopes up... I'm 100% sure that the Steam versions will also expect the Windows 10 OS.

Probably these Steam versions will also stay UWP versions and it will work similar to Ubisoft games on Steam, which combine the Uplay + Steam layer and where you get both Uplay and Steam achievements at the same time. So you'll probable get Steam achievements and Xbox-Achievements at the same time, similar to the few GfWL-games on Steam.

If it's still UWP then this goes from being a better choice for the consumer to just another way for them to make more money. UWP is part of the problem. Besides, a lot of Steam functions probably wouldn't work with UWP.

That being said, I would have no problem if things like Xbox Achievements only worked with the Microsoft Store versions.

Awesome! My Steam library is robust and I prefer the platform for purchasing games.

My older PC can only run indie and older software anyway so I will primarily be purchasing games for my Xbox consoles, but this is great news for consumers who prefer Steam.

I think that he should not call Steam "independent software vendor" , I think that this is a little offencive.