By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mistwalker is about to sell 1,000,000 copies

@dabaus

Personal attacks are personal failures in ones life. Show me a man that resorts to personal attacks, and I will show you a man who probably hasn't had a good idea in quite some time. I find it quite odd that for a failure I seem to be the center of your posting universe.

I suppose I should be flattered, but I am also really perturbed. I would much rather you direct your advances elsewhere. I have nothing against homosexuals its just not my thing. I hope this is gentle enough for you.

Around the Network
Dodece said:
@dabaus

Personal attacks are personal failures in ones life. Show me a man that resorts to personal attacks, and I will show you a man who probably hasn't had a good idea in quite some time.

Moron.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

"Show me a man that resorts to personal attacks, and I will show you a man who probably hasn't had a good idea in quite some time."

Show me anything that beats a Natural 20, and I'll show you hateful lies!

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

One thing is funny: "people" (including MS shills) touted everywhere like how MS put huge amount of money in Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, for them to respectively compete against Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. You know, the games that cost respectively in the $20 and $40 millions range to make once all is said and done. And now, you see the same people in damage control mode over a topic they brought upon themselves (talk about stupid).
Why did they bring this upon themselves? There must be a reason.
Perhaps because LO has not finished selling, and perhaps mostly because the Blue Dragon anime debuts in the USA today (or tomorrow depending on your localization), and it's part of a huge promotion campaign.

Seems to me there was a statement by MS about putting between $40-60 millions into both games, but I can't find it anywhere anymore, strangely enough (I'm not really surprised). What happened?

The delusion is going as far as people saying the publisher/devs gets $35 on a $60 game. How low can people sink in delusion to even believe such nonsense?

But go on, it's hilarious. Well, some things aren't completely hilarious, but still:
* Mistwalker is already a joke in Japan, I've said it before and I'm even more convinced of it. And it's not just Mistwalker, it's now Sakaguchi name too. I just hope Uematsu name is not caught in this failure.
* People treating Sakaguchi like he's unknown. If anything the huge sales and anticipation about Blue Dragon were mostly because of Sakaguchi and Uematsu (and Toriyama). No way it would have sold as much as it has on the XB360 if not for it. Sakaguchi just diluted his name, but some people will need more failures to realize that, it seems. AT least it's proof for the doubters that FF games were actually not successful because of Sakaguchi. I still wonder where that belief came from. The main lack of FF games is now Uematsu music, which was a big part of their success.
* The destroying of the JRPG genre that MS is doing in Japan. Fortunately, there's resistance, and some devs came to their senses (well, not sure yet). The genre was niche already, now it's heading to disaster.
* People coming with all kind of excuses for the JRPG on XB360, when a game with poor content, poor development time, poor anything like DQ Swords sold more in Japan. Seriously people, come to your senses already!

MrOuija_AK said:
Blue Dragon wouldn't have sold nearly so well without the marketing and the barren landscape of JRPGs at the moment.

Lost Odyssey is pretty damn fun, but is such a medium-budget knock off of Final Fantasy it's ridiculous. Sed is probably the worst example. He has an air ship, he's a mechanic... why didn't they just call him Cid?! Oh and let's give him an axe-gun. That's way different than Squall's Gunblade.

Honestly I think the only reason I played LO all the way through, was to prevent convulsions due to no good JRPG fix recently.

Are you serious Sed? That is hilarious. If I had an Xbox 360, I would buy Lost Odyssey just just to laugh at the obvious Cid clone.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Around the Network

@ookaze

THANK YOU for the best post on this topic

{applauds}

I hope to God Uematsu returns to S-E

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

naznatips said:

Oh and here's a fun link for you. Looks like retail developers get far less money per game sold than I originally thought. http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/news/headlines/2002futurecontentconf.shtml

"Profits will increase as the industry transitions to electronic distribution, he added. Companies could earn $30 per copy, up from about $7.50 per physical box. "

$7.50 per physical box. I would assume he's referencing PC games, which retail for $50 instead of $60, so we'll be nice and say developers of 360 and PS3 games get $10 of physical box price. And, given the fact the link is 6 years old, we can hope that maybe developers see a little more of that cut and raise it all the way to double his estimate: $15.

That would mean 2 games totalling $40 million in development would need to sell 1.3 million copies apiece to break even. Even if we went with Dodece's lowest estimates of $15 million apiece for development the games are only 1/2 of the way to breaking even. Ouch.

@dababus: Microsoft in no way owns Uematsu (they do own Sakaguchi). Uematsu is freelance. Hence the work he did on Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

I think the person who wrote that article mixed up their numbers and the $7.50 is retail's take for the game because otherwise the number just don't make sense.

For example lets look at Activision's net revenue on the 360 from October 2007 - December 2007:

According to their filing they made $435 million net revenue for that quarter off the 360. If Activision only received $15 per game sold that would mean they sold 29 million copies of games on the 360 for that quarter alone which makes no sense. On the other hand using the numbers I provided brings the number down to ~8-9 million copies of games sold (along with downloadable content) which seems much more reasonable considering VGChartz list Activison's two big releases for that quarter (Call of Duty 4 and Guitar Hero 3) as selling around 6.1 million copies for that quarter.

Dodece said:
@dabaus

Personal attacks are personal failures in ones life. Show me a man that resorts to personal attacks, and I will show you a man who probably hasn't had a good idea in quite some time. I find it quite odd that for a failure I seem to be the center of your posting universe.

I suppose I should be flattered, but I am also really perturbed. I would much rather you direct your advances elsewhere. I have nothing against homosexuals its just not my thing. I hope this is gentle enough for you.

Last i checked your the one that called me an idoit, i only said you were delusional.

ookaze said:

The delusion is going as far as people saying the publisher/devs gets $35 on a $60 game. How low can people sink in delusion to even believe such nonsense?

I think I have now more than proven that the publisher of a game gets a significant amount of money from each copy of a game sold.  I provided a link to a Forbes article in which the author talked specifically about an Xbox 360 game and then does a breakdown based on what industry experts have told him.  I also showed how it's very likely his numbers are fairly accurate based on an Activision quarterly report.  I also mentioned that Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are special cases because they're pretty much first party games so no console licensing fees had to be taken into account and Microsoft itself handled all the advertising for the game.  If you feel the numbers are incorrect then feel free to correct them.

ookaze said:

But go on, it's hilarious. Well, some things aren't completely hilarious, but still:
* Mistwalker is already a joke in Japan, I've said it before and I'm even more convinced of it. And it's not just Mistwalker, it's now Sakaguchi name too. I just hope Uematsu name is not caught in this failure.
* People treating Sakaguchi like he's unknown. If anything the huge sales and anticipation about Blue Dragon were mostly because of Sakaguchi and Uematsu (and Toriyama). No way it would have sold as much as it has on the XB360 if not for it. Sakaguchi just diluted his name, but some people will need more failures to realize that, it seems. AT least it's proof for the doubters that FF games were actually not successful because of Sakaguchi. I still wonder where that belief came from. The main lack of FF games is now Uematsu music, which was a big part of their success.
* The destroying of the JRPG genre that MS is doing in Japan. Fortunately, there's resistance, and some devs came to their senses (well, not sure yet). The genre was niche already, now it's heading to disaster.
* People coming with all kind of excuses for the JRPG on XB360, when a game with poor content, poor development time, poor anything like DQ Swords sold more in Japan. Seriously people, come to your senses already!

I don't get how Mistwalker is a joke in Japan considering Famitsu gave Blue Dragon scores of 9, 9, 9, 10 and Lost Odyssey scores of 9, 9, 9, 9.  To me those are pretty good scores and the games themselves were well received in Japan on the 360.  Keep in mind that the system itself is having trouble gaining acceptance in Japan and not all of it seems to have to do with the system's library but more it's image.

As for Microsoft destroying the JRPG genre I just don't get what you mean.  Isn't having more JRPGs a good thing?  If it wasn't for Microsoft there wouldn't be a Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and very likely some other JRPGs either.  They're pouring money into the genre but at the end of the day everyone wins because there are more JRPGs as a result.

Yeah, Mistwalker has been as big of a disappointment as anything. Blue Dragon is supposedly mediocre, while Lost Odyssey is supposed to be pretty good. Yet neither one of them have reached the bar Microsoft or the developer set for themselves. It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't been hyped to death.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson