By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mistwalker is about to sell 1,000,000 copies

They are roughly thirty thousand copies away from topping a million console game sales as of this posting. By the time North American and Japans figures for last week get factored in its likely they will be at that magical number if not by next week they will pass easily. Lost Odyssey has sold 500,000 copies, and Blue Dragon has sold 470,000 copies. That has to be a sobering realization for many on these forums. These titles aren't even done wracking up sales either.

Mistwalker is actually being very successful on the 360 proving the skeptics wrong. How well will they be doing by the end of this year? How well will the genre be doing by the end of the year? When you look at the other consoles the Wii, and the PS3 the disparity is almost embarassing. Nobody is doing as well as Mistwalker on the next generation consoles, and Square has actually brought two of their franchises to the next generation market. Dragon Quest, and Chocobo. So it isn't like Mistwalker has gone uncontested in the JRPG genre. 

Mistwalker has come out of nowhere, and made a very powerful statement. Just as the 360 has made a powerful statement about roleplaying games in general. I had to point this out for all the critics out there. Where is the failure that was foretold? I am sure as hell not seeing it in these numbers.  

Around the Network

Ya know, pardon me...

But considering that Mistwalker was hyped as the mother %#$#&$ savior of RPG games, that they would both revolutionize the genre and bring RPGs back to their core, they haven't been amazingly successful.

What's their next game, Cry On?

Next million seller confirmed!

1 million over 2 games isn't great. Especially when Blue Dragon was hyped as the end all be all RPG prior to its release.

Maybe if they didn't make these games 360 exclusive...

nobody is doing as well as mistwalker? Try Epic, Infinity Ward, The team that made Assassin's Creed, 2K Boston, Bioware, there are no shortage of devs selling way more than a million copies with just ONE of their titles.

Around the Network

Is this a joke thread? 

Yeah mistwalker came out of nowhere. They only had the father of final fantasy himself, the composer of final fantasy, the funding of microsoft, and ex square staff.

I think someone should star a thread about how much Sqaure has sold on the ps2 and ds.

Dodec i think your pulling strings when you have to combine the sales of 2 games to reach 1 million, one of which has been out since august.

quick question that doesn't really have much to do with this topic.....

is Mistwalker "chained" to Microsoft or could they actually make games for the ps3 if they wanted to?

Currently Watching - Naruto, One Piece

Waiting For - Skyrim, Mass Effect 3

PS3 Trophies

FelmanX said:
nobody is doing as well as mistwalker? Try Epic, Infinity Ward, The team that made Assassin's Creed, 2K Boston, Bioware, there are no shortage of devs selling way more than a million copies with just ONE of their titles.

I think he was referring to companies that release rpgs.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

now... if you do copy sold per disc, then you get something like 100K/disc, which is terrible. ;)

Mistwalker isn't exactly came-out-of-no-where-rookies.

Too bad they only release their games on 360, or else I wouldn't mind getting a copy

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

@FelmanX

In regards to the genre. Everyone knows other genres are fairing far better then the RPG genre in general, and the JRPG genre in specific. This thread is about the fact that Mistwalker is about to pass a major milestone in game sales, and they are doing well in spite of all the spiteful proclamations of many on these forums. Many said the developer would fail, and that the genre would not succeed on the 360.

Well Mistwalker has been successful, and in fact has been more successful then anyone else in their niche genre so far this generation. Square has thrown out two titles, and Mistwalker has thrown out two titles. The difference is that Mistwalker has done more with its first two titles of this generation then Square has or any other JRPG developer has. That says something whether the peanut gallery likes it or not.