By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mistwalker is about to sell 1,000,000 copies

Dodece said:

They are roughly thirty thousand copies away from topping a million console game sales as of this posting. By the time North American and Japans figures for last week get factored in its likely they will be at that magical number if not by next week they will pass easily. Lost Odyssey has sold 500,000 copies, and Blue Dragon has sold 470,000 copies. That has to be a sobering realization for many on these forums. These titles aren't even done wracking up sales either.

Racking up sales? Yes because we all know blue dragon lit the world on fire in sales and for Lost Odyssey to have the "mysique" of a FF game I think its sales are not that good. LO has sold better than i expected but Mistwalker is not doing half as great as you make them sound.

Mistwalker is actually being very successful on the 360 proving the skeptics wrong. How well will they be doing by the end of this year? How well will the genre be doing by the end of the year? When you look at the other consoles the Wii, and the PS3 the disparity is almost embarassing. Nobody is doing as well as Mistwalker on the next generation consoles, and Square has actually brought two of their franchises to the next generation market. Dragon Quest, and Chocobo. So it isn't like Mistwalker has gone uncontested in the JRPG genre.

Dragon quest and chocobo dungeon were shit games to make a quick buck, not a fair comparison.

Mistwalker has come out of nowhere, and made a very powerful statement.

The only statement ive seen them made is hype doesnt garuntee sales. And as King of w. said these are not rookies to making rpgs.

Just as the 360 has made a powerful statement about roleplaying games in general.

What powerful statement has the 360 made about rpg's that no other console has?

I had to point this out for all the critics out there. Where is the failure that was foretold? I am sure as hell not seeing it in these numbers.

As I said before, the fact that you have to compare the sales of 2 games to reach 1 million is pathetic. Look, i can tell you're an MS fanboy fighting the good fight proving to us that mistwalker isnt doing as bad as some would believe, and thats cool. But theres fanboy and delusional and I think your among the latter my friend.

Around the Network
animefobber said:
quick question that doesn't really have much to do with this topic.....

is Mistwalker "chained" to Microsoft or could they actually make games for the ps3 if they wanted to?

They could make games for PS3, but part of the reason Sakaguchi formed Mistwalker was to get way from Sony and Square Enix. 

Not to mention the considerable financial backing from Microsoft.

smbu2000 said:
FelmanX said:
nobody is doing as well as mistwalker? Try Epic, Infinity Ward, The team that made Assassin's Creed, 2K Boston, Bioware, there are no shortage of devs selling way more than a million copies with just ONE of their titles.

I think he was referring to companies that release rpgs.

There's only been shovelware JRPG releases so far. Why would he compare mistwalker games to quick cash-ins?

I was under the impression that sakaguchi was fired/retired because the spirits within did so bad it made squaresoft go bankrupt. Why would he try to get away from sony, they were the ones that distributed his movie? so if anything they tried to promote the spirits within. I admit i dont kn ow everyhitng about saka. life but from what little i know of japanese culture he was probaly shunned assuming he was fired, MS saw this as an oppertunity to snatch up someone renown for making rpgs. I could be completey wrong as well though.

I guess the point of this post was to point out that Sakaguchi and sony are not at odds with each other as darc reqium would have us believe.

Around the Network

Well I agree with him on one thing... the fact that 2 games who's combined development cost has totaled well over $60 million haven't even hit 1 million yet is very sobering. Considering it will require at least 4 million between the 2 games to recoup the dev costs, I'd say this is a sad realization for many people...

@Naznatips

Care to provide a link, or are you talking out of your ass. Yeah I am calling you on this provide the link. Somehow I seriously doubt that Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey have development budgets that rival Killzone 2 and Final Fantasy XIII. Hell Lost Odyssey uses the Unreal engine.

Dodec im calling you out to respond to the post I made where I disagreed with your statements. The one with red letters and all that jazz.

edit: Technically mistwalker has already sold 1 million games. ASH, a jrpg for the ds has sold about 100k. So out of 3 games Mistwalker has sold roughly 1,100,000 games. Im sorry but that sucks, espeacially when you throw a jrpg on the ds into the equation. 

For the American market Mist Walker has very well for making RPGs, for the Japanese market it has done well for the 360 user base, for the amount of money MS has dropped into BD and LO, well that's not quite as pretty a story.

Blue Dragon wouldn't have sold nearly so well without the marketing and the barren landscape of JRPGs at the moment.

Lost Odyssey is pretty damn fun, but is such a medium-budget knock off of Final Fantasy it's ridiculous. Sed is probably the worst example. He has an air ship, he's a mechanic... why didn't they just call him Cid?! Oh and let's give him an axe-gun. That's way different than Squall's Gunblade.

Honestly I think the only reason I played LO all the way through, was to prevent convulsions due to no good JRPG fix recently.