By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mistwalker is about to sell 1,000,000 copies

Had they been on ps3 they would EACH easily be over 1 mil.

Around the Network

@dabaus513

1. Your first statement is an opinion. Exactly how did I make them sound better then what they are when I provide the numbers right there in my original post. The point is they are doing better then some said they would. Give credit where credit was due.

2. I will compare crappy games if I feel like it. Square doesn't like it. Then they need to stop churning out crappy games. Honestly the Japanese do not seem to mind terribly they bought half a million copies of Dragon Quest. Are you actually supporting Squares disdain for gamers. This proves Mistwalker is bad how?

3. You must have a selective memory or haven't been around long enough there have been enough posters that have actively attacked Sakaguchi and Mistwalker. The fact that they haven't the balls to say it now. Doesn't mean they were not saying it before Blue Dragon left Japan, or Lost Odyssey had its launch.

4. What powerful statement? People like to label consoles, and the 360 wasn't labeled a RPG machine, and yet there it is with the most, the best, and selling them reasonably well. Defying the expectations of certain people. They will not argue this anymore, and you probably shouldn't waste you time either.

5. Well I happen to think your a idiot as well, but that doesn't mean we cannot be cordial. Come at me with some numbers rather then bland baseless statements. Go do your homework. Compare how the respective consoles and the respective developers are doing. I think you will be terribly shocked.

Nothing to get excited over really :/

Dodece said:
@Naznatips

Care to provide a link, or are you talking out of your ass. Yeah I am calling you on this provide the link. Somehow I seriously doubt that Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey have development budgets that rival Killzone 2 and Final Fantasy XIII. Hell Lost Odyssey uses the Unreal engine.

Cory Barlog (God of War 2 dev) said last gen games cost about $20-$30 million to develop, and this gen big budget games cost nearly double that. Even assuming the two games are medium budget, it's ridiculous to even suggest they cost less than $30 million each. In fact, you're right. What was I thinking. I should have said that they probably cost more than $70 million combined. Thanks for the "calling me out" Dodece lol.

naznatips said:
Dodece said:
@Naznatips

Care to provide a link, or are you talking out of your ass. Yeah I am calling you on this provide the link. Somehow I seriously doubt that Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey have development budgets that rival Killzone 2 and Final Fantasy XIII. Hell Lost Odyssey uses the Unreal engine.

Cory Barlog (God of War 2 dev) said last gen games cost about $20-$30 million to develop, and this gen big budget games cost nearly double that. Even assuming the two games are medium budget, it's ridiculous to even suggest they cost less than $30 million each. In fact, you're right. What was I thinking. I should have said that they probably cost more than $70 million combined. Thanks for the "calling me out" Dodece lol.

I doubt they were that expensive.

Around the Network

You doubt that an Xbox 360 game was more expensive than a PS2 game? Are Wii games now more than PS3 games?

Dodece said:
@dabaus513

1. Your first statement is an opinion. Exactly how did I make them sound better then what they are when I provide the numbers right there in my original post. The point is they are doing better then some said they would. Give credit where credit was due.

Yes i can see the numbers, and as I said before, the fact that you have to compare 2 games to reach 1 million does not reek of success as you would have us believe. Aslo ypu present Mistwalker as the rpg underdogs when in reality they have alot going for them.

2. I will compare crappy games if I feel like it. Square doesn't like it. Then they need to stop churning out crappy games. Honestly the Japanese do not seem to mind terribly they bought half a million copies of Dragon Quest. Are you actually supporting Squares disdain for gamers. This proves Mistwalker is bad how?

I said myself those were shitty games to make a quick buck so how could you mistke that with supporting sqaure in their endeaver to milk a series? I still dont think its a fair comparison between lost odyssey and chocobo dungeon as far as jrpg sales so far this gen. LO is supposed to be Mistwalkers equivalant to final fantasy. But whatever do as you want.

3. You must have a selective memory or haven't been around long enough there have been enough posters that have actively attacked Sakaguchi and Mistwalker. The fact that they haven't the balls to say it now. Doesn't mean they were not saying it before Blue Dragon left Japan, or Lost Odyssey had its launch.

You must have selective memory, Mistwaker has released 3 games and has sold about roughly 1,100,000 games. That is not good, espeacially for a company with talented people such as this. Im not on a crusade agianst mistwalker as you may believe but their sales numbers are not that impressive all things considered.

4. What powerful statement? People like to label consoles, and the 360 wasn't labeled a RPG machine, and yet there it is with the most, the best, and selling them reasonably well. Defying the expectations of certain people. They will not argue this anymore, and you probably shouldn't waste you time either.

All right i see your point. The 360 does have the best rpg's this gen so far, point taken.

5. Well I happen to think your a idiot as well, but that doesn't mean we cannot be cordial. Come at me with some numbers rather then bland baseless statements. Go do your homework. Compare how the respective consoles and the respective developers are doing. I think you will be terribly shocked.

I never said you were an idiot, only delusional. I came at you with numbers. 1,100,000 games sold total between 2 cosoles, 360 and DS, and between 3 different games. That doesnt sound very good to me. Yes rpgs are doing ok on the 360, nobody is denying that, but they are not doing great as you'd have us believe. Well its getting late and i have to go to bed. Goodnight all.

Dodece said:
@Naznatips

Well, these games were both in production for 3 years+. It's unsensible to think anything less than 45 million combined. I do think naz overshot the number a bit. Uncharted cost 20 mil with marketing and all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

dabaus513 said:

I was under the impression that sakaguchi was fired/retired because the spirits within did so bad it made squaresoft go bankrupt. Why would he try to get away from sony, they were the ones that distributed his movie? so if anything they tried to promote the spirits within. I admit i dont kn ow everyhitng about saka. life but from what little i know of japanese culture he was probaly shunned assuming he was fired, MS saw this as an oppertunity to snatch up someone renown for making rpgs. I could be completey wrong as well though.

I guess the point of this post was to point out that Sakaguchi and sony are not at odds with each other as darc reqium would have us believe.

My only source for this is wikipidia so take it with a grain of salt, but

"Chris Lee, the producer of Final Fantasy, defended his use of animation, stating that live actors often cannot physically accomplish what computer characters easily can, citing his experience from making Starship Troopers and Godzilla."

Sakaguchi oversaw production of the movie which means he o-kayed that decision and it probably put him in the dog house at Square.  Got to love the reasoning with that quote though, we need these humans in this movie to do certain things that humans in real life can't, so lets animate everything.  It didn't bankrupt Square, though it wasn't for a lack of effort.  They are not big enough to take a 100+ million dollar loss and that caused the merger with Enix and probably Sony buying like 30% of the company.

outlawauron said:
Dodece said:
@Naznatips

Well, these games were both in production for 3 years+. It's unsensible to think anything less than 45 million combined. I do think naz overshot the number a bit. Uncharted cost 20 mil with marketing and all.

I'm still having trouble believing that number. Seems PR'd up. I remember the interview well, but it just seems ridiculously cheap given the dev time, the quality of development, the platform of development, and the developers involved.  Especially with big name developers claiming a good nextgen HD game costs 40-60 million.