By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mistwalker is about to sell 1,000,000 copies

naznatips said:
Oh? Can you prove that? Call of Duty 4 launched in and stayed in the top sales on Steam.... and every estimate in existence says you get significantly more money for a copy sold on steam than a copy in retail. And again, you are ignoring the fact that GH3 completely skews your "statistic." There are far too many flaws in your logic for you to use it as a realistic defense of your argument.

Around 4 times as much if you believe Gabe Newell's stats. (30 vs $7.5.) Perhaps a little less, but the raise in console costs on 360 and PS3 games are in part due to liscensing costs i'd imagine.

That's what they consider the costs and profits when Valve itself is working through retail. 

According to him each computer sale of COD4 would be about equal to 4 console sales.

That's not even counting the massive amount of money it saves Activision in publishing costs. The costs of publishing can be massive when you count everything that's included.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Oh? Can you prove that? Call of Duty 4 launched in and stayed in the top sales on Steam.... and every estimate in existence says you get significantly more money for a copy sold on steam than a copy in retail. And again, you are ignoring the fact that GH3 completely skews your "statistic."  There are far too many flaws in your logic for you to use it as a realistic defense of your argument.

Yeah sure I can.  Look at how much money Activision brought in and look at what games were released in that 3 month period.  When the PC side brings in net revenues of $87.5 million and the 360 brings in $435.9 million it makes sense that they sold more on the 360.  I mean if they make significantly more money on a copy sold on steam then that means going by those numbers that they sold even more copies on the 360 compared to the PC than the numbers suggest.

Legend11 said:
naznatips said:
Oh? Can you prove that? Call of Duty 4 launched in and stayed in the top sales on Steam.... and every estimate in existence says you get significantly more money for a copy sold on steam than a copy in retail. And again, you are ignoring the fact that GH3 completely skews your "statistic." There are far too many flaws in your logic for you to use it as a realistic defense of your argument.

Yeah sure I can. Look at how much money Activision brought in and look at what games were released in that 3 month period. When the PC side brings in net revenues of $87.5 million and the 360 brings in $435.9 million it makes sense that they sold more on the 360. I mean if they make significantly more money on a copy sold on steam then that means going by those numbers that they sold even more copies on the 360 compared to the PC than the numbers suggest.

Except that those are revenue breakdowns, and you don't have profit breakdowns... making your point moot.

All profit and dev cost debating aside, I was curious to compare rpg game attach rates so I did some math comparing LO sales to FF on PS2.

I know theres other factors involved that people will want to bring up but whatever. 

According to this sites game database, FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII sold about 8 million copies each so far, with the infamous FF7 at almost 10 million. ZOMG total dominance!! But wait thats with the PS2's worldwide userbase of 117 million over a few years. Math tells me about 6.8 % of PS2 users bought into the FFX series and 8.5% of all PS2 owners picked up FF7.

Soooo, if LO so far sold a cool half million against a WW userbase of (almost) 18 million, then that means about 2.8% of 360 owners picked this up so far (remember its only been out for a few months), with BD slightly below. LO will keep going for a while, so I wouldnt be surprised to see this number get to 4 or even 5% over its lifetime if not more. Comparatively not as good as FF, but not bad for a system thats trying to lose its "FPS only" reputation ... and far from the "flop" many a fanboy like to declare it is.

I personally own both LO and BD, and love em. Regardless of whatever numbers people want to spin, these games have been a great addition to the 360 library. I hope Mistwalker keeps cranking em out. I dont care what system they put it on.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Naz -

Why don't you give some actual information, citing steam, rather than the "CoD4 was #1 on steam for a long time" - So what? that #1 for a very long time could equal 1 week of COD4 on the X360 right now.

You have no numbers, whatsoever, to back your claims up. You know better than argue without numbers. Atleast legend gave P&L statements that back up his opinion....You did not.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

So basicaly some of you are just piss off because MS and thus the 360 got some of the best JRPG this gen (and from the look of thing will be getting more).

I don't know, but I am having a blast playing LO, I am on disc 3.  The game is just fun.

I am just curious how did Rogue Galaxy sold?  (and is it any good?, my local FM had it on clearance awhile back (before Christmas but I pass on it because I was so back log with 360 games then.  Now I regret not grabbing it for later like in the Summer when there are less games.

Sign of a good JPRG... couldnt put it down for 3 weeks, humming the soundtrack in your head during work. Check both for me!

Rogue Galaxy sold pretty bad in the US....Less than Blue Dragon (I think 150k in the US).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I google a bit and the best I found on Rogue Galaxy sale is just little over 100k. So I don't know why so much hate for Mistwalker. Blue Dragon is fun, if you like Dragon Quest type games it's just like it. LO is excellent ... slow start (typical JRPG) but once you get into it, it just hook you in. So where is BD at now in the US and Japan?

mysticD said:
I google a bit and the best I found on Rogue Galaxy sale is just little over 100k. So I don't know why so much hate for Mistwalker. Blue Dragon is fun, if you like Dragon Quest type games it's just like it. LO is excellent ... slow start (typical JRPG) but once you get into it, it just hook you in. So where is BD at now in the US and Japan?

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=2931

According to VGC it's at US: ~200K, ~Japan: 210K, Others: ~60K for a total of ~470K. It is still the highest selling Xbox 360 game in Japan by a long shot.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"