By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

nanarchy said:

AsGryffynn said:   

Zen based, since it seems to fit perfectly with projections for it and AMD reports... 

Zen is AMD's upcoming CPU line not GPU. Polaris is the new GPU line but given the timeline this also could be a cut down VEGA based GPU, don't think I have seen anything beyond rumor and speculation on exactly which chips. Will be interesting to see.

Rx400? That's what we'll see... If Wikipedia is to be believed, our GPU has to be stronger than the most powerful of all GPU's in AMD's scheduled repertoire short of dedicated ones... And technically, both are Polaris (yes, Vega is a flavor of Polaris chipsets)... 

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
nanarchy said:

Zen is AMD's upcoming CPU line not GPU. Polaris is the new GPU line but given the timeline this also could be a cut down VEGA based GPU, don't think I have seen anything beyond rumor and speculation on exactly which chips. Will be interesting to see.

Rx400? That's what we'll see... If Wikipedia is to be believed, our GPU has to be stronger than the most powerful of all GPU's in AMD's scheduled repertoire short of dedicated ones... And technically, both are Polaris (yes, Vega is a flavor of Polaris chipsets)... 

neither Polaris10 or Polaris11 seem quite powerful enough to meet what was announced. personally I would not trust wikipedia as a source for anything. regardless VEGA10 rumours have it "supposedly" coming in at around 7-8tflops at launch, which if even close to true would mean this could be in the ballpark, but can't see how that could be made affordable.

nanarchy said:
AsGryffynn said:

neither Polaris10 or Polaris11 seem quite powerful enough to meet what was announced. personally I would not trust wikipedia as a source for anything. regardless VEGA10 rumours have it "supposedly" coming in at around 7-8tflops at launch, which if even close to true would mean this could be in the ballpark, but can't see how that could be made affordable.

Wikipedia is more accurate than your use of Tflop.
Check the citations.

AMD's Vega whilst based on Craphics Core Next gen 4.0, has a completely different memory subsystem, likely more (And maybe better) geometry engines with a superior ROP/TMU count, caching etc'. It will have a different efficiency curve than Polaris.
Thus even if Vega had the same amount of Tflop as Polaris, it would still be faster.

nanarchy said:

AsGryffynn said:   

Zen based, since it seems to fit perfectly with projections for it and AMD reports... 

Very much doubt that it would be Zen based even for the CPU.
Zen wouldn't have been taped out when these refresher consoles hit the design stage... And it takes over a year for a chip to go from being taped out, to production. - Add on top a semi-custom SoC design and that time frame blows out, you would start looking at early 2018 before it would be ready.
Jaguar, Puma and Puma+ is likely the CPU cores beings used.

Vega is essentially a "Big" Polaris, it will likely have more of everything, more Geometry Engines, Render Output Pipelines, Texture Mapping Units, GCN Pipelines backed with bigger, faster caches and memory subsystem, I would assume the memory controller removed the support for GDDR5/GDDR5X memory.
But like Zen, it's not ready for prime time just yet, Microsoft and Sony will be using Polaris.

AsGryffynn said:
nanarchy said:

Well. To be fair, AMD was conservative with the clocks, OEM's will likely have overclocked and higher voltage versions of these cards which will give them a run for their money.

AMD's FuryX is still faster than Polaris, but Polaris overclocked will beat FuryX.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
nanarchy said:

Check the citations.

AMD's Vega whilst based on Craphics Core Next gen 4.0, has a completely different memory subsystem, likely more (And maybe better) geometry engines with a superior ROP/TMU count, caching etc'. It will have a different efficiency curve than Polaris.
Thus even if Vega had the same amount of Tflop as Polaris, it would still be faster.

Tflops is currently THE ONLY thing we have to go on at this point, I don't like it anymore than you but you can't do any estimates any other way as it was litterally the ONLY piece of information provided. wikipedia is a pile of shit and whether any given article is correct is potluck.

barneystinson69 said:
thismeintiel said:
There's a big problem with the Scorpio that Xbox fans probably don't want to admit. It is basically the end of Xbox HW. Mark my words, the Scorpio will be mostly sold as a Windows 10 box by Holiday 2017. MS is going to try and go up against Steam and the Steam boxes, hence why all XBO games will be launching on PC. If it fails, you will be most likely saying goodbye to MS in the console biz.

And really, I can't tell who the Scorpio is for. Why spend $499 (my guess on the price) on an entire system that no longer has exclusives, when you can spend $199 and get a 5.5 Tflops GPU for your PC and play any MS Studios game you want? As for the Neo, I'm sure Sony is going to get it to 5 Tflops-5.5 Tflops. It will also be the best place to play all of the PS4's many exclusives. So, I can see that actually having a market, while Xbox's fortunes will not be turned around.

Sorry, but I don't see the xbox becoming a Windows 10 box. It'll obviously be more integrating with a PC, but its not going to become just a PC in a box. And BTW, a scorpio powered GPU is around 200$ (RX480) today, I think in a year and a half you could be able to get it into a 400$ machine (granted with a slight loss).

RX480 Is weaker than the projected Scorpio specs. 4.5 Tflops vs 6.

Also there's no way an RX480 is doing 4k60fps even if it was powering the Scorpio.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
Suddenly power doesn't matter anymore! lol.

When graphics have plateaued it doesn't. Look at Uncharted 4. Probably the best looking game of all time. The only way up from that is 60fps.

nanarchy said:
Pemalite said:

Check the citations.

Tflops is currently THE ONLY thing we have to go on at this point, I don't like it anymore than you but you can't do any estimates any other way as it was litterally the ONLY piece of information provided. wikipedia is a pile of shit and whether any given article is correct is potluck.

No it isn't all that we have to go on... And even if it was, it's about as accurate as using the shader counts to gauge the performance of a part.

As for Wikipedia. There are citations, use them, they are accurate, they are there for a reason.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Not really, the Neo is powerful enough to do 60 FPS 1080p. While the Scorpio will a expensive device which has not got enough power to do 4K native. It will likely be upscaled and MS end up lying to consumers, guess we will find out in 2017.

Everyday now a thread about who is better, sony or microsoft ( don't forget nintendo)... Enjoy playing games, that's better

Pemalite said:
nanarchy said:

No it isn't all that we have to go on... And even if it was, it's about as accurate as using the shader counts to gauge the performance of a part.

As for Wikipedia. There are citations, use them, they are accurate, they are there for a reason.

Awesome so what is the other information we have to go on?