By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Can't Win.

Will Xbox Continue to be outsold 2:1?

Yes 151 78.24%

No 25 12.95%

Maybe 17 8.81%

Total:193
Johnw1104 said:
JRPGfan said:

For a company that plans to produce millions of the console, wouldn't too much overclocking be quite a hit in terms of repairs? It increases the failure rate of the hardware.

No it doesnt.

Only if you dont have a sufficient good cooling unit.

Look at the RX 480, those units run at like 1200mhz+ (higher power, higher clock rate).

Why is the PS4 neo rumored to have its gpu part running 911mhz ?

To keep power consumption down, and to keep it cool, with a small cooling unit.

The answear is simple then, simply put on a bigger cooling unit, and clock the gpu higher.

If they do that, the teraflops of performance it can deliver will go up.

The gpu parts are made to run faster, and use more power, without it effecting anything.

Its simply a matter of cooling.

Sony just has to make a bigger box, with a more powerfull cooling unit.

The chip stays the same as it is now.

Around the Network

The slim and Scorpio will definitely increase the sales of the xbox one. It won't outsell the ps4 but it might stop being 2:1 for a while.

Can't win what, exactly? A sales graph on VGChartz? If their plan to broaden their gaming audience by including the 100,000,000+ Windows 10 devices succeeds, they'll likely be too busy counting money to really care.

Sony is taking a somewhat similar strategy with PSNow, expanding their gaming audience onto other devices. But nothing with the pull MS has with Windows. It's funny how it's positive when Sony does it, negative when MS does it. At least now we can put an end to all the doom and gloom, "MS is killing off Xbox" nonsense that was going on here recently. This Windows 10 push and Scorpio shows they're more invested than ever :)

Also, especially this generation, it's become very evident that MicroSony simply doesn't consider the PC market to overlap much at all with consoles. People just make it wanna seem like there is huge overlap.

For the foreseeable future, it seems like PS4 is indeed going to continue selling better than Xbox One by a margin of 2:1.

JRPGfan said:
Johnw1104 said:

For a company that plans to produce millions of the console, wouldn't too much overclocking be quite a hit in terms of repairs? It increases the failure rate of the hardware.

No it doesnt.

Only if you dont have a sufficient good cooling unit.

Look at the RX 480, those units run at like 1200mhz+ (higher power, higher clock rate).

Why is the PS4 neo rumored to have its gpu part running 911mhz ?

To keep power consumption down, and to keep it cool, with a small cooling unit.

The answear is simple then, simply put on a bigger cooling unit, and clock the gpu higher.

If they do that, the teraflops of performance it can deliver will go up.

The gpu parts are made to run faster, and use more power, without it effecting anything.

Its simply a matter of cooling.

Sony just has to make a bigger box, with a more powerfull cooling unit.

The chip stays the same as it is now.

These consoles aren't exactly designed with a lot of free space, they'd probably have to redesign it to fit a larger cooling unit in there. These things just move so slowly that it seems like it's rather late in the game to change things.

Otherwise, everything I've read suggests overclocking does indeed increase the failure rate including a data gathering survey from Microsoft, but strangely there's not been much in the way of information released about it. I think it would be too difficult to acquire reliable data with specific conditions such as what cooling units were being used and such... for instance, I bought a MONSTER of a heat sink for my CPU, but my PC doesn't even know it's there were it to send failure data in.

If you're right I'll have to start overclocking my stuff more lol, I didn't skimp on the heatsink and ventilation, this thing never gets hot.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
JRPGfan said:

These consoles aren't exactly designed with a lot of free space, they'd probably have to redesign it to fit a larger cooling unit in there. These things just move so slowly that it seems like it's rather late in the game to change things.

Otherwise, everything I've read suggests overclocking does indeed increase the failure rate including a data gathering survey from Microsoft, but strangely there's not been much in the way of information released about it. I think it would be too difficult to acquire reliable data with specific conditions such as what cooling units were being used and such... for instance, I bought a MONSTER of a heat sink for my CPU, but my PC doesn't even know it's there were it to send failure data in.

If you're right I'll have to start overclocking my stuff more lol, I didn't skimp on the heatsink and ventilation, this thing never gets hot.

They wouldnt have to spend much time redesigning it.

They just make the plastic shroud abit taller (2cm or so), and put in a taller cooling unit (bigger fan).

I am right.

The avg cpu life spand is like 15+ years at normal opperations.

Even if you give it more power than its designed to, and overclock it, chances are you ll still get 8-10 years outta it.

By then as a PC user, you ll probably want a new cpu anyways (the more power part, is what hurts it the most).

Just remember to keep it well cooled.

Also that isnt even the case for the PS4 neo.

Its running "less" than normal clock rates.

This wouldnt be a overclock, it would be a put it back to normal clock rates, type of deal.

RX runs much higher than 911mhz.

Just wondering how many games did Sony show at e3 that releasing this year?

betacon said:
Machiavellian said:

Basically what you are saying that Sony will have to scrap pretty much everything they have done if the rumors are true.  Probably bite billions in contracts, RD, Beta systems and a whole buch of misc stuff that goes along with a hardware cycle, eat all that cost when they are in a recovery period and then go back to the drawing board and do it all over again.  Yeah, thats probably not going to happen.  Even though its a gamer fantasy that these companies can just absord huge lost just because a competitor might have an edge, it really do not work out that way.

What the neo is going to be sold along side the base ps4, they wont have to rip up any deals.

To compete with the Scorpio it would not be a slight change and thus cost exponentially more.  I really do not believe a lot of you know the scale of such a change would cost but you can believe its not minor.  The most probably Sony could do is some overclocks in memory, GPU, CPU and even then probably not a lot.  Its not like they are purchasing retail products but the defects that come off the line that does not have a lot of head room for Overclocking.  Even then they have to be very careful with heat since the system they are looking to put in does not have the same active cooling to handle excess heat.

ms will win this holiday
do not underestimate the power of the slim

jason1637 said:
Just wondering how many games did Sony show at e3 that releasing this year?

Id guess like 15 outta 25 or so games.

I didnt write down games and release dates, id have to rewatch the thing and cant be arsed right now.

Most of them where 2016.